1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valentine's Day Massacre for Chrysler

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Chuck., Feb 14, 2007.

1. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This will not be a happy Valentine's Day for Chrysler as they are going to announce as many as <strike>10,000</strike> (estimate revised to 13,000 ) to be laided off today. :( At least two plants will be shut down. I've felt the pain of unemployment and don't wish it on others. To do that, you need to anticipate where the market is going and adapt before you are left behind. A few snippets from this MSNBC story... ( http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17128723/from/RS.5 )
    I overlook things, but was their a mention of cutting back any cars? A few people are trying to point at Prius demand and say people don't care about fuel efficiency. Ford's outlook is grim because they are the most truck-heavy automaker - GM might be realizing this with the Volt concept (remains to be seen). It's painfully evident that Chrysler has a glut of gas guzzlers.

Demand for the Prius has dropped, but has overall hybrid demand fallen? I'm not sure, but it definitely seems to have diversifed with more hybrid choices. There are a lot of people that are simply trading to conventional fuel efficient vehicles. While a lot of people are not yet willing to try hybrids, it seems like more are shedding gas guzzlers.

I do not like hearing about tens of thousands of people in the American auto industry losing their jobs. I am resentful at the management and union bosses that have created this situation. Good business sense would tell Detroit to make their sedans like the Impala and Taursus last 200,000 miles and get 40mpg. Their response? Emotional, status, and Nethandral appeals to get Suburbans, Rams, Excursions. Keep this up and there won't be any domestic automakers left. Then the GM apologists will blame consumers for not supporting an inferior product.

2. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Delta Flyer @ Feb 14 2007, 09:22 AM) [snapback]390133[/snapback]</div>

I too do not like the pain inflicted on those by job loss. unfortunately it is inevitable. how many times does the average American change jobs in their lifetime - i think about 7 times.

I however like the news on several fronts - being didactic here:
    1. more union jobs down the drain - i look forward to the total destruction of the american labor union. so much of this is self inflicted by the unrealistic wages and costs associated with unions - they have reaped what they have sowed.
    2. pressure is being applied on MB to sell chyrsler - a potential for new ownership, new ideas, a kind of rebirth. MB has invested a lot of money and technology and I am sure it will be snapped up at the right price.

3. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not optimistic about Chrysler's fortunes being better if Daimler lets them go. First of all, Chrysler is much weaker than in 1998. Secondly, if another automaker took them, there would be a lot more duplication in models, meaning even more cuts at Chrysler.

Yes, the unions got greedy, but management is also responsible (ditto to GM and Ford). Management focuses on large trucks and SUVs. Demand goes down, they don't respond to the market - they get arrogant and try to get the market to respond to them.

4. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "Someone should turn one of those factories into a factory that retrofits used cars into electric vehicles. The cars would be affordable b/c you can start with used cars and legal b/c there were street legal cars. How cool would that be. Specialize in minivans for around town family stuff and vehicle would be big enough to hold a fat lead acid battery. Who's got the start up capital?

I already found a supplier for the EV parts

http://www.kta-ev.com/

5. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17128723/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("United Auto Workers President Ron Gettelfinger and Vice President General Holiefield said in a joint statement.")</div>
    I won't absolve Detroit management for the recent layoffs and loss of market share, but I see serious denial in this statement. Anyone really believe pensions, health care, salaries ballooned without any assistance whatsoever from the UAW?

This is dark humor (not funny at all), but this was a "team effort".

6. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    "This is dark humor (not funny at all), but this was a "team effort"."

Part of the team is American people/government, i.e. health care. A huge portion of the uncompetitive overhead the the big three have is retiree health care. In Japan health care is gov. provided. This will affect much more than the big three.

Maybe someday when I have my own teraflop desktop computer someone will figure out healthcare, teraflops shoud be cheap in about ten years.

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(etyler88 @ Feb 14 2007, 12:22 PM) [snapback]390226[/snapback]</div>
    So that's their secret.

8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Feb 14 2007, 11:07 AM) [snapback]390148[/snapback]</div>
    Some "right to work" States don't require union membership, but most state's unions DO require union membership. Thus, your average shlomo machinist / laborer / electrician HAS to join, no fault of his/her own. I'm sure glad your so simpathetic to THEIR plight :unsure: . Perhaps, looking at your statement in a light most favorable, you really meant, union organizations are going into the toilet? Even so, that means you feel no sympathy for 1%-5% while the lion's share of hard working folks are thrown under the train.

As for "health care" being the 'cause' ... you'e getting close. Health care costs are brought about in large part because of the insurance industry. Negligent doctors are seldom kicked out of the system, because it is more profitable to cause ALL Md. premiums to go up ... and keep the more negligent prone Md's on the payroll ... making more $$ for the system. NO one has the nuts/$$$ to fight the insurance industry. They will loby congress big time ... and advertise the truth right out of existence, if any one tries.

9. etyler88

etyler88 etyler88

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This massacre is also an opportunity. The laidoff workers will still get close to their working salary or a large lump sum payoff, many over $100K. so in the short term there will be alot people with money and time to spend it. The next UAW contract could effect the this but it should still be significant money. Let's see what happens. If I was seeking venture capital I would sniff around either closed plant areas.

10. Chuck.

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Who Might Buy Chrysler
    (see http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/14/news/compa...dex.htm?cnn=yes )

Toyota and Honda have presence in the North American market - they don't need Chrysler. Nissan and Renault have been mentioned. Guess who is in the front of the line to buy Chrysler according to the article?

GM

Why does GM want to add a bunch of redundant pickups and SUV's to it's line? I thought they were trying to reduce their debt? It's very spectulative at this point, however....

If Chrysler is sold, the layoffs may not be over.