1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle buy back program

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by DaveinOlyWA, Mar 14, 2006.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    here is a letter i received from my dealership today

Toyota of Olympia in Olympia, Washington has been selected as a site to conduct a special pricing and financing event. Your status as a Toyota of Olympia customer qualifies your for this private sale.

Toyota of Olympia is in desperate need to acquire several pre-owned 2004 Toyota Priuss (yes that is how its spelled :eek: ) in order to fulfill special used vehicle requests. Our records indicate you own one of these vehicles and our new car managers have been authorized to buy back your current vehicle.

We would like to exchange your 2004 Toyota Prius for any new 2006 Toyota car, truck, van or sport utility vehicle. With factory incentives and generous trade-in values, we feel confident that you can make this exchange with little or no out of pocket expense and with a monthly payment that fits your budget.

anyone else receive this???

wow...they are either desperate (actually they did say that) to ask or crazy (like i would consider giving up my car!!) to ask.

interesting nevertheless

2. gschoen

gschoen Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I received a notice like this for cars I've owned previously (not Toyotas). The fine print: they wanted to sell me a new car. My Toyota dealer wasn't any more ethical than any other, so I would't put it past them either.

No matter much they might like to increase their used car inventory, would they take a loss to do so?Would they trade your used Prius for swap of a new Prius, Highlander, or Avalon? As an even swap or no change in loan or lease terms? If they're desperate, it's just to sell more cars at a profit and make more money! You know what they say, if it sounds too good to be true...

3. jchu

jchu New Member

Tell me they will take my slightly dented (very slightly) '04 black package #4 with 45,000 miles and some paint dings on the hood and dog hair on the back seat; and give me a new '06 pkg #6 as a straight swap (i.e. no cash involved) and I MIGHT be interested... :p

4. the fish

the fish Member

A local dealer told me the used car departments are trying to get higher resale cars back in the door. They use the new car sale mailing lists like the service department.

Worth a phone call to see what the deal is.

5. Allannde

Allannde Just a Senior

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I think the bold phrase means that your old car would be the down payment.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    even if they offered me more than what i paid for it (blue book says its worth more) i wouldnt do it. my car is still like new condition. i have a Prius that has no weird computer issues, stability issues, or tank filling problems. why would i give it up?? i still have 3/4 of my tread on my OEM tires after 22,000 miles. that says my alignment was very good considering some here reported having to replace theirs with like mileage.

i also have a discontinued tidelands pearl... a model destined to become a classic...in another 15 years or so... i love my car...but would trade it AND pay cash to get a Prius with extended EV range (30 miles minimum... after all, i DO have standards)

7. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well I would take a 06 if Toyota will work with Norm to produce a Can-View for the 06.

8. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    YEP!! thats another reason why i wouldnt do it... knew there was more to it than that

9. the fish

the fish Member

I wish Tideland Pearl was still available.

10. roach52osu

roach52osu New Member

I got this exact same letter from Jeep last week, and one from Honda for my current and prior cars. It is probably just a ploy to get you in to get another car.

11. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Lots of us do. That was our first choice for color. It was a shock to hear they dropped it.

12. HybridMotion

HybridMotion New Member

Sure, the letter is an attempt to drum up some business. Yes, the dealer(s) can use some used Priuss for people who might not be able to swing a new one.

Regardless, this MAY be the last time to get onboard with a new Prius for VERY little money if your preious Prius is in good shape and it's an '04-'05. The reason is the tax credit ($3150). I did the swap for a couple of thousand (my '04 for a '06) and in the process, rezeroed my battery and other high tech items to zero mileage from 26K. If you can get a good trade-in, this is a no-brainer.

At least run your figures to see how it would work for you. This tax credit is NOT forever. It will probably start to fade either at the end of June or September when 60,000 units are sold.

13. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got a similar letter from BMW asking to buy my '98 540iA back for a great price. With some doubt, I went there one late afternoon. Based on kbb, my car was worth about $17K. I almost sold it for $15K, but the guy backed out for no explanation... back to the dealership. I met this used-car manager and handed him this letter I got from them.

"Where is your car?" he said.
    "Oh, right over there! The light green 540." I pointed at my glacier green 540 about 100 feet away.
    With just a glance, he said,
    "That is a bad color to sell. Is it a stick?"
    "No. An auto." I said.
    "Well, I can give you $7500 at most."
    "What?! You're kidding." I was shocked.
    "Nope." He assured me.
    I torn up the letter in front of him and left.

What pissed me off is that he didn't even ask about mileage and conditions (yeah, I bet he could tell from 100 ft away!). That is how BMW treat their customers and their own used cars (like dirts). I hope Toyota treat you better, but I highly doubt that they will give you a good price.

14. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I expect they wouldn't trade me a new '06 (Nav, no leather) plus all the stuff I have added to my '04 with a monthly payment that fits your budget as my monthly budget allows $0 for car payments :)
    It does sound a lot like the usual legal caveat applies: "READ THE FINE PRINT!" I can't imagine there are a lot of people going to the dealer saying "I ONLY want a used '04". However, maybe you better put that Tideland under wraps in hopes it will be a collector's item in 20 or 30 years. Could be worth big $$ then :)

15. Drifter

Drifter Member

I still get letters like that talking about my 1997 hyundai accent which was totaled before I bought my prius. While that little car served me well over the years I very much doubt the dealership specifically wanted that model year back or would have given me any real money for it.

16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the last part "with a monthly payment that fits your budget" Never fall for that. They'll always ask you what you're willing to pay monthly and they'll stretch the loan period for a ridiculously long time to match that payment.

17. chinook-hybrid

chinook-hybrid New Member

Dave, be careful. I have dealt with Toyota of Olympia and they don't seem any better than Fivestar Toyota of Aberdeen. I have used their service/parts desk twice and both times I was treated like I was beneath them to assist.

What is it with Toyota making a great car and then having lousy customer service through their dealerships? I guess when you are number one it doesn't really matter. If anyone knows of a fair and honest dealer in the South Sound area I would like to know.

I love the car, hate the service. If it could only be like the "good old days..." The Toyota dealerships I have dealt with could definitely learn a thing or two from Costco's business model. What happened to a company valuing your patronage? You pay $30K for a car and get treated like you just bought a clunker off the lot. Yeah, I am bitter. It was our first "new" Toyota and I expected more than the poor customer service I have received.

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I got a similar letter back in Fargo. The Prius is a popular car, and a lot of folks would buy one used who cannot afford one new. So the dealers would be delighted to sell you any new car and take your Prius as a trade-in. Of course they'd make a profit on the deal: they make money by selling you a new car, and they make money by giving you less for your old one than they can sell it for. Basically, it's an advertisement to try to sell you a new car. Nothing really wrong with that. Me, I'm not in the market for a new car until the next major model revision comes out. 2008 seems to be the most popular guess. Nothing in the letter actually says you'd come out ahead on the deal. It just says they'd like to take your very popular car in trade towards the purchase of a new one.

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ok an update to this... a possible reason as to why my letter was valid.

a person was looking at an auto trader at work yesterday. naturally as soon as i saw them looking for a car and knowing her as a single mother with a daily 60 mile RT commute, i naturally suggested a Prius.

she immediately replied that she was very interested in a Prius but simply could not afford one and immediately showed me the page that Toyota of Olympia had.

they had a 2002 Prius for 18,888 and a 2003 for 20,888!! (that is more than my 2004 was new!! my cost AFTER destination charges was 20,812)

then a few pages later, we saw bob bridge Toyota. they had two 2004's for 23,000 and 23,999. and a 2003 for 22,100.

unreal

20. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll trade them even for a new '06 Prius fully loaded. Think that's an option?