1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vais SL2i

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mjsea71, Sep 3, 2007.

1. mjsea71

mjsea71 New Member

I just had an audio shop install the Vais SL2i in my 2007 Prius with navi system.
    I can get the iPod to play while connected to the SL2i but I don't see anything on the MFD.

I read that I must be using a playlist, so I made sure I was doing that.
    I also read that the iPod won't display in the MFD if the iPod is in simple mode.

I tried pressing the Prius SCAN key 8 times to turn off simple mode. I saw that the iPod shows a Vais icon, but I still don't see anything in the MFD other than CD2.

What else can I try?
    How do I know if the SL2i was installed correctly? Might the installer have programmed it wrong?

2. beboyle

beboyle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjsea71 @ Sep 3 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]506419[/snapback]</div>
    It appears it was not configured correctly when installed. I'd guess they installed it configured for basic CD emulation. My recently added SL2i shows playlists, current song info, etc. on the CD display. I installed it myself and followed the instructions to configure it in MP3 mode. You should take it back to your installer and have them do the same.

3. Eric Nothman

Eric Nothman Prius owner

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mjsea71 @ Sep 3 2007, 04:52 PM) [snapback]506419[/snapback]</div>
    Here is a link to the manual ==>
    http://www.vaistech.com/manuals/Manual_SL2i.pdf

Ours was installed by an installer who checked and made sure it was working before handing the car back to us. I agree with the first responder to your post that the installer should correct his installation.

The mode we use is "MD changer emulation mode" and there is a post from a week or so ago that details what you should expect from that mode. Please see page 6 of the manual for a step by step on how to set the VAIS unit into that mode. If the installer correctly connected the unit to the radio, then these are the steps required. Please note: you need access to the VAIS unit to set the programming switches. See diagram on page six to see what they look like. As you can see, the last step of the instructions is to check the functionality including the TEXT capabilities. Since your installer did not do that step, he/she may not have done the other steps either.

Best regards,

Eric