1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Verify - PriusChat XM kit works with Package 2?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by avusblue, May 5, 2009.

1. avusblue

avusblue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all, long time lurker, first time post. I just took delivery of a new 2009 Prius, Package 2, over the weekend. Love it!

My car has the stock Toyota radio, non-JBL, marked 51824 on the face. I want to add the XM kit sold by PriusChat, but despite searching the site, I couldn't find clear-cut confirmation that it is fully compatible with a Package 2 car. This radio does not have a "SAT" button, just "AM" and "FM". The dealership told me that if a radio doesn't have a SAT button then it will not be Satellite capable.

I used the "contact us" feature at the PriusChat shop over the weekend to ask directly, but received no response. So, I guess I have actually two questions:

1) Can someone confirm that the Toyota XM Satellite Radio Kit sold by the PriusChat shop 100% works with this stereo? And it will display properly, allow access via the touchscreen, and the steering wheel controls will function? Assuming it does, how then do you access satellite channels without a SAT button?

2) Is the PriusChat shop still in business and legit? Is the XM kit still available and the 90 day initial free XM service promotion still applies? Given the non-response to my inquiry, I figure it pays to ask before sending in the money.

Thank you much. 47.4 average mpg so far!

Cheers,

Dave

2. grathke

grathke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wish I could reply directly to your question. My circumstance is slightly different but can't imagine how it would end up differently

I have a 2008 package 2 (non JBL radio without a SAT button). I purchased a VAIS unit for use with an XM mini tuner. It works by cycling through the AM button on the radio or the Mode button on the steering wheel.

I chose the VAIS SLXMT which supports the mini tuner because it lets me bring the very tiny tuner in the house and listen to XM on my house stereo if I chose.

I could not be happier.

Glenn

3. avusblue

avusblue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I installed the genuine Toyota XM Satellite Radio Kit (receiver and fit kit) over the weekend and can confirm it indeed, works with the Package 2 2009 Prius (non JBL radio 51824, without a SAT button).

o Pressing the AM button cycles through AM, SAT1, SAT2, SAT3.

o The touchscreen displays the SAT screens, the presets / channel / artist / song titles display properly, and the TEXT function works.

o The MODE and up/down buttons on the steering wheel function properly for SAT as well.

All is perfect - you'd never know it wasnt' factory except for the AM button not having "SAT" printed on it.

The installation itself was a piece of cake -- it took about an hour and a half, following the pdf official Toyota instructions. It would take less time to do it again, this was the first time I'd taken anything apart on my Prius. I did install the antenna on the roof (as per Toyota's Sirius instructions), just ahead of the rear edge by the hatch opening. I have the XM antenna on the dash top on our Highlander, and it has occasional signal dropouts that you never get with rooftop mounting.

So, all is well, and I saved a bundle by not upgrading to a Package 3 Prius just to get a "Satellite-Ready" radio. The Package 2 radio is perfectly Satellite capable.

Cheers, and thanks to PriusChat for all the info.

Dave

PS -- 49.2 mpg average so far, about 1500 miles in! I'm happy!

4. Bookwyrm

Bookwyrm Proud Prius Purchaser

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you, you have provided an answer I can use! I bought an 09 #2 Prius a week ago. Love it, but want an XM radio. Dealer is still finding out if XM can be installed, giving me the "no sat on radio" explanation, but is (supposedly) searching for answer! I am NOT technical...I know a fit kit allows the installation of a different size/shape radio in dash. But what is the receiver? I thought that was the 'guts' of a radio. So, what you actually did was replace the guts? How different is that to replacing the radio? And what you got was obtained through a Toyota dealer, not aftermarket? :)

5. avusblue

avusblue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it is the actual Toyota OEM kit. I tried to buy it from PriusChat but they couldn't quite get the order properly processed and shipped out in a reasonable amount of time. So I purchased at the Toyota dealer from the parts counter, which was priced 15 bucks higher, but they had it in stock.

The kit comes in two boxes, there is an actual receiver unit that mounts under the passenger side of your rear seat, along with all the various cabling, bracketry, antenna, etc you need to complete the installation.

Here is the installation in a nutshell:

1) Install XM receiver box under the rear seat.
    2) Run supplied cable from the receiver box to the existing radio, and plug it in, beneath the dash. You have to take out the glove box & vent to reach, but you don't have to take out the existing radio.
    3) Install antenna, run that line, and plug its cable into receiver box.
    4) Call XM and activate radio.

As I mentioned above, the installation was very easy, and the money saved by buying package 2 vs. 3 is significant. The dealer's Official Info supplied by Toyota says that package 3 (the JBL radio) is required, so technically he isn't lying, but the info from Toyota is wrong. It works fine with your existing package 2 radio. It just doesn't say "SAT" on the AM button.

So go for it!

Cheers,

Dave

1 person likes this.
  6. avusblue

avusblue Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is the link with the official Toyota instruction sheet you need. The XM sheet has the two part numbers you need for the Toyota kits.

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Tuner Assy 86180-0W030[/FONT]​
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Mounting Kit PT546-47060[/FONT]

[FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]Typically they are sold together and you should expect to pay no more than $299 from your dealer. See if they'll match the PriusChat price of $265 (bring a printout of the page).[/FONT]

I mounted the XM antenna on the roof as per the Sirius sheet.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-audio-electronics/46073-2006-toyota-xm-sirus-install-sheets.html

Good luck. The instructions make the job look a lot more complex than it really is. Just see my posting above for the summary!

Dave

1 person likes this.