1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Verizon cell phones

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jdjeep98, Feb 7, 2006.

1. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

I just came back from one of those "licensed" Verizon stores (not the corporate kind). They tell me that the Nokia 6256i digital video/camera phone has "object exchange" (that is what it's called, isn't it?) enabled, unlike most other Verizon phones.

The upshot of this is that this phone, which is apparently available only in these "licensed" stores, not in the corporate stores or online, is the only Verizon phone that can transfer its phonebook to the car.

Apparently, however, there are some hacks around online that can enable "object exchange" on other phones, too. (although, don't try to get warranty work done if you have hacked your phone... ;) )

Just thought I'd pass it on. :)

2. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes and no. For example, you can enable OBEX on the e815, but not OOP (OBEX Object Push).

3. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Hmmm. I've never worked with bluetooth before. How do these differ (sounds like OOP is essentially a write function)? Is OBEX sufficient for the phonebook transfer?

Thanks

4. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No, I have an e815 with OBEX enabled, but not OOP (hasn't been found for the e815 yet). OOP is the function to actually cause the information to move (hence the name Push), in this case to the phonebook in the Prius.

There are workarounds, like getting a cheap BT phone (or using a friend's) that does have OOP or use a laptop that has Outlook Express and BT.

5. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

Crap! :angry: What a pain! :angry:

I guess I'll start looking for a cheap bluetooth module for my laptop... :unsure:

6. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Or just skip Verizon altogether. They might get the message that disabling phone features is bad for their bottom line.

7. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    That's the other solution, and certainly a good option. I forgot to mention that. If you do plan to use the phone a lot in the Prius AND are in a position to startup with cell service, then Verizon should be skipped.

Now in my case, 97% of the calls I make from the Prius are to my house and 2% is to my parents (with the same message that I'm on the way). Those calls are easily taken care of by the One-Touch's first two buttons. The remaining 1% is handled by putting phone numbers in the POI area of the NAV system. In all about 20 minutes a month are calls made in the Prius. Since spending $175 to cancel service and then get another phone and service would not increase the amount of time I spend on the phone in the Prius, that isn't an economical solution for me.

If you spend a lot of time on the phone that's another matter. Jdjeep98 do you have an '06? I think they allow for manual entry. Also, a BT dongle is about $30.

8. jdjeep98

jdjeep98 New Member

I do have an 06 and I'll have to check, but I think you're right. It might let me load the phonebook manually, but in my case, that may take a while. I use my cell phone for business and I have several hundred numbers on it. (I typically use only about a dozen, though... maybe I could put them in manually...)

I just changed our whole account structure and I'm sure they would nail me if I discontinued service at this point. I think I'll go the dongle/laptop route.

Thanks.
    :)

9. ttabbal

ttabbal New Member

Even a phone that has OPP wouldn't help you much then. The reason is that most phones that can upload to the Prius can only do one contact at a time. That's a lot of times to go through that little dance to upload a contact. There are a few phones that can transfer the whole phonebook, but not many. You might want to check the Prius-2G Yahoo list. Someone there posted a program to upload the contact list from Outlook into the Prius.

For brave Verizon customers, the RAZR can be flashed to use Alltel firmware which doesn't have OBEX/OPP locked out. I've done the flash on my phone and I can now upload contacts to my Prius, one at a time. I have an 06 and can enter numbers into my car with the MFD, so it's not a big deal, but for new numbers, it's a nice feature. I only needed a few contacts in there though.