1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle Signal Check Mode, Curious

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by bredekamp, Apr 13, 2009.

1. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have a 2006. I was looking at the MFD signal check. All the parameters change normally except PKB and REV. They don't change at all. Putting the car in reverse or putting the parking brake on makes no difference.

Everything in the car works normally. Are these signals just not implemented?

-----

Further research shows that if you do not have a reverse camera, there is no need for the MFD to know if you're in reverse so the pin is left unused. What is the Parking Brake signal used for then?

Attached Files:

2. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Did you try putting the car in reverse or applying the parking brake then leave the menu and go back in? Could be a refresh issue with those two parameters.

3. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Apparently it updates once per second. Look below, theres nothin going into the pin that tells the MFD the car's in reverse.(21,REV) That's why you have to ADD a 12v signal to tell it.

Good thinkin bout the update though....

Attached Files:

4. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This Prius has reverse camera and look, there's a pink wire going into the REV pin. Also note the extra wires carrying the video from the reverse camera.

Thanks to evnut.com

Attached Files:

5. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    PKB doesn't work in my car either. It always reports OFF.

It appears to be something to do with Daytime Running Lamps. In the wiring diagram section of the 2006 Service Manual, it says:

"Daytime Running Light Function (Canada)

"When power SW is at IG ON position and the vehicle is ready to drive (READY lamp on the display in combination meter is on), releasing parking brake makes signal go into TERMINAL PKB of body ECU. In this condition, when light control SW is at Off/Tail/AUTO position (Headlight is not lit), body ECU sends daytime operation request from TERMINAL DRL/DIM to daytime running light relay. As a result, daytime running light relay duty–operates headlights (Dimmer than regular lighting)"

Why does the MFD show it? The parking brake switch is connected to a pin of the Skid Control ECU, which communicates that state over the CAN bus. From there it's picked up by the Gateway ECU, which converts between the various bus standards used by the car. It's retransmitted over the Body Electronics Area Network (BEAN), where it's picked up by the Body ECU. That then either does pulse-width modulation of a relay, if you have halogen bulbs - basically switching the lamp on and off very quickly - or activates a shade.

Most features on the BEAN and otherwise connected to the Gateway ECU are available through the MFD Vehicle Signal Check screen.

1 person likes this.
  6. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One question for the North Americans, if PKB works in their car: does the car try to creep if the parking brake is set?

It does, for me. If there's a difference, I wonder if this is due to the normal adjustment of the parking brake, in the UK, to be able to hold the car against a moderately significant motive force (to assist with making hill starts)?

7. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I have a Canadian Prius. If you have the parking brake applied before you start the car, when you start the car the DRLs are off. They turn on when you release the parking brake. If you apply the parking brake when the car is on, the DRLs don't go off.

The car will try to creep if the parking brake is on. If you drive off with the parking brake on a warning tone sounds constantly. It's not very loud! Ask me how I found out. ;) No damage results if you catch it in time. Good way to clean the rear drums.

Any more experiments you want me to perform? ;) My car doesn't have the backup camera (one year too early).

Canadian Prius from 2004 to 2007 were non-touring with only three option packages. Base, everything but GPS and backup camera, and everything including GPS and backup camera. In 2008 they were all "touring models", again with the three option packages, though the second included the backup camera. In 2009 they went back to non-touring. Leather was never offered. Some dealers will add it, but of course it's pricey from them.

1 person likes this.
  8. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks, that clears up the PKB question.