1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Velcro, do you use it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by benighted, Mar 25, 2006.

?
  1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I use something else (explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. benighted

benighted New Member

I've found that velcro is very useful. I use a patch of it to affix my cell phone to the dash.

If you have aftermarket armrest or console covers, please don't include that. I'm looking for innovative uses.

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Pants up, shoes on, lunch box closed, welding helmet on, CAN-view module on, trailer wiring neat and tidy. Probably more will come to mind.

3. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    CAN-View attached to the Nav ECU. Radiator blocker attached to the Bra. Phone in a Pro Clip. Nothing else so far.

4. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I use velcro to attach my Pioneer Airware portable XM radio to the "hump" in front of the lower drawer.

5. Three60guy

Three60guy -->All around guy<-- (360 = round) get it?

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    There is a much better product than velcro. It is called Polylock. It is a much stronger product and is used in medical and industrial applications. I get it at my local Ace Hardware store. It isn't cheap but you don't need much of it.

Now combine Polylock with this next product and you have a fantastic way to attach all sorts of small devices to the dash. It is called ProClip Mounting System. There are two halves to the "normal" installaton but if you merely use the specific vehicle mount for your car and cover it with Polylock you will have yourself a terrific and sturdy mount for your cellphone etc. Oh, and put Polylock on your cellphone too.

Oh, you can use Polylock right on the dash too. The same stuff goes on your cellphone, PDA, MyFI Satellite etc.

Here is the link to ProClip:

ProClip

Cheers

6. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    The "hook" side of velcro adheres very well to the carpeting. Maybe there is something on the floor, that you don't want to slide around?

7. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    We have a litter bag velcroed to the grey cover in front on the console.

8. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  9. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I covered the seat with velcro and wear shirts with velcro on the back. Now I don't have to use seat belts anymore.

10. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, I was going to say that I use it on the ceiling to attach my cat so that he doesn't get the seats all furry. :eek:

(But don't worry, I'd never really do that to the little guy.)

11. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Velcro is based on the dried fruit of teasels Dipsacus sylvestris, Cockleburs and other dried fruits.

I use velcro on my backpack, winter expedition gear and it is how I secured the dashboard cover to the Prius. Good stuff as long as you keep it clean.

12. benighted

benighted New Member

I always put the "hook" side on what I am attaching in case I take it to another vehicle that doesn't have velcro. That way there is usually a surface it will still stick to.

13. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I used it to install the center console leather cover and the leather hood for the computer screen. I've used velcro for many years. It is extremely handy for many projects. One time I hung 2 mini gauges on the left pillar in my '87 Grand National.

14. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Who would have thought that a discussion about velcro could be so exciting!?!?

15. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use velcro to hold my remote garage door opener to the centre console of my non Prius car. When I get my Prius in a week or two I will probably do the same thing. Aussie Prius' do not come with a rear vision auto dimming/garage door opener option.

16. Miss_Taz

Miss_Taz New Member

I only use velcro for my E-Pass (our toll road automatic reader thingy).
    It's attached to the windshield, just to the right of the rear view mirror.

Could not bring myself to stick any to the rest of my pretty dashboard... :-\

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    ahh, yes. velcro. what would we all have done without it at the age of three before we learned how to tie our own shoes?

i actually have no velcro of any kind in the car. what i do have is one of those little 3M command hooks in the under-stereo compartment, i use it to hook the loop on my trash bag.

18. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I used velcro to attach the Kenwood sub-woofer control to allow me to adjust the bass depending the the choice of music.

Great stuff and seems to be able to handle temperature variations quite well.

19. Ken Cooper

Ken Cooper New Member

Connects my wireless radar detector to the under-side of the passenger side visor.

I typically don't use it. Exceptions include:

. Staying with the flow of traffic through a posted 45 MPH freeway construction zone on a weekend when no work is being done (typical speeds under those conditions are more like 65 MPH).

. Cross country driving. There are some areas where driving the speed limit results in your being an obstruction to traffic (Try driving the speed limit on freeways going in and out of the Riverside / San Bernadino area during non-rush hour times).

Anyhow, I picked up some good ideas here. Thanks!

20. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ditto. And it also holds on my seat covers.