1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Valvoline oil (0X20) synthetic

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by alfon, Mar 5, 2010.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was at Walmart in Longview Washington on Sunday and they were out of Mobil One 0X20 oil.

I than noticed Valvoline Synthetic 0 X 20 oil for 5.97 per quart and bought 4.

I am going to use next oil change and see if it performs as good as Mobil One 0x20 oil that I have been using.

Alfon

2. New_Yorker

New_Yorker New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The synthetic oil manufacturer AMSOIL who first produced 100% synthetic Motor Oil from the Mineral Oil base, tried to prevent such petroleum based oils from being classified as true 100% synthetics. The courts ruled against them, but many of us agrred with Amsoil. Amsoil and Mobil - 1 are each made using a mineral oil base, and consequently cost more, and evidently perform better in wear tests. Many of us will not consider the petroleum based oils that continue to be sold as 100% synthetic, products like Valvoline "synthetic" oil.

3. schafer49

schafer49 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FWIW, my local WalMart is charging $6.17/qt. for Valvoline 0W-20 and $6.37/qt. for Mobil-1 0W-20. So the cost difference is insignificant.