1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valet/Mechanical Key Copy Options

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HeavyFooted3SGTE, Nov 13, 2017.

1. HeavyFooted3SGTE

HeavyFooted3SGTE Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I want to copy the valet/emergency/mechanical key on my 2011 Prius. I called a local locksmith and dealer, who both said my only option is to make an exact duplicate of the same size key and head that is on my fob. What I'm looking for is to make a copy of a key with a standard size head, so I can more easily and securely physically unlock and lock the car.

Do I have any options or are locksmith and dealer correct?

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If all you want is the mechanical key, I don't see why you couldn't start with any key blank that had the same length and shape of shank.

I have no advice for where to find such a blank, though.

-Chap

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Gen2 (2004-2009) Prius key can be duplicated onto an ordinary blank that Toyota has used for years. I've got one that says "Access+ 35" that I think came from Home Depot. Gen3+ use what is called a "laser" key that probably has an ordinary blank as well. Laser keys are expensive because of the newer milling machine equipment used to cut them.

4. Johnny Cakes

Johnny Cakes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Any source?

5. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A locksmith might be able to cut a Prius key pattern on a Lexus blank. But it will take one who can actually think - I've run into several who just quoted rules about only making exact copies. I figure if you can get to the shape by removing material, then it's possible. Some locksmiths can't think beyond cutting the edge/groove.

HeavyFooted3SGTE likes this.