1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle Drives Slow, No Dashboard Warnings

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Severilous, Mar 25, 2018.

1. Severilous

Severilous New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hello.

Trying to get some help in understanding what the problem might be before I go in for maintenance. Concern is the problem is intermittent, so it makes it hard to just drive in and get a fix.

This is a Toyota Prius 2013 that I've purchased new, with 31k miles on it. No accidents or major repairs, I've been changing the oil and had tires replaced/aligned after the first appearance of this problem (not sure if relevant but these are the only maintenance I've done thus far).

The Problem:
    Perhaps since 2016 I've had a problem where I turn the car on, and when accelerating the engine will sound like its working *extremely* hard, but not give a comparable amount of acceleration to the vehicle. This becomes particularly noticeable driving on a heavy incline.

That said - I can still drive the car, get on the freeway and drive around fine - I just need to give it more acceleration to compensate, and the engine makes much more nose (nothing abnormal - just that its working really hard and not getting sufficient "umph" for the work)

Sometimes if I turn the car off, and quickly turn it back on again it will start driving normally like nothing was wrong. Seems to indicate its some kind of programmatic or electronic issue.

This problem only on average once every 2 months and if turning the car on and off won't address it, leaving it off overnight will. Doesn't particularly inconvenience me, and at first I just figured it was a fluke, then hoped it would get worse to the point that I could consistently reproduce it. No dashboard warnings light up while in this "slower than normal" state.

Any thoughts on what it could be?

#1 Severilous, Mar 25, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  2. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Welcome to Prius Chat (y).

Some questions:

• How many miles on your Prius?
    • Does this happen after a rain event, or at random occurrences?
    • Where in the great state of California are you located?
    Keep us posted (y).

3. Severilous

Severilous New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Mileage: 31,000

When does it happen: Definitely no association to rain. Generally, I want to say it happens more often in the middle of the day rather than when I first start my vehicle up, but it is so infrequent its hard to say I am confident. Here is the most common situation that it occurs under, but by no means is the only time it occurs:

1. Car in parked state under shade.
    2. Start car @6:30AM, drive to work (no issue)
    3. Arrive @7AM, park with no shade outside.
    4. Start car @4PM, drive to parents home (no issue, but there is a 10~ minute strip of going uphill),
    5. Arrive @4:30PM, park in no shade outside
    6. Start car @5:30PM, drive to friends home (issue occurs here, lot of downhill but slight initial uphill so easy to notice issue as car will lose ground if I don't press accelerator harder than normal [I've gone "backwards" before a foot or two before realizing])
    7. Arrive @6PM, park with no shade outside.
    8. Start car @8PM, problem may or may not persist.

That scenario plays out every Tuesday and I feel its happened during both winter and summer. My suspicion goes to the uphill climb, but it just doesn't happen often or consistently enough unfortunately.

I also vaguely recall the back-seat vent going somewhat louder than normal, but it may have just been a coincidence as its done that before as well. This may be extraneous information.

I may have to keep a log of what happens to get some better information. The infrequency is what makes this difficult.

Thank you for the welcome and the reply!

Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That’s some low mileage on your 2013:).

Some additional questions:
    • What is the total mileage for this normal Tuesday trip?
    • Does the engine ever get fully warmed up?
    • What are your tire pressures at?
    Keep us posted (y).

5. Severilous

Severilous New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Total Trip from my home + each destination until the last is 26 miles.
    The return trip back home which is not included above (without all the stops) is a total 18.5 miles.

Regarding engine - I don't know how to tell. If I assume this means, "after turning on, wait parked until the engine stops on its own then start driving" then generally no, only in the morning. I let it complete that cycle in the morning but not at any other stops during the day. Is this the information you're looking for?

Tire pressures - generally when I fill them I take them to 37/35. I am not ritualistic about filling them, but they drop around 34/32 when I realize "its time to fill up" again. Its probably about time to refill now so if there is a better value I am willing to try - but figure you just want to make sure the tire pressure isn't dropping really low + cold weather.

6. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would still get someone to scan the vehicle since the PCM will show codes but codes in Hybrid Control and ABS would not show with a generic scan tool. Driving the vehicle like what you are experiencing is not best. Plus like everyone else has stated more info is always better than no info. Specifics are always helpful.

7. Erik Owens

Erik Owens Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    By the way this actually sounds like an issue we have, and I say this only because it sounds suspicious and dont think it is only this issue I am about to bring up, but Toyota has had an issues with the Inverter Intelligent Power Module. There are no starts, loss of power, etc. Now there are many issues that can cause your symptoms so just like we discussed get some more detailed info and usually there are codes stored not only in the engine computer but more than one. So let us know when you can get it looked at. If it is the Inverter IPM it is covered under a warranty enhancement that you dont have to pay for. The worst is that you will have to leave your vehicle for a few days since the parts may no be in stock or on back order at times.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did it slip from power to eco by mistake?

what are your average mpg's?

are any of the wheels hot after a long drive?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Something that may be interesting to look at is the power limit placed on the HV battery. If you have an android phone, you can get an app called Hybrid Assistant and Hybrid Reporter. Also get a good OBD bluetooth adapter. One of the parameters it displays is the discharge and charge current limits being assigned to the HV battery, along with all three temp sensor values. The temperature sensors in the battery case have significant impact on these limits. I've seen the discharge limit be extremely low on some cold mornings. I'd imagine there's also limits for high temps. The app will record the entire time you're driving and the trip can be displayed using the Reporter app. You'll be able to see the DCL and CCL for the entire drive on a graph. Low DCL / CCL limits will make the car act like a slug. It MAY be something as simple as a temp sensor acting up. Or I may be so off base you can just totally ignore this post.

10. Severilous

Severilous New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Erik - What would I ask for specifically? If I go to the dealer I'd probably have to explicitly ask to get anything beyond the usual tasking, so it would help to know what to ask for otherwise they'll just assume I want "the usual tasking report".

Bisco -
    1. No, I know for sure because I've tried toggling the various modes to see if it would "shake out" of whatever state its in. I operate in "Eco Mode" 95% of the time. I want to say the problem persisted even if I ran in power mode, because that would have been a big clue if it had fixed the issue. I recall trying, and then inevitably going back to eco mode.
    2. Average MPG for a trip I had going over 7621 miles was CONS = 43.7MPG and AVG = 26MPH
    3. Wheel heat - Not sure. If I were to check, would touching with my hand be appropriate and should I be looking to see if some wheels are hotter than others? At the very least, never noticed abnormal heat but I don't check often enough to have a baseline for normal.
    TMR-JWAP - OK, I was on the fence about buying an OBDII reader, perhaps I'll grab it and see if anything obvious stands out. Though it will be some time before I can observe this problem first hand.

Thank you for all the questions & appreciate any insight.