1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

vents? there are vents?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by [email protected], Aug 4, 2006.

1. jjones811@hotmail.com

[email protected] Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i am a frustrated vent finder. somebody posted that Toyota did not make it easy to find the vent setting. where is it????? i would love to try vents and not AC. how do i find it?
    i realize i am way too fixated on getting the best MPG- but life will come after vents.

2. esskay

esskay Junior Member

As far as I can tell-- you go to the climate control screen. Tap on A/C to turn it off. Then you crank "TEMP" down to "LO" so it puts cool air through. Then select fan setting of your choice.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(esskay @ Aug 4 2006, 12:45 AM) [snapback]297514[/snapback]</div>
    That's it exactly. If you turn off the A/C on the climate screen, then you are running just the fan. I use this setting on AUTO, then bump the temperature setting up and down to get whatever fan speed I want. If you want to manually control the fan speed, then press LO or one of the other speed settings.

Part of the confusion comes from Toyota's use of the term Air Conditioning. They use it in the broad sense of heating and cooling, so all climate control is Air Conditioning. They also use it in the specific sense of the A/C compressor on the climate screen, where in the lower left there is a button labeled A/C. This is what most of us think of when we say "Air Conditioner" - we think of turning on the compressor.

By default on a 2006, when you press "A/C Auto", the Prius turns on the A/C compressor setting. You can turn it off from the climate screen. Keep in mind that turning on the A/C compressor setting does not necessarily mean that the compressor is always running. The Prius is pretty smart, and will control the compressor speed as necessary.

I generally keep my climate settings in Auto, with or without the compressor, then adjust the temperature setting as needed. Once in a while I will override the auto mode to send the airflow to a different vent.

Tom

4. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    if you want even better mileage, just open up the vents but leave the fans off... you get decent flow through at highway speeds, and if you crack a couple of windows (2 in back, 1 in front seems to work best) you really get good air flow without a lot of wind in your face

5. Ken S

Ken S Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ Aug 4 2006, 09:33 AM) [snapback]297613[/snapback]</div>

If you do that in Southeast Florida you also get the benefit of having all your groceries cooked and ready for dinner before you get home. :)

6. EricGo

EricGo New Member

My '04 does not have a voice command for the lowest temp setting, so instead of tap, tap, tap .. from around 80, I first voice instruct to 66 degrees, then tap.