1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valet parking

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by unknownone, Jun 30, 2007.

1. unknownone

unknownone Junior Member

Hi all,

I been driving my new Silver 2007 Prius for about 3 weeks now. I love it it. The problem, I have is valet parking. I have been avoiding valet parking (walking 3 extra blocks to park in the street) because of not wanting to giving out my smart key to anyone. I love the Smart key feature but letting the parking attendant have my fob, is hard. Is this just me or other Prius owners feel the same way?

How are you all doing the valet parking thing? Anyone having problems handing over the fob to the parking attendant?

2. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I used to have that problem and avoided valet at all costs. Now I've discovered that the majority of NYC lots are pretty used to SKS systems. It's been 50/50 mix of valets that put my fob in the dash and ones that put it in my cupholder.

The first time I ever had to use valet parking, the valet went into a panic when he brought my car back. I was checking my voicemail on my cell phone, but as he got near me the audio switched over to the car. He hoped out saying the he didn't touch anything but a message just started playing. So my only advice would be to avoid making any phone calls while waiting for your car.

I'm comfortable with valet's now, but valet parking is still my last choice.

3. Doc Willie

Doc Willie Shuttlecraft Commander

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Supposedly there is a "Valet card" that you can get free from the dealer to show valets how to start and stop the car. Maybe it is online somewhere. There is a link here but I can't call up the card.

Maybe somebody else has figured it out.

4. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Doc Willie @ Jul 1 2007, 10:47 AM) [snapback]471064[/snapback]</div>

At the front of the arm-rest compartment the 2006 has a small pad with valet parking cards.

5. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I wonder if the Valet Trade Organization could publish a Valet Trade Magazine with tips like working with Smart Key Systems, and listening to what the car owner tells you. Back in 1977, my brother had a Ford Torino that would peal out on its own if you gave it too much gas. I found out later it was a broken motor mount and fixed it for him. Anyway, he explained the problem to a valet, and asked them to be careful. The guy gave him a glaring look as if to say, Don't tell me how to drive, I know how. Then we watched as he burnt rubber all the way around the lot. When we came out, he let us go get the car ourselves.

6. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Here's a Spanish version.

<div align="center">[attachmentid=9351] </div>

7. zaxinc

zaxinc New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In LA valet parking is a way of life, but I try to avoid it as much as possible because we don't mind the extra exercise walking. However, in the times of no choice, I make sure the valet guy knows how to start and turn off the car before I leave. It just makes sense to make sure they now. You never know who the valet guy is, usually some high school kid.

8. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    7 month old Prius. I avoid valet because I fear they might screw it up. I do have the valet cards.

9. peldering

peldering New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Trevor @ Jun 30 2007, 05:10 AM) [snapback]470548[/snapback]</div>
    Hi:
    Card no longer comes with 2007 delivery - per dealer. Fortunately I rented one and it had cards in the glove compartment, so I copied it!!! :lol: Good luck

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    well, as you peruse this you'll find a fairly decent printable
    image of the valet cards if you didn't get any and want to make
    some of your own.
    I would turn OFF SKS, possibly even hacking the wiring behind the
    switch a little so they can't easily turn it back on if they know
    about it, and ask them to use the fob like a key to avoid confusion.
    There's a certain risk that they'd leave the car open.
    _H*

11. Ehash

Ehash New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OpaPaul @ Jul 2 2007, 12:23 AM) [snapback]471316[/snapback]</div>

I took delivery of my 2007 several weeks ago and I got a pad of valet cards. Based on another thread (it's around here somewhere), it seems that some dealers have them, some don't.

12. drw

drw Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ehash @ Jul 2 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]471459[/snapback]</div>
    Just as a FYI, we picked up our new Prius two weeks ago, and without ever asking the dealer about them, we got valet cards- they were in the center console..........

13. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How come the valet cards don't show handcuffs on the driver? I though most parking valets were graduates of that program. :D

Tom

14. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I second the suggestion to turn off SKS. It's easy to do, and you'll worry less.

15. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qbee42 @ Jul 2 2007, 09:00 AM) [snapback]471529[/snapback]</div>

The steering wheel is too large to drive with handcuffs on :p :D

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(The Annoying One @ Jul 2 2007, 12:28 PM) [snapback]471545[/snapback]</div>
    We need speed knobs. One of those would look great on your Prius steering wheel.

Tom

17. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    When I go to a car wash, I insert the SKS fob into the dash slot. I've only valet parked it once at a restuarant, and did the same thing, no problems. In LA Prius are pretty common, and no way am I the first to have somebody park it for me. As a rule, though, I usually avoid valet parking for other reasons in all my cars, but the Prius is no big deal either way.

18. Katrina

Katrina New Member

I Valet park upwards of 3 or 4 times a night on the weekends for work.... and my routine is usually thus:

Before I even get there, I put the fob into the slot in the dash slot for it. They get far too confused when you hand them the fob. They fumble looking where to put it in, and don't know if the car is on.
    I also take one of the Valet cards (came in the drawer of my '06), and slide it into the dash right next to the gear shift. The seam where the dashboard cubby below the radio closes holds it perfectly, just kind of nudge it in there. Make sure the side with the Park/Power button instructions is facing up, since thats what they have the most problems with.

When you pull up to the Valet line, as you get out, ASK the Valet "Have you parked one of these before?" some say yes, some say no, they all seem pretty honest about it. If the answer is no, I tell them that "Park" is a button on the dash, and the instructions are inside if its confusing.

On the whole, the biggest problem I've seen is with putting the car into park. I actually had a valet try and leave it in neutral and get out of the car at the top of a grassy hill. o_O I nearly had a heart attack. But he finally figured it out.

After a while, they get used to it. I have Valets that now recognize me from different events. :lol:

19. drew46n2

drew46n2 New Member

no valet, but i have had trouble at the car wash where you wait inside and they detail & run your car through themselves. The first time the guy at least left in in PARK but left it on, but the second time really got to me. the kid left it running, got out, dried it off, then handed it over to me. i got in only to realize it had been in Nuetral the whole time! he had the P brake on, but the battery doesnt re-charge in neutral. the battery was almost dead. probably no big deal but it was only my second week with the car so i think you guys understand. yall are the only ones who do lol...

20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I am not worried about the fob per se. I would be worried about the valet not understanding how to shut the car off. Horror stories abound. Many people draw a blank when confronted with something entirely contrary to their expectations, and some people do not read well enough to comprehend the valet card. Many college students cannot even write a coherent sentence. Finally, lots of teenagers are cocky about their knowledge of cars, and will deny (even to themselves) that there might be a car they cannot figure out just by looking at it.

Most valets in cities with significant populations of Priuses probably know how to operate the car. But unless you know the individual, you do not know. I just say, "This car is different. I have to park it myself." But you might try a little white lie: "This car responds to my fingerprints. It will not move if I am not in it." If they say "Bullsh*t, I park these every day," then you're probably okay trusting them. You can say, "Just checking." Me, I go somewhere else if I cannot park my car myself. I trust my Toyota dealership, and nobody else. The car's habit of shutting the engine off will fool an unsuspecting person into thinking the car is off. The consequences are not worth the risk.