1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valuation of hybrid battery in a totaled vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bklyn248, Sep 18, 2017.

1. bklyn248

bklyn248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have a 2005 Prius Two that I bought brand new and has a mere 120,000 miles on it. I replaced the hybrid battery ($3,000 at a Toyota dealership) in April of this year. Last month I was hit by a deer, damaging the driver's side fender, headlight and hood. There is concern that the wiring harness may have to be replaced, which Progressive Insurance said, if it had to be replaced rather than repaired would increase the repair cost from $5K to $9K and so Progressive considers the car totaled and have offered me a $5,800 settlement. They offered me this before I told them the hybrid battery was new. Progressive insists that their independent evaluators (Mitchell's?) claim that this adds no value to the car, because it is regular maintenance. I find this hard to believe since they said new tires or a new starter battery WOULD add value. Things that last not nearly as long and cost much less add value, but something that lasted 12 years does not????

I am sticking to my guns and the adjuster is going up the chain of command for further guidance, but since I don't have rental coverage, they seem to be in no hurry to get back to me. Anyone else encounter this? Is this a Progressive thing or do all insurance companies do this? Is there an insurance company that is preferable for Prius owners? I am hoping to buy a used Gen3 as a replacement vehicle as it seems overly optimistic to have a 12 year old car with a salvage title. Thus far the only repairs the car has needed was a water pump and the hybrid battery. I know these cars can go 300K miles, but I figure I am starting to get to the time in the car's life that it is likely to start having problems and being a one-car household repairs are too inconvenient.

I am very sad. This car and I have been together a long time, been to 3 countries and enjoyed our camping trips....

2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where are you located? If in the US, what state?
    @ericbecky may be able to help you estimate the value.

3. bklyn248

bklyn248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Boise, ID

4. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would say that from an insurance perspective they may not be thinking about any value for the hybrid battery.
    If it were me, I would consider removing it before turning it back to the wrecking yard. Or at least swapping in a complete junk battery pack.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  5. bklyn248

bklyn248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was thinking the same. How difficult is it for someone who is generally handy, but does not work on cars? Or is there anyone in this forum in Boise who does this kind of work that you are aware of?

6. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps you 2 can make a swap. A PM may be in order.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any mechanic can remove it, or you can do it. there are you tube video's.

check with salvage yards for junk ones, if the insurance company insists.

8. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I see a $150 pack on boise craigslist. (looks like some assembly required.)
    I would buy that one, put it in the car.

You can then list yours on CL, or put yours in another Prius that you purchase.

I'll be curious to hear if the insurance company adds any value for your pack.
    The cynical side of me says they would not put any additional value on a new pack.

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  9. bklyn248

bklyn248 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And would a company like yours buy such battery? If so, what would you pay for it.

I am currently considering a 2013 Trim Four, would these batteries work in this model and if so, how do I store them properly?

Thanks for your guidance.

Kris

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    No, the Gen 2 & 3 have different cases and ECU's; however, the modules could be transferred within. Storage? Short answer: no, not without a lot of work and costs.

I'd suggest pull and sell for $1800-2,000. Yes, that's on the high end and near new pricing but folks wouldn't have to deal with the $1350 core charge, taxes and/or dealer issues like not wanting to sell to individuals or demanding they install, etc. You can always ask less if it doesn't get snatched up.

pollypocket53132 likes this.
  11. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If they insist the new battery doesn't add value, then ask them how much less they would give you if you turn the car over to them without a battery. (My guess is they could put a figure to that.)

Raytheeagle and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just as a point of reference, ShaneBurns posted here that he was looking for a new battery in his gen3. He purchased one from a salvage yard for $500. It had very low miles, but it was the original one from the '10 Prius. The OP's battery is much newer, though.

I think the value of the OP's battery will be similar to what someone would pay for a battery pulled from a totaled Prius sitting in a junkyard. And that's much lower than the price of battery sold over the counter from a retailer. That being said, I hope the OP gets as much money as possible for his battery.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Right now the insurance guy is simply valuing the car as if it were running.
    I can see where the insurance company may not value a car with a newer pack differently than one with a normal-age pack.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yeah, the same would probably be true if you put a new engine or tranny in a gasser.