1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VAIS installation in a 2006 is done.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by DocVijay, Dec 21, 2005.

1. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I brought home my 2006 Prius. I just installed my VAIS AVC-100i, which had been updated to the v3.50 firmware in order to work with my iPod w/ video.

Well, I plugged everything in, connected teh iPod, and turned on teh Prius and got... nothing. The iPod charges just fine, but the VAIS logo never shows up, and when switching modes on the stereo, no MD changer shows up.

Anyone have this happen with their installs on a 2004 or 2005? What fixed it? Or is this only a problem with the 2006's...

2. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Progress!!! Well, sort of. So I reconfigured the AVC-100i to emulate a CD changer. Now when I switch modes w/ steering wheel control...

AM --> FM1 --> FM2 --> CD1 --> CD2

The 2006 system supports dual CD changers.

Suddenly the VAIS screen showed up on the iPod and BAM! music started playing! Wonderful you may say. Not so fast. None of the information showed up on the screen. I think the "older" AIC-100i is only partially compatible with the 2006 radio.

I'm going to call Eugene tomorrow and see what can be done with the unit, or if I need to upgrade to the newer SLI.

Ah man! This is killing me. It's such a tease....

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Here are a couple of screen shots from the MFD using tghe AIC-100i.

Attached Files:

4. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Those graphics surely look a lot better than '04-'05. Wish Toyota came out with a software update for the rest of us.

5. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

UPDATE: I spent about a half hour on the phone with Eugene troubleshooting the AIC-100i installation.

Apparently Toyota HAS changed the radio for the 2006 model year. When the AIC-100i is set to emulate a MD changer, the car does not communicate with the AIC, and the AIC does not communicate with the iPod. When it is switched to CD changer emulation, the unit functions fine, track changing and playlist changing, but no text info is displayed.

It has full functionality and it plays just fine, it's just that you'll be changing your songs blindly, unless you've memorized your playlists.

VAIS Tech is going to research the new 2006 radio system and update the firmware so that full functionality is restored. For now I'll just hang tight and play blind. It's like having a really big iPod Shuffle. :p

6. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Much obliged for the info, Doc -- thanks for keeping everyone up to date. And sorry that you're having to wait to get full functionality!

This may be small comfort, but I find that, after the first week, I rarely viewed the AIC-100i input on the MFD screen -- I just controlled it from the steering wheel. Only when I was wondering "what the hell is this song?" would I switch it on.

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Make sure you're not in simple mode, which from what I understand is a separate setting from the MD/CD emulation mode.

8. olcorral

olcorral New Member

Eugene emailed me saying the new model number LSI works with the 2006 model Prius.
    The AIC-100i is for the models prior to the 06 Prius. Isn't it?

9. BobR

BobR Member

This is very interesting and changes everything.
    So the iPod2Car and the ice>Link should work in a 2006 Prius with changer.

Thanks for the info and keep us up to date.

Bob

10. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Well, I've been playing with the AIC-100i, and other than the lack of info displayed on the MFD, it works just fine. All the functions are there, and it even paused the iPod when I made a call with the Bluetooth. Sound is acceptable, although I may put in a ground loop isolator to take care of the low level hum. Otherwise I'm very pleased with it.

If Eugene at VAISTech manages to update the firmware for the unit to dsiplay track info and buttons, then it'll be perfect.

11. Howard

Howard New Member

Glad to hear you were successful with your installation. Is the low level hum disturbing when playing music at a low level?

Thanks.

12. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

No, the noise is barely perceptible, even at really low volume levels. Road/wind noise is usually louder than the background hum.

13. augustson

augustson New Member

Eugene told me yesterday that the new model (LSI) and the AIC 100i (with latest firmware) have the EXACT SAME compatibility with the 2006 Prius-- which would mean that the newest model must not display text either.

Does anyone have a 2006 with the LSI who could confirm this?

14. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

OK, I now have heard hte noise that people were talking about. It is indeed the hard drive that you hear. You can hear it pretty clearly between tracks if you skip songs. I'll get a ground loop isolator soon and plug it in.

15. satchmosdad

satchmosdad New Member

Has anyone used the VAIS adapter on a 2004 Prius with factory radio?

16. BobR

BobR Member

The radios in the 04 and 05 Prius are the same. The Vais Tech works perfectly in it.

17. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

BobR
    Do you see the ipod interface menus on your MFD? Do you have screen shots. I have a 05 and plan on getting the vais unit for ipod and sat. Any issues with hum (ground loops).

18. BobR

BobR Member

The Vais emulates a CD or MD Changer.
    http://homepage.mac.com/brusso/PriusRadio/PhotoAlbum23.html