1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VAIS AIC-100i Install Locations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dlskier, Oct 10, 2005.

1. dlskier

dlskier Junior Member

Has anyone found an install spot for the VAIS AIC-100i that isn't visible and isn't in the glove box?

Looking for a successful under seat or behind dash location.

I've had mine for a couple weeks but I am waiting to hear where I should install it. I'd prefer to keep my glove box storage capacity :)

2. jaybee

jaybee Junior Member

Yes, mine is in my glove box and it's quite unruly.

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i mounted mine under the kickpanel below the glove box. not completely out of sight, but relatively hard to notice

4. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Which I look at as a good thing.

One of the great things about having the "factory installed" radio is that (I hope) to a car thief, there doesn't look like there's much there to steal. And the VAIS unit, which is hidden in the glove box, gives no hint that there's "anything here to see". Move along! :D

But if someone did break and and opened the glove box, it's quite likely that they'd miss the iPod Nano -- because I've got such a rat's nest in there.

Hmmm... maybe if I added a few more empty candy wrappers to the top layer... :)

5. dlskier

dlskier Junior Member

Bookrats... you scare me :p

6. slortz

slortz New Member

I mounted mine in the dash panel directly behind the steering wheel. It was a tight fit but it goes in. I routed the cable across to the lower glove box and fed it through the back...there's plenty of slack.
    I haven't used my CD changer since getting the AIC-100i. Plus, my Ipod is always charged. Used to be a bother remembering to bring it in my house to dock and charge it since I didn't have a car charger. Now, I only bring it in when I want to update a playlist.

7. datavortex

datavortex New Member

Now I just need a way so that my podcasts are updated wirelessly to my iPod whenever I put the Prius in park. :)

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Pod casts or do you mean Video Pod Casts as well as movies and other video. Pigs have flown and Steve is building a Video iPod. My VAIS AIC-100i is already out of date. When are we going to have one that does pictures and video on the MFD? I want album covers!!! I want video!

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    figures he would do this to me only 2 weeks after i went out and got a another plain old pic ipod...

10. aka007ii

aka007ii New Member

That's what you need to expect from Apple. Constant change and strategic moves forward. And most of all making your current Apple product obsolite in less than a year. I told my sister her new iMac would be out of date in 6 months and it was more like 3. I too just purchased an iPod Photo and now for the same price you get smaller form factor, more storage and video.

11. priusman88

priusman88 Junior Member

Someone else mentioned putting it to the left of the glovebox, behind the air vent. I've put mine there, along with the ground loop whatever-the-hell-it's-called thing. It's a tight squeeze, but it all fits and the glovebox remains nice and roomy. For a glovebox.

12. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    For those of you who have managed to fit yours in places other than the glove box, could you PLEASE!!!! post some pictures and detailed instructions?

I would very greatly appreciate it!

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok i mounted mine under the kick plate located below the glove box. the cover snaps into place, no tools needed for removal. has two studes that align with holes in the back. line em up and swing cover up to snap into place on each front corner. in the far left corner is a vent opening. i ran the wires through there, and plugged them in. had it this way because wanted the aux connectors accessible without too much problems in case someone had something that can be plugged in.

the interface with both ipods are in the storage under the stereo

just to let you know, when using the aux for a 2nd ipod like me, the AIC acts as a amp so volume controls on ipod and car stereo work. 2nd ipod is all podcasts and mostly talk radio... Bob Rivers, this week in tech, Mac World, Science Friday...etc

14. nakedbear

nakedbear New Member

I just shoved mine behind the radio, it fits ok

15. Jay105000

Jay105000 New Member

That look pretty clean and you have to duck or going down in the seat to see it. That will be my first option when I get my VAIS unit

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just as an aside, you can mount it on the other side but was afraid of heat issues since the panel is insulated. plus i found that not having it accessible was a pain since i do have the occasion to unplug one of the ipods to hear some "guest" music

17. aabbas

aabbas New Member

This might have been what someone else mentioned, I'm not sure:

I mounted mine behind the vent panel to the right of the glovebox. It snaps off just like the one between the glovebox and the radio, and you can insert the unit in the front and then connect the cables. It's a little tight but it works.

Alex

18. saltydog4791

saltydog4791 New Member

This is exactly what I want, the ability to put the ipod(s) in the little compartment under the radio, but I just don't understand how you did it based on what I have read. Could you elaborate further, or am I just not getting it. I did it the hybrideyes' way and that made me squeamish. I don't know how much more I am capable of doing myself. :)

Thanks for any further input, and I do like pictures. ;)

saltydog

19. SwanDive

SwanDive New Member

Someone can (and probably will, lol) correct me if I'm wrong, but I assume you can drill a hole in the rear of that little compartment and feed the ipod connection cable through it from the back. Then you can connect the ipod and leave it in the compartment easily.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i had to drill a hole in the back of the compartment under the radio to snake the cables into the back. the actual process may seem complicated but is actually very easy.

the kick panel under the glovebox has a vent opening in the corner to run the wires through to the AIC unit so no drilling needed there.

i can post some more pics, but hybrideyes pics are all you really need. see the pic i posted in the previous post. go out to your car and remove that panel, (it has two snap clips in the front that pop off and two studs in the back that fit into slots. pop the two clips in the front and swing the whole thing down and towards you to remove) you will see all you need. with the glove box out, it should be a snap