1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Verizon LG VX8600 Phone Book Transfer Success

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by pendetim, Jan 28, 2007.

1. pendetim

pendetim Junior Member

I had some time to fool around with my Verizon LG VX8600 and the Bluetooth connection in my 2006 Prius yesterday.

I don't know if this was posted before but I could not find it. It appears that Verizon is allowing a little more flexibility on their BT connections now. Before the classs action lawsuit last year, the Bluetooth protocol was really crippled.

I was able to transfer 10 contacts at a time from the VX8600 to the Prius phone book.

The steps:
    Telephone, Settings, Phone Bok, Transfer Data, Select a "Group", The window " Transferring