1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Venting the G2 tank prior to filling

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by yardman 49, Aug 21, 2009.

1. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello all:

Today I tried a trick when filling that was suggested in another post by Edthefox5:

I wanted to start a new thread on this to see if anyone else has tried the same approach. I used it for the first time today with good results, at the station at which I normally fillup.

Prior to this, I also had been experiencing the problem with incomplete fillups with my 2009 G2. I've tried many of the different tricks listed on the forums, with no real consistent success. Although Ed's approach may also eventually prove to not work well for all G2s in all situations, I did find today that it worked well with my vehicle.

Today I put my credit card in the pump, getting ready to start pumping, and then remembered Ed's post. So I opened the gas cap, and waited while I and took a few sips from my coffee cup. I then began to pump at the "high" speed setting on the pump handle latch (Ed mentioned using the slowest speed possible, with a custom cut block of wood). I was able to put in over 9 gallons on the high speed setting before the handle clicked off. This was with 2 pips left on the fuel gage, which seemed close to being correct.

Previous fillups at this station, with the pump at either the lowest speed or highest speed, have not usually been satisfactory. So I'm now at least hopeful. But I'll have to try it many more times, and at different pumps at the station, to see if it works consistently.

I will continue to use this approach, and see if it is consistent. Maybe if others also try it, we can get enough data to see if this is possibly a recommended work around to the bladder filling problem.

Best wishes,

3 people like this.
  2. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My tank hasn't SPOUTED gas since I had the original rubber-gasketed filler tube and electronics replaced like mid-2004. It was a STB that said my VIN range would get both while newer cars got just the tube.

Back then, there was NO air getting around the nozzle while you pumped, so when you pulled it back out sometimes you had a gusher.

While I can get still get an occasional small blowback now if I'm not careful, I'm surprised ANYBODY with a post-2004 is able to get that kind of action...

3. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I also read Edthefox5's suggestion and feel that it has merit. He insists that it works consistently. The method that has worked best for me is to put the nozzle in and pump at high speed. But that doesn't work consistently. I intend to try Ed's suggestion. However, it may be another two weeks or so before I need to fill up again.:D

I'll report back when I do.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Mine vents well enough around the filler without having to wait. I can hear the air escaping as the gas goes in.

Tom

5. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Yardman--you might want to read "No Fix For The Prius Gas Tank" in the Knowledge Based section.

6. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello John:

I'm aware of that thread. It is pretty long :), just like other threads on the G2 bladder issue.

Was there some point in there that you thought may be particularly interesting, or was this technique mentioned in that thread?

Thanks

7. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello Tom:

I agree that it would seem that any pressure would easily escape when filling. But I figured that since Ed seemed so confident that his technique works consistently, I would give it a try and see what happens, and then report back here.

Let's say that this technique actually works. If so, maybe it's not a question of pressure being able to escape from the filler neck when filling, but possibly that some of the Evap control apparatus needs some time to properly configure its valves to a state that allows for proper filling, and that starting too early "confuses" some of the pressure sensors' logic? If so, then maybe waiting a bit prior to starting may help in some way.

Best wishes,

8. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I filled-up this afternoon using the prefill vent procedure. After removing the gas cap I waited approx 3 minutes before starting filling. I was able to put in about a half gallon more than I consumed; however, I know that that tank started at least 2 gallons short of true full. Sooo, I conclude I didn't get any benefit from the venting.

I will try it again on the next tank but am doubtful that I will have positive results.

9. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Hello HS:

Could you share the total gallons that you pumped, and how may pips were left on the gas gauge prior to filling?

Thanks!

PS: another interesting piece of information (assuming that the gas gauge is properly calibrated) would be to see how far you can go until the "first pip disappears". I have found in the past that if I get a "good" fill, I can go maybe 120 - 150 miles before the first pip disappears(assuming the MFD is reporting about 48 mpg). I haven't gone far enough since the "Ed technique" fillup to know how many miles that will take.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Could be, but I've never had the slightest trouble with refilling, except for two times with bad pumps. For me there is no reason to try any of the fixes.

Tom

11. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I pumped 8.2 gallons and had 2 pips left before filling. Based on mfd mpg I should have used 7.7 gallons.

My gas gauge appears to be relatively consistent on number of gallons used when the first pip disappears. When I have known the tank is full (i.e. fuel level seen in filler tube or tank burped) I will get 170 to 180 miles to losing the first pip and lose the next two pips in about 30 miles. That was one factor in my estimate that the tank was at least 2 gallons short of full since I got less than 100 miles to losing the first pip.

I have averaged 47 to 48 mpg fairly consistently over the life of the car (~72k miles) thus my estimate of about 2 1/2 gallons to the first pip drop. My driving is mostly in heavy Southern California traffic which pretty much rules out p&g as a normal routine.

12. boppo

boppo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My last 4 tanks had only 1 pip left and I put in 11.625, 11.59, 11.61 and 11.62. I pump it on slow speed and top it off after the pump auto shuts off. I only had a blow back on my first fillup when I just bought the car and didn't know how to do it right. Once it stops I top it off and I have not had a problem since my first fillup.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thank you. I tested it for a few months before posting here. I was excited as it was getting irritating. Multiple clicks off..then sometimes OK..unable to fill....(always same station) and 2 fairly large gas belches. But my system only works if followed exactly.

