1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle Stability Control

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Renocat, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Tomorrow I will be putting my deposit on a Seaside pearl package 5. The dealer only offers packages 3, 5 or 7. The difference between package 3 and 5 is $1700 and the only differences I can see are the 6 cd changer with MP3 and bluetooth and the VSC. I don't care about the 6 cd changer...I tend to listen to a full cd or the radio.

Is the VSC worth the $1700? I am currently driving a Subaru Forester and like the AWD and the way I can get through snow and ice without a problem. I am in upstate NY, and although it is 90 today, the snow will return all too quickly <_<

Any suggestions, experiences?

2. Brian K

Brian K New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Jul 14 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]286439[/snapback]</div>
    Before experiencing VSC, intellectually I knew it to be something we wanted. After having used it on snow, ice, mud, and gravel here in Maine there is no way I'd ever have a car w/o it. I can't tell you to spend $1700 on it though.

Assuming you have good snow tires, and good throttle control (the Prius has HUGE low end torque), the TC and VSC make the Prius super in crud.

I suggest this. Before hitting the roads with the TC and VSC untested, find a parking lot somewhere to see what they do.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is any safety feature worth a dollar value?

Otherwise, insist on a package #4 (I think that's VSC only without the JBL audio and bluetooth). If they're not willing to get it, find another dealer or buy out of state.

airbags will attempt to save you from injuries when it happen, VSC will attempt to prevent the collision in the first place.

In short, YES, take the VSC.

4. mssmith95

mssmith95 Michael

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I agree too!

It has been heralded as one of the best safety features ever invented. I just couldn't pass it up after I read about it, and after others here had told me their experiences with it.

5. wishes

wishes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Renocat @ Jul 14 2006, 06:32 PM) [snapback]286439[/snapback]</div>
    I am in the same boat as you. I put my deposit for a pkg 5 because I wanted the VSC but could have done without the fancy stereo (I thought it had a tape player though, which I DID want) and bluetooth. Unfortunately, pkg 4 doesn't really exist in the NY/NJ area. :/ I think we have to go down to VA/MD for that.

6. mrinella

mrinella New Member

The IIHS found that electronic stability control could prevent nearly one-third of all fatal crashes and reduce rollover risk by as much as 80%.

Find the article here:

http://www.iihs.org/news/rss/pr061306.html

I wouldn't purchase a car without it.

7. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Is VSC worth it???

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES
    YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES
    YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES!!!!!!!!!

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Like the above posters, after driving my Prius with VSC, I will never buy another car without it.

I am not familiar with the current packages. But my choice was the 2004 Pkg 7, which was the "safety" package. VSC and all the air bags but none of the electronics luxury stuff.

Tideland above suggests Pkg 4. If that one also has the side air bags, I'd say dump your current dealer and find a dealer that will sell you a #4. There are dealers all over the country. You don't have to buy a pkg you don't want just because your closest dealer refuses to carry the one you do want.

But yes, the VSC is an invaluable safety feature, and one you should not be without once the roads get slippery.

And, BTW, although the Prius is a great winter car, it is low to the ground and will NOT get through deep snow like a 4X4. VSC and TC address the issue of roads made slippery by ice. They won't help you in deep snow.

9. mbutterfield

mbutterfield New Member

Pkg 6 & 7 also offer the security system ($249 retail) and auto dim mirror/homelink (retail $269), so not all of the cost between #5 and #6 is the cd changer/bluetooth.

Yes, I would *really like* VSC, if I can get it. Personally, I don't really *need* the CD/security/mirror. In fact, I just (reluctantly) turned down a grey package #6, being spooked by the theft risk and replacement cost of the HID lamps. I am currently matched with a green package 3, but would also gladly take a 4 or 5.

10. Renocat

Renocat Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks everyone. I had orginally decided on pkg 5 but then was second guessing whether I ~needed~ the VSC. A quick online search is turning up the same opinions expressed here.

Last fall when I looked at the Prius, the dealer told me they would take my preferences but really I would have to take what they get. Now, the same dealer is saying I will get the exact color and trim level that I specify...sounds too good to be true.

As far as deep snow...if the roads aren't plowed, school is closed and I am not going anywhere :p (snow days in the winter and summers off are just two reasons I love working for a school!)

11. Jeannie

Jeannie Proud Prius Granny

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GadgetHead @ Jul 14 2006, 08:19 PM) [snapback]286480[/snapback]</div>
    I was willing to take anything from a 3 up to a 6, but really wanted 4 for the VSC. I got a package 5, don't really need the fancy CD changer, the security or homeling or dimming mirror, but I'll have to say I've gotten excited about the bluetooth. I'm eligible for an 'upgrade' with Cingular in a few weeks, and my son tried his bluetooth phone with my Prius, and I really like the 'hands free' operation. My current cell phone has a speaker, but you have to push buttons on the phone after answering the call to get it to work, so I can't ever do that in the car.

I've only had my car 3 months, so haven't gotten any use out of the VSC, but everything I've read has made me want it. I got t-boned in my old car and was lucky to walk away with a bump on my head and two scraped knuckles. I don't ever intend to get in another accident ever again, but if I do, I can't count on being that lucky twice! So I'm extra safety-conscous now.

12. actorguy1

actorguy1 New Member

We went with Package 4 mostly because of VSC. Not that we really need it in Arizona, but incase we eventually relocate back to the northeast it will come in handy. oh and by the way.....WE JUST GOT IT TODAY!!! WHOOPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

13. mbutterfield

mbutterfield New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeannie @ Jul 14 2006, 07:48 PM) [snapback]286499[/snapback]</div>

Funny you should mention that. I was forced into the car market because of a sideswipe/TBone. Actually, it was a 'bonehead' since I was struck by a hit-and-run drunk driver. My side curtain airbag deployed, and I walked away without a scratch. Had the airbag not been there, my head would likely have struck the door post (ouch) :blink: . I was called by a dealer today with a green *no package* prius, but after my experience, I gotta have airbags.

14. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    BTW I think one poster was suggesting going to VA to get a package #4...but RI was getting them as well (for those of you in the Northeast).

15. ymos

ymos New Member

I went for the VSC (package #4)

16. tmgrl3

tmgrl3 Member

I definitely wanted VSC!!

....and the Bluetooth...I took Pkg. #5 with my 06 Seaside Pearl.

terri

17. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    As noted in another post, I had a tire blow-out the other day, while driving 65 mph or thereabouts. The car maintained a straight line right in my lane as the vibration told me something was wrong, and I pulled over safely and stopped.

Yep. VSC is worth whatever you have to pay for it.