1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VAIS SLU unit

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ml194152, Nov 30, 2005.

1. ml194152

ml194152 Member

I don't have any MP3 player yet, but I really want to be able to load all 800 of my favorite songs (currently on cassette tape) into my 2004 package 9 Prius sound system. I was preparing for this last weekend by purchasing digital versions of these songs online and downloading them in what my research told me was the best format, WMA, considering wide availablility (not just one website like iTunes!), best accuracy for a given sampling rate, and cheap prices on MP3 players (unlike the iPod!). After working on this for two whole days I got 400 of those songs purchased and downloaded. :p

Then I decided to take a break and research the best option for connecting an MP3 player to my Prius. Lo and behold, the answer was the iPod! :angry: Namely the VAIS SLI unit. Since resampling all those tracks from WMA to AAC (iPod format) will ruin the sound quality, it looks like I will have to go and buy AAC formatted tracks now. And buy an expensive iPod. :eek:

Anyway, I learned a lot about MP3 player connectivity and thought I would share some info that you cannot get from the VAIS website about their SLU unit for generic MP3 players. Edward from Sigma Automotive was kind enough to supply most of this info via emails. Thanks Edward!

The SLU allows ANY audio player with a standard stereo jack to feed sound signal into the Prius sound system. SLU is what we call an audio interface – it taps into the OE stereo system. The SLU will not turn the MP3 player off and on when the car is turned off and on. This is because a universal audio interface like the SLU would not know what brand / model / buttons that your particular MP3 player needs (unlike the specific interface of the SLI for iPod). The SLU will not charge the MP3 player when the car is on. To get around that limitation, you can can hard-wire from your car’s 12V electrical source to feed power into your MP3 player. As the ignition is off, your player is off too. Or at least it will stop charging it. The SLU will not allow you to use the radio head unit or steering controls to change tracks, etc. You control your MP3 player via your MP3 player ITSELF! The SLU interface cannot understand what brand/model that you are using. You need a good mounting system for your MP3 player so that it is convenient to control while you drive. Go to the Prius page at Sigma Automotive, and look for the ProClip mounting system.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'll refrain from comment on the aspersions you cast on iPods and AAC and your misinformed understanding of WMA quality, and simply say that the 2006 Prius has a built-in AUX mini-pin stereo input, so the VAIS SLU device is unnecessary.

Use the 12V electrical outlet in the center console to power your MP3 player plugged into the AUX input and have a blast listening to your tunes over the Prius sound system. The center console is conveniently located...

By the way, iPods play MP3 encoded files too, in addition to the higher quality AAC files.

3. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would have most earnestly discouraged using ANY proprietary
    format right up front, especially that one. Ick.
    You *should* be able to re-encode a generation or two at high bit
    rates without too much quality loss, unless WMA just doesn't lend
    itself to that or your downloads are already ailing in that regard.
    _H*

4. BobR

BobR Member

The windoze version of iTunes can convert non-DRM WiMP files to any format that is supported by iTunes/iPod. i.e. MP3, AAC, Apple Lossless, etc.

The Vais is the only device that I know for the Prius that will control and display onscreen text with the iPod. For me this is an elegant solution. I leave my iPod in the glove compartment, so I have no wires hanging around and can see what is playing on the screen.

Bob