1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Verdict is in - PEA Cleaner and Oil Consumption

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by jburg, Aug 16, 2020.

1. jburg

jburg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have been tracking oil consumption on my 2010 GenIII (160k miles) over the last few oil changes and saw a post about using 5 tanks with Techron in a row. Here are the results:

OCI #1 - 4289.4 miles traveled, 3.5 qts out, 2.44 qts added over OCI - 0.743 qts/1000 miles
    OCI #2 - 5480.0 miles traveled, 3.5 qts out, 4.10 qts added over OCI - 0.884 qts/1000 miles(Trip back and forth to Ohio on 77 from NC, mountainous terrain)
    During next OCI, treated with Techron and Lucas Deep Clean Fuel System Cleaner - 5 tanks total.
    OCI #3 - 4893.0 miles traveled, 3.5 qts out, 1.20 qts added over OCI - 0.385 qts/1000 miles!

A 50% reduction in consumption. Definitely works.

This oil change I went with Castrol Edge 0W-40 based on recommendations on here. Going to do another full treatment of PEA based cleaner and will follow-up.

#1 jburg, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
  2. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, one of the most coolest thing about this car is miles per gallon stat. Can't believe MPGs weren't even logged :whistle:

The faster you drive, the more burning so if your average speed was significantly faster or slower for each OCIs then data may be skewed.

bmjjb.jpeg

#2 Grit, Aug 16, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    You got me interested enough to look into it. So it seems PEA stands for polyetheramine, which apparently was invented by Chevron and called Techron. I found all this at Road & Track:

PEA is the cleaning agent found in any truly effective complete fuel system cleaner. It is the strongest cleaning agent available in fuel additives. It cleans better and cleans more parts than PIB and PIBA. PEA is in a league of its own and in some cases it is the only detergent that can get the job done.
    Which detergent and how much of it is in the formula will determine the cleaning power of your fuel additive and the treatment interval. Basically, PIB is good, PIBA is better, and PEA is the best. The ratio of cleaning agents to other fluids in an additive will determine how well it cleans existing deposits and prevents new ones from forming. This ratio can vary considerably by brand and product and is not always reflected in the price. However, if an additive does not contain PEA or one of the other nitrogen-based detergents, it simply is not cleaning.
    Sponsored Content - Fuel Additives: Reality vs. Fiction

4. jburg

jburg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Techron has the highest PEA content of any cleaner. I am not the only person that has made this observation (i.e. using Techron to clean out rings) in regards to the GenIII Prius oil consumption. Right now, you can get 6, 12 oz bottles on Amazon of Techron for under $30. That is pennies to ensure your engine remains clean.

I think the main thing is to use a PEA based cleaner every 4 to 5 tanks (Gumout Regane 6 oz is only $5/bottle at Wally World) and only use Top Tier gasoline. Definitely a bottle of Techron after every oil change. Also, the OCI should be reduced to 4000 to 5000 miles even when using quality synthetic PAO, Group IV oil. The turning on and off of the engine creates a 'severe driving' condition in my opinion. I only suggest this since we know that the 2010 to 2014 engines are prone to carbon build-up due to piston design.

Also, in regards to Grit. Average MPH has been fairly consistent (car is a commuter and was used for consistent longer trips over each OCI), but noted the drive through mountainous terrain for that very reason - even that shows a fairly consistent burn rate between OCI. I have an entire Excel sheet of MPG if you would like to see that.

mjoo likes this.
  5. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very interesting. Did you also see a fuel economy advantage when using PEA?

6. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    How much more PEA does Techron has than the other common fuel cleaners?

I would not dump any type of fuel cleaners right after getting an oil change as it may not completely burn and seep right into the chambers and dilute the new engine oil. I’d dump cleaners in the gas tank right before or 2 tanks before changing engine oil.

Jim Swart likes this.
  7. jburg

jburg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    20-49% PEA by weight based on MSDS. Also, it appears Redline is reported to be 30 to 50%, but it is significantly more expensive.

As a comparison, Gumout Regane Complete is 10-30% PEA.

My MPG data is conflated with the cleaning and replacement of my EGR circuit (EGR cooler and valve) so I can't say. After replacement and cleaning of the EGR components and intake manifold, I have seen an average MPG increase of 10.4% over 2313 miles - 47.6 mpg vs. 42.6 mpg (calculated at pump - latter over 4739 miles).

mjoo likes this.
  8. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you looked at BG Products 44k?

Grit likes this.
  9. jburg

jburg Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I have and the reviews are really good for it, but again the cost is best for Techron. From my understanding BG only sells direct to shops and that's the reason for the high price for the consumer.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You can buy on Amazon too;).

Here's a thread where I worked with the local BG Products rep and 44k is concentrated Techron:):

[POLL] Excessive Oil Usage

Take the poll while you're there(y).

Grit likes this.
  11. Johnhafez

Johnhafez New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought redline had to the highest amount of pea. I researched the ingredients lists online...?

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    if you research redlines website, redline will say their product has the most pea. If you research onto techrons page, techrons will say their has the most.

#12 Grit, Aug 23, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2021