1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vais SLU Install 05 Non-JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by CAPT Seabee, Apr 23, 2006.

1. CAPT Seabee

CAPT Seabee New Member

Just a note on what turned out to be an easy install. You just need access to the open 12 pin connector in the back of the head unit. The glove box, vent right of the radio, and wiring bundle screw were the only things needed to gain enough access. The connector socket is the first open slot in from the right side. I have a My-Fi, hence use a cup holder mount. I've pulled the center console and ran all wires there. The Vais unit has enough wire harness length to run under the carpet to the console area. I had to remove the "hump" panel and right carpet molding to get enough access to run the harness. I mounted the adapter in the console front drawer, using velcro attachments and a hole in the rear of the drawer. All in all, much nicer than the lowest quality connect I've been using for almost a year waiting for the "low cost" option on the vaporware site. The unit is easily removed for program updates, etc. If you use a cup holder mount, the 3 foot mini stereo to RCA y-connecter is just enough. Electrical was off the console lighter run through a hole in the bottom of the console. A second 3 foot audio y-connector coming from the drawer and up the same hole the electrical went out is a handy location for the MP3 line. I just pull it out when needed. A cable cover over the antenna, power, and audio cable cleans things up nicely.

Have to say the Vais unit programs and controls as advertised. I like the "MD" view vs. "CD" as it's easy to pick up the difference on the screen. Audio quality is spot on.

Warm regards.... CAPT Seabee