1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle Stability Control?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mywhitenoise, Aug 8, 2006.

1. mywhitenoise

mywhitenoise New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Can you install VSC later? I'm guessing 'no', but i'm not really sure. If it's not allowed to be installed later, would it be a better idea to just go with a package 2?
    Which of these can I install later?
    High Intesity Discharge Lamps
    Fog Lights
    9 speaker set up (not the 6 cd changer, just the extra speakers)
    I want to try and buy a basic 2007 model around my birthday (September), to get the tax cut...i'm not really sure how that works, can someone with enough patience please explain it to me.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No you can't

You can install HIDs, foglights... I don't know about the extra speakers since that'll mean you'll have to drill holes or order the panels with the holes.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    the VSC is either going to be a NO, or be so insanely difficult/expensive that you won't want to do it. HID's and foglights should be doable - search the forums a little and you'll find posts about others doing similar type mods (i at least remember the fog lights coming up several times in the past few months).

a 9 speaker setup would be extremely involved, but doable. You'd have to by an aftermarket amp that sorted everything out for you. then you'd probably have to replace some of the speakers and add the tweeters to the frames, which could be a little tough. IMO, for every thing you want, you'd be better off going for a higher model number. i doubt the the potential cost savings can really compensate you for the amount of time you would have to put into a project list like this. but then again, if you really enjoy doing stuff like this (i know i do), then go for it.

4. c4

c4 Active Member

I wouldn't necessarily say "can't".. There's no "kit" available, but nothing is stopping you from purchasing all the requisite parts and installing them yourself, but it may be complex and expensive...

For VSC, having looked at the wiring diagrams, and from how Toyota has handled non-installed options before, at the very least you'd need the Skid-control (VSC) ECU and you'd likely need to get the wiring harness for the ECU as well.. A different ABS ECU may or may not be required as well.. As I said, complex and expensive, and you're pretty much on your own here- don't expect any help from the dealer..

Personally, I don't know that I'd be making any modifications to the braking system, especially unsupported modifications.. It's one thing to add a nav system, an Ipod interface or hook up a Canview to the MFD, but they are all non-critical systems- brakes on the other hand are too critical to your safety to mess with..

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    in short, it's cheaper to buy a VSC-equipped car now from the factory if that's what you want.

6. Springtime

Springtime Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mywhitenoise @ Aug 8 2006, 12:04 AM) [snapback]299461[/snapback]</div>
    Are you under the impression that the 2007 model year will be available in Sept of 06 or was that a typo and you really intended to say that you planned to buy a 2006?

You would be hard pressed to find a basic 2006 by the end of Spetember and you may not see any 2007's until Jan 2007. By the time the 2007's arrive the full tax credit will be gone.

I think if you are trying to buy a car by the end of September 2006 to take advantage of the full tax credit the best approach would be to find out what 2006 packages are readily available in your area. You may find that your package choice is limited.

Springtime

7. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  8. BobZ

BobZ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Springtime @ Aug 8 2006, 12:12 PM) [snapback]299624[/snapback]</div>
    I added original Toyota Prius fog lights to mine. I looked into adding NAV quite extensively I might add and what I've learned is that these cars ARE NOT pre-wired for anything. What I mean is that I work for Cadillac and almost always the wiring for what ever it is that you want to add is "usually" there. NOT the case with Toyota. So my point is VSC is probably as the other have said BIG bucks and not gonna be easy. :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

9. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the brake ECU is the same for VSC and non-VSC, the only extra
    parts are the yaw sensor [in the bottom of the center armrest] and
    the steering-angle sensor. Back when I had a brake problem the tech
    said it's the same brake ECU either way so he could just order one
    to try replacing. I couldn't get a good answer on "okay, how does
    *it* tell there's VSC or not" but I suspect that the answer is simply
    that if it sees the yaw sensor and the steering-angle thing on the
    CANbus, poof, you've got VSC. Both devices need to be zero-point
    calibrated, of course...
    _H*

10. c4

c4 Active Member

The ABS ECU may indeed be the same box, but in the schematics, I saw another box labeled "Skid Control ECU", which I'm certain is the VSC (unless it's also integrated with one of the sensors you mention)..

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the case of the prius, skid control == brake ECU == ABS unit,
    the big brain mounted above the brake pedal pivot. All the inputs
    go there, and it handles everything including regen requests [via
    CAN to the hybrid controller].
    _H*