1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Verizon Bluetooth Phone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by kimharm, Mar 25, 2006.

1. kimharm

kimharm New Member

I'm looking to upgrade to a Verizon bluetooth phone to use with my Prius (when it arrives). Does anyone have any model suggestions? Thanks.

2. brasche

brasche Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Verizon disables some Bluetooth capabilities (Object Push Profile) to prevent you from transfering photos from the phone directly to your computer (they want you their service at additional cost). The unfortunate effect is that address book and other functionality object oriented functionality works poorly with the Prius. The prius needs a phone with Bluetooth 1.1 or higher, Hands Free Profile 1.0 or better and Object Push Profile 1.1 (there are multiple objects, the bigger the list the better).

Cingular does not handicap their phone and I've heard Sprint phones work well. Better yet, buy a fully functional phone from an independent seller.

Hope this helps, Brian

3. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I have an e815 from Verizon which works well with the Prius. You see the signal strength on the MFD, but when a call comes in, the ring is from the phone only. When you touch the phone button on the steering wheel it mutes the audio.

There is one model that Verizon sells that doesn't have OPP disabled, but I forget the model. Since you're getting a 2006 you can enter phone numbers manually. Hopefully there isn't too many for you to enter. As I have a 2005 (and can't enter them manually) there's a couple of workarounds, but I only have 2 numbers that I call on a regular basis, which is handled by the one-touch.

4. Tempus

Tempus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Nokia 6256i

Verizon doesn't sell it directly, but it's available in places like Best Buy and Circuit City.

5. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Verizon is evil... i was in an abusive relationship with verizion so I divorced them and married T-Mobile... I am very happy in my new relationship. :)

6. tedb

tedb Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have a LX VX8100 which works quite well except, as already noted, the phone book will not transfer.

There are apparently workarounds such as uploading via a bluetooth enabled laptop.

Verizon wireless website does have a chart with their blue tooth phones listed and delineating what each model will and will not do. I think that one of their newer Blackberry models or Treos will allow phone book to be uploaded directly from the phone.

Frankly, inasmuch as the Prius disables your ability to use the phonebook once you are rolling, it is no big deal to pick up the phone and use its phonebook, which you can do either stopped or rolling. I gather there are also work arounds for those who want to be able to use all aspects of the navigation system even when moving but that is another issue.

I for one am generally very pleased with Verizon -- and could not wait until I got away from AT&T with which (or a predecessor) I had been for more than a decade.Verizon in our area has the best level of service, at least as measured in terms of customer satisfaction.

Good luck.

Ted

7. HokieHybrid

HokieHybrid New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just got a Nokia 6256i and haven't yet tried to pair it with my Prius. I think I'm going to save myself the time...since I'm planning to exchange it. The buttons are difficult to use....even with my little fingers. The center menu button is nearly impossible to push. My last Nokia was a fabulous phone. I'm really disappointed. I think I'm going to try out the LG VX8100.