1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vent in Winter only works for a minute

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by spleuchan, Feb 17, 2013.

1. spleuchan

spleuchan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I like to have heat coming out of the vent. However, in the winter, when I click for it to come out of the vent (as opposed to the floor), it turns on the A/C full blast. I then turn off the A/C and turn down the fan speed. About a minute or less, it automatically turns itself back to floor heat. Anyone else experiencing anything similar? Thanks!

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not at all. You're not in auto mode, right? Manually set a fan speed, a temperature and (using the mode button) a mode and it should stay that way. You aren't hitting the filter button by accident?
    That said, I would probably choose the mode for floor and face vent combined.
    I'll try this on the way to work tomorrow.

3. spleuchan

spleuchan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm not in auto mode, but I may have been hitting the filter button. I didn't even realize what that was until I looked it up just now. I'll have to pay more attention on Tuesday when I go into work, but I'm guessing I was just hitting the wrong button (since reading up on it the filter button only lasts 3 minutes, which is probably how long this is lasting). Thanks!

4. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    For the record it's not the filter button. The incoming air always passes through the cabin air filter.

That is The Plasmacluster ( ® of Sharper Image ) Button.

As I understand it The Plasmacluster ® Button ( aka clean air button ) is a negative ion generator located in just the drivers vent. And it does not 'scrub', does not effect the cabin filter in any way, but creates an ion charge in the air which makes air borne particles cling to surfaces. The dirt does not go away, it just sticks to everything more than normal. Yes, on a 3 minute timer. You can't have too much of a good thing....

The Plasmacluster ® makes small snapping sounds and AM/FM interference,, sometimes.
    But on the plus side of using it, I don't have bad dreams anymore, women flock to me and I lost 40 lbs. !!!!

You can get them for your home and office also !

Batavier likes this.
  5. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not in my car, it isn't. I have a 2011 level III and in that car it's a dust/pollen button. Goes into extreme recycle mode with high fan and pushes the interior air through the same filter at high speed.

See Dust / Pollen Button | PriusChat for more explanation.

7. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I'm not making this up.

Well some of it I'm making up...:D

On all cars the cabin filter is always filtering the outside air coming into the cabin .
    On Recirc that filer is bypassed.

As they say,,, RTDM,,,, In the Owner's Manual, (and not opinions on a forum), is where you can find out what is happening in your car's environmental system.

When ever I get bored I press the The Plasmacluster ( ® of Sharper Image ) Button.

If it's quiet you can hear the little electric snaps in the driver's vent.
    And you can feel your hair grow a little faster too !!!

Batavier likes this.
  8. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    >On all cars the cabin filter is always filtering the [/SIZE]outside air coming into the cabin .
    On Recirc that filer is bypassed.

In normal operation that is probably true.

>As they say,,, RTDM,,,, In the Owner's Manual, (and not opinions on a forum), is where you can find out what is happening in your car's environmental system.

The OP and I have 2011 models--he has a II, I have a III. Here's what the manual says: "Microdust and pollen filter: Outside air mode switches to recirculated air mode. Pollen is removed from the air and air flows to the upper part of the body. Usually the system will turn off automatically 3 minutes later. "

The plasma cluster (a Sharp product--not Sharper Image) operates continuously, came only on the IV and V levels and is not associated with that button.

9. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You're right about Sharp. And I have a IV.
    I don't understand what you are saying your system does.

Is there a second 'Microdust and pollen filter' in the system, in addition to the easy to change cabin air filter?
    What could possibly be happening during the 3min of operation?
    Are you sure your environmental display does not have the words ' Plasmacluster ' printed on it ?
    But you do have that switch shown above?

Maybe Toyota changed the wording on later manuals. When they say "pollen is removed", maybe they are talking about the elctro-charge added to the air making dust particles cling to any surface in the car.
    If "pollen is removed" with a filter, wouldn't that filter need to be changed at some point?

And yes, sometimes my system goes to recirc and always turns on the AC when I press this magic switch.
    So anytime I'm bored and need the magical benefits of Plasmacluster ®, I turn it on, turn off the AC
    (to avoid a MPG hit) and I then bask in the magical fumes while feeling my life improve, for 3 min. !!!!:D

10. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My car doesn't have the plasmacluster. By everything I've read it has nothing to do with that button. In cars equipped with it, it functions continually in the driver's vent.
    Supposedly pressing that button more tightly closes the fresh air intake and circulates the interior air (while chilling it to remove moisture) through the conventional cabin filter.

11. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Note that, when it's cold outside, when using Auto Mode, the a/c light will often stay illuminated, indicating the compressor is running to prevent the windows from fogging up.

12. spleuchan

spleuchan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yep, I was hitting the wrong button. Thanks for everyone's help and I learned something new!