1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valve mounted tire pressure sensors, anyone?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by joyjit, Mar 5, 2007.

1. joyjit

joyjit New Member

2. DFWPrius

DFWPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had a set installed on my Prius, the clear plastic cap on the end cracked, tire went flat.

Plus they are limited to the pressure range, if you buy the 40 psi range caps, they will show
    red if you lower pressure back down to 32 psi.

Instead I have a set of high grade steel valve caps with a rubber seal inside, they will
    hold pressure even if the valve leaks. They were made for aircraft tires and wheels.
    And I check tire pressure every 2 weeks.

3. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Here's a link to a Prius owner who had a TPMS problem using metal valve caps. I, too, had replaced the original plastic caps with chrome caps in part due to the difficulty of threading the plastic caps back onto the valve stem but retired the chorome ones after reading this post's thread.

I would add, however, that frequently dealers' opinions or instructions are not accurate. Here's the thread:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=2...p;hl=valve+caps

joyjit joined in 2005 but doesn't indicate the year model of her/his Prius. If it's a 2005, it would not have the Toyota built-in TPMS.