1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Ventilation Fan off House Power?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by RobH, Jul 4, 2009.

1. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 2010 Solar Ventilation system seems like a great system. But since I don't have solar on my Prius, how about running the ventilation system off of house power? Kind of like an engine block heater, but for reducing the interior temperature.

Would the upgraded solar fan for the 2010 fit in a Gen2? Thoughts?

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    1. If you had house power, wouldn't you likely be parked in a garage or carport?

2. The solar roof is integral to the Gen III Prius roof when installed, which is shaped somewhat different than the Gen II.

3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My garage is more of a storage room than a place to put a car. So the Prius is parked in the driveway.

I wouldn't do anything to my Gen2 roof. But I like the idea of running the ventilation fan when the car is parked out in the sun. So a battery charger or similar 12V supply hooked up to the ventilation fan is the idea. Since the 2010 Solar Ventilation system apparently uses an upgraded fan, the ordinary one probably isn't up to continuous service. So maybe the fan used with the 2010 Solar system would be more appropriate.