1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valve cover gasket + timing chain tensioner leaking... serious?

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Mady, Aug 31, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Mady

Mady New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I'm a new car owner! I just got my 125k mile 2014 Toyota Prius V, back from a local mechanic.

There were a few things of concern that they mentioned
    -Valve cover gasket leak
    -Timing chain tensioner leak
    -low voltage on truestart battery

As for the costs from the dealer, they said the top two could be done for $670 and the battery replaced for $360

The car reads that currently it is doing ~36 miles a galon

As someone mechanically unsavvy, I'd love a read on how much of this seems serious and how much I could go on for a while longer without addressing. I could address all of it, I just am not sure yet how much concern I should put on this. The car itself drives very well and doesn't have any visible leaking underneath.

I'll likely eventually move and sell the car in the process, but that will likely not be for at least a few years.

ps. likely unimportant, but incase it helps the full picture, I did also get the front brakes replaced and front tired balanced because the car did make a slight helicopter noise when at speeds above 35mph

bisco likes this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Take the car to an Auto supply and get the 12v battery for $200. The oil leaks are not a big deal unless there is a lot of oil where you park. Test with a big piece of cardboard under the engine overnight.

I would check the oil every two weeks on this car and don't let it get a quart low. Change the oil every 5,000 miles regardless of what the manual says. This may prevent repairs that cost many thousands. A 2014 Prius can get expensive as it gets older. Trading in two years would be a good idea.

Mady likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check the degree of leakage from the timing chain cover and tensioner yourself. Taking off the front/passenger side wheel and removing a few of the wheel well liner panel clips will afford you the best view. If it’s very minor I’d let it be, but a deluge yeah get it done. The quoted price is pretty good; numbers mentioned here range from $1700 on up for that.

Addendum: someone kindly pointed out to me, the timing chain cover is not involved in the leakage. That would more involved and pricey, than just the tensioner leakage. Price quoted is “fair” I think, for valve cover and tensioner.

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 2, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
    Mady likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome!
    ignore those issues, and put your money into an egr cleaning before you blow the head gasket, if it isn't too late.
    probably a $1,000. or so, but will likely save you many thousands in repairs.

all the best!(y)

Mady and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    First link in my signature. (y)

6. Mady

Mady New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    Thank you everyone! Great info on where to go from here.

Mendel Leisk likes this.