1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle w/ the highest fuel efficiency: "PAC-Car"

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Areometer, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Areometer

Areometer Silver Business Sponsor

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ETH Zurich has set a new world record for fuel efficiency. This now stands at 5134 kilometres per litre of petrol. The world-record holding PAC-Car operates on a hydrogen powered fuel cell.

ETH Zurich set itself a goal to construct a vehicle that used as little fuel as possible and provided the highest possible fuel efficiency. So they gave the so-called PAC-Car a fuel cell that produces electrical energy from hydrogen and drives two electric motors. The only "emission" from PAC-Car is pure water. The car is lightweight, weighing in at only about 30 kilograms. And, PAC-Car has now achieved its goal: it finished the course at the Shell Eco-Marathon taking place on the Michelin test track at Ladoux, France, using only 1.07 grams of hydrogen. This converts to about 5134 kilometres per litre of petrol, a new world record in economical fuel consumption. This means that PAC-Car would only use eight litres to drive around the globe.

>> Read More

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is a "car?" at 30 kilos... i dont think many will look at it as such and therefore, this shouldnt usurp any car records.

maybe a category at a personal transportation vehicle. there is no pic so im assuming that its a single seater.

3. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I wonder what the PAC-Car is capable of acheiving in real world usage?

4. Hybrid_Dave

Hybrid_Dave New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DaveinOlyWA\";p=\"102159)</div>
    http://www.paccar.ethz.ch/pictures/pac_car..._II_ladoux_2005

pics are at the above link....pretty cool, but I agree, they use the term "car" very loosely.

Dave.

5. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Re: Vehicle w/ the highest fuel efficiency: "PAC-Car&qu

[font=Comic Sans MS:9180990322]This is not a car in any conventional sense. Certainly not road worthy.[/font:9180990322]

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    just i thought, bike with canopy

7. IALTMANN

IALTMANN New Member

Aerometer..that's not a car, besides how much did it cost?? When they got one with 4-5 pass capacity hatchback., with the conveniences like the Prius, and costing UNDER 40,000...give me a call..