1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vandals strike 6 hybrid cars

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by priusenvy, Apr 14, 2008.

1. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pressdemo.com News

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=verdana,Arial, Helvetica] Article published - Apr 13, 2008
    PETALUMA
    Vandals strike 6 hybrid cars

By MARY CALLAHAN
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

A vandalism report involving a Toyota Prius parked overnight on the west side of Petaluma highlights a disturbing trend, police said Saturday.

Someone is stalking the popular hybrids.

Six such cars have been vandalized in Petaluma in the past two weeks, all but one of them parked on the city's west side.

Five times a brick, rock or hammer has been thrown through a window. Once, a fender was dented, police said.

"We have no idea at this point" who is responsible or why, police Sgt. Mark Hunter said. "And it's possible that there are vandalisms that have occurred that have not yet been reported."

The first case was reported March 30 after a rock was thrown through the window of a Prius on Oak Street not far from Oak Hill Park.

Subsequent reports involved damage to cars on April 3 on St. Francis Drive; April 4 on El Rose Drive; April 5 on Fourth Street; and Saturday on Webster Street and on West Street.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

3. xsmatt81

xsmatt81 non-AARP Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    so dumb.

my tire's where slashed yesterday morning. I now have to find a couple of tires this week, still looking around. I might just replace all 4 and get some better tires. It wasnt prius hate though, just random vandlism in our block, several other car's which are non hybrid where hit aswell. This happned here back in 2000 to my car way back when i lived with my folks, hundreds of car's where hit in town, turns out it was a damn tire shop doing the work! to drum up buisness..

anyway time for work! ekk

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Only a matter of time. Some semi-illiterate knuckle dragger can't afford the gas for their lifted, regeared pickup, so they take it out on an easy mark, a hybrid car

Unfortunately, a lot of the redneck knuckle dragger crowd equate hybrid owners = gay, weak, passive, etc etc. The few times around here I've had somebody purposely cut me off, they've received a BIG surprise when I got out of the vehicle. I'm built like an ape, only not hairy. I've also recently started shaving my head, the "biker look" seems to work too

Note that these ILLITERATE COWARDS would never have the cubes to challenge a rich, bloated oil company, the political decisions that created this mess, the OPEC cartel, or to just look at themselves in the mirror and take some responsibility for their lives

If I caught somebody vandalizing my Prius, I'd rip their arms right off

5. Acelin

Acelin Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I counsel caution and restraint in this situation: only rip one of their arms off, then
    hand it to them. This will keep their minds occupied and their hands full.

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    :rofl:

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    or whack them over the head with it...

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Good point. I suppose I could also shove the freshly yanked-out-of-the-socket arm up their butt

9. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    This brings up my idea for a new subforum within PriusChat:

Mean Guys Built Like Apes Who Drive A Prius

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reminds me of the recent vandalism here.

~ 100 cars at a theatre parking lot were keyed.

11. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Re: Vandals strike 6 Prius cars in Petaluma in past 2 weeks

For those not in the know, the WEST side of Petaluma is considered the good side. It is where all the quaint, over-priced, dumps,er I mean old houses, are. The east side is where the newer developments (and therefore, lower class people) are. Having spent two of the longest years of my life in Petaluma's west side, I was constantly reminded of this truth. The town also seemed to have more than its fair share of yutes bent on a little dee-struction.

What'd you all expect? I read here constantly how the eco-nihilists would have society collapse around the over-weight American's stomachs.

If gas does get to $10 a gallon, how safe do you think your Prius will be then?

Be careful what you wish for.

12. Crtnt

Crtnt New Member

I'd almost be willing to quit waiting on a plug-in and pull the trigger on a current Prius in order to participate in that forum!!!

13. SparrowHawk60

SparrowHawk60 Happy to be green!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Just rip the right arm off and beat him with that!

14. klodhopper

klodhopper New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just after buying our used Prius, we started parking it and all our other vehicles in our back yard. We were not only worried about the "hybrid rage", but also for the possibility that someone would steal gas. Even in a small mountain town, we still have the gangland mentality rear it's head every once in a while. People in general are hurting....the worse our economy gets, the more desperate they'll become.

If gas gets to $10/gallon, I guarantee you'll be looking out for more than JUST your Prius! It'll be more like a "Mad Max" movie....

15. KandyRedCoi

KandyRedCoi S is for Super!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    someone get close to any of my cars with bad intetions will get
    their chest blown right off with my mossberg 500, kimber .45 or G29

noone better hurt my babies :cool:

16. Rockville1

Rockville1 Silver Pine Mica

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There was also a rash of auto vandalism when the automobile first began to replace the horse and carriage. But that soon subsided. :thumb:

17. Spectra

Spectra Amphi-Prius

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jayman:
    The few times around here I've had somebody purposely cut me off...

===========================

How about here in NJ -- when my Prius was cut off by lane-weaving ... other Prius. :eek:

18. AuntBee

AuntBee New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Last month when my car's bumper got demolished in the Kroger parking lot, I wondered if it might have been vandalism... Guess I'll never know. There still aren't enough Prii in this area to really tell if it's a trend. Hopefully not. Oddly enough, I only had my car back for two weeks when I got a flattened tire (nail puncture). :confused:

19. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Start a count on that small window under the spoiler.......BIG REDNECK DEATH TOLL....and have tally marks with a window marker

20. kmbell

kmbell New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I live in the Bay Area and used to live in Petaluma. This story is a bit depressing, especially since I visit people who live on the west side. Makes me leery to park in the driveway. Anyway, I just saw an update on the evening news tonight. It seems one poor woman sent her vandalized Prius in for repair and was issued a loaner Prius in the interim. Vandals came back and trashed that car too by throwing rocks at the hood and sides of the vehicle. Sad...