1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vanity license plate in California?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by greenbelt, Sep 15, 2009.

1. greenbelt

greenbelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How long does it take to get a vanity license plate in California? I placed my order online approximately one month ago for my 2010 Prius. I called the DMV helpline and a rude agent suggested 12 weeks or longer.

2. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm in Florida - was told 6 weeks and 6 weeks it was. Also asked when ordering if plates in this state were made in prisons. She said yes.
    Knowing a bit about California - if that's the case there too, a delay shouldn't be for lack of a labor force...

3. greenbelt

greenbelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If we're talking about prison labor force in California, I should be receiving my plate by tomorrow. No shortage of inmates here! The delay is probably cause by the ineffieicent and bloated DMV bureaucracy.

4. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

Can't be the bureaucracy - in California??? ;)

Must be the Prisoners Union workrules.

5. DarioBarrera

DarioBarrera New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I ordered my plates about 2 months ago. I just got the paperwork to pick my plates up about a week ago, so it does that a long time. I live in California as well.

6. ALL_600D

ALL_600D New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm from San Diego, it took me 2 months. Not only did I have to wait 2 months, after I received the paper through the mail to go pick up my plate, I had to wait an additional 2 hours before I saw a DMV agent. I was going to make an appointment but the soonest I can go in was dated 2 weeks later. So i opted out of setting the appt because I just wanted to get'um on.

7. SFguy2009

SFguy2009 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm in CA as well. Is there a way to get the vanity plate via the dealership at the time of purchase (aug 19th)? I am still waiting for my original plate from DMV. Only then I can apply for the vanity plate, correct me if I am wrong? Thanks for any infos ...:)

8. greenbelt

greenbelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You don't have to wait for the original plate to order the vanity plate. You can place an online order right now. The original plate information is not needed. Once the vanity plate is ready for pickup at your local DMV office, you will exchange the custom plate with the original one. Also, I don't think it's possible to pickup the vanity plate via dealership at the time of purchase since the DMV require the exchange mentioned above. I suggest you order the plate now since it takes 2 months for delivery. FYI: I received my original plate 3 weeks after my car purchase.

1 person likes this.
  9. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It took my husband months to get his. We used to joke that they were all backed up in the prisons. ;-)

10. lamontcranston

lamontcranston Umbra Tenet

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think it took about 3 months for the last person I knew who got them. With furlough days at the DMV, who knows. On the other hand, it only took 3 weeks to get my regular plates.

11. Econ

Econ Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five

:)In Massachusetts, at this time it takes 4-6 weeks. My last one was in that time frame. I did order another on the Sept 2, i will let you know when it arrives.