1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vehicle weight: base Prius vs. high end packages

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by rschulzejr, Aug 16, 2010.

1. rschulzejr

rschulzejr New Member

I have a 2010 Prius with solar roof, navigation, leather seats, etc. My daughter loves it. So as a reward for working all summer, we got her a 2010 Prius base model with no bells or whistles. She says the car feels lighter. Out of curiosity, can anyone tell me if there is a significant difference in weight between the various packages, and, if so, is there a significant penalty in terms of fuel consumption?

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't have a definitive answer for you, but do have a link to what Toyota says about II-Y weights so you won't have to look it up.
    Toyota Prius - 2010 Performance & Specifications
    It's obviously not correct because it list all 4 models as the same exact weight to the pound.

I have seen 65-80 lbs claimed for the sunroof plus solar array but don't have the source handy. 80 lb on the roof would feel like more than 80 lbs when maneuvering.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    30kg for the solar roof according to the Japanese website. Add another 5-10kg for leather, nav, bluetooth, heated seats. (mostly nav)

4. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no way she's able to tell the lightness of the lesser items. If you want to prove this to yourself once you figure out how much any options weight go and throw that into her trunk and have her go for a drive and ask her again if it still feels lighter. She'll say yes, you'll say look at this weight in the trunk she's go "hmm".

5. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Being as you own both, you could always take them to a local truck scale and get them weighed, we'd all know for sure then...

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are stickers on the frame that you can see when you open the drivers door. That should tell you how much each weighs. If you would like I can check my vehicle weight tomorrow for the II. I'm curious what the leather and sun roof weigh.

The difference in fuel consumption should be minor between a II and IV with sun roof. It should be the same as having a passenger versus just the driver, or a much heavier driver ;-). The sunroof will cause more drag when opened, but might require less air conditioning if it keeps the car cooler when parked. The heavier wheels and higher rolling resistance cause a small decrease in mileage with the V. That is quite a reward for working just one summer.

7. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

You can take two cars that are identical models and identically equipped and they may feel different.

For instance, differences in wheel alignment can effect how quickly a car responds to initial steering input. A quicker responding car will feel lighter to most drivers.

8. Paul58

Paul58 Mileage Miser

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    She may be running hers in Power Mode while you're running in Eco Mode! I know I can loose what feels like a couple hundred pounds with the press of a button!

9. adrianblack

adrianblack Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I doubt many people can even tell when they have a 200lbs passenger in the car... So the weight difference from 80lbs of the options will be very difficult to feel.

Perhaps she is used to driving the loaded up Prius full of passengers compared to her new "II" all alone.

3 male passengers in my Prius III makes a big difference in handling, braking and acceleration.

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Depends on the car. With the smart or the Prius, one can tell the reduced performance with the extra weight.

The Prius won't feel as sprightly in PWR Mode. I can spin the tyres with me on board. with 4 people, you can't.