*Let vent.
    *Pump at slowest setting.I'm talking crawling. I use a small block of wood about 1 inch thick that I stick under the handle as in Florida all handle catches are removed. Probably breaking another law here...outlaw.
    *Hang up first auto click off no matter what the gallon usage says as after a few fill ups it will calm down and fill up completely & now it fills all the way up. Full pips. I think the secret is really slow filling too. Which is hard to do without a mechanical device holding the handle.
    * And a personal favorite..maybe it has something to do with it not sure but never ever let the tank go below 1 solid PIP. I usually hit it at 2 but sometimes I let it go till its just moved to the last PIP. Running any car low is bad but it might be the worst thing you can do with this car & its bladder.

Try these tactics for a while.

Has not failed since not once. Been quite a while now. Which is really great because after the last gas belch I was thinking of selling it as it was getting stupid. But now liking my car again.

14. john_dough

john_dough New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, your idea of venting-while-filling is discussed. A poster describes his removal of the rubber gasket as his solution.Personally, I set up a small flexible piece of plastic tubing, which I managed (with great difficulty) to insert along with the gas pump filler nozzle (thus bypassing the rubber gasket). It worked OK, in that I managed to get 9 gallons of fuel into the tank (the most ever for me). It was not a practical solution, however.

15. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    In 30k miles I've not experienced the dreaded fuel belch and/or inability
    to completely fill the "tank". I am not particularly careful or consistent
    in how I fill either; sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Most often I don't
    top off, sometimes I do. All in all, I feel blessed.

Nonetheless, this condition causes me concern. I read every fueling
    issue related thread because I fear the symptom can appear at any
    moment and being familiar with the issue and the various techniques
    put forward to avert it may save my bacon on some dark and stormy
    night or when far from home.

That said, I'm beginning to wonder if the problem isn't related not to
    the filler neck/pump nozzle interface, but rather some blockage or
    improper valve sequencing in the known not to be essential for a AT-
    PZEV rating, Rube Goldberg-esque plumbing in the fuel tank cum
    bladder vapor control system.

(See http://www.autoshop101.com/forms/Hybrid13.pdf for details)

This I find less than satisfactory because I can't see the average
    dealer technician being able to diagnose and remedy the situation. :(

With the exception of this issue and one's connected with the 12v
    battery, I think this is a wonderful little car and overall I'm very glad
    that I drive one.

Such is life near, but after the 2010 models no longer exactly on,
    the leading edge. :)

16. PaulHS

PaulHS Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whew! I had to take a breath just reading that sentence!:D

But you may be closing in on the cause. Connecting your thought with Ed's solution, perhaps some Prii have a valve or valves that are slow to open or close due to back pressure or some such thing. Give the tank a few extra seconds and the system's problem resolves itself.(?)

Again, Ed's method is worth a try.

Oh, I meant to add that I think your Prius with the matching red wheels is fabulous and unique. Very creative!

17. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Very true. As I wrote it, it seemed to have a writhing life of its own.
    I considered doing a Hemingway on it and cutting it up into shorter
    sentences. But as looked at it, it seemed to structurally self-reference
    the byzantine twists and turns of the vapor recovery system. In the
    end, I elected to let it stand in its Faulknerian resplendence. :p

I think you may be onto something. Neither Ed's nor my comments
    seem to have the legs to stand alone. Together they do offer a plausible,
    if unprovable, proximate cause.

True again.

Thank you very much. We've not seen another even remotely like her.
    Amapola's flamenco dancer inspired habiliment is most definitely a work
    in progress, with a number of false starts and dead ends. Further
    additions/changes are in the works; some slowly moving to completion,
    others at least contemplated for when $$$ permit.

18. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My MO of gas fill-up is: when I exit the driver's seat, I take the cap off the tank, first thing, then proceed to put cc in gas pump and go thru charge details, then hit button as to what octane I wish, then put gas hose into car's tank opening.
    I stay with the gas pump handle and fill FAST, until the first beep, telling me it is full, I disengage at that time and put hose back into standing pump. I NEVER top off---------and I have never had a blowback and my gas tank is filled to my satisfaction.
    But, then.....I'm just a girl.
    (being facetious)
    :yawn:

19. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Zonie911,

Based solely on the fact that you drive a Prius, I would say that you are
    at least a sensitive, intelligent young woman.

And hey, who ever intimated that inquisitiveness, ingenuity, and problem
    solving are gender related either way? :frusty:

As my Grandmother used to say by way of encouragement to grand
    daughters, female athletes and politicians, etc, "You go it girl! Go it!"

:cheer2: Girl Power! :rockon:

20. zonie911

zonie911 Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you so very much for your kind words, but hey.....I was being facetious. It's hard to tell in black and white type sometimes, isn't it?
    I'd vote for you, Rokeby, you're a good person.

:drama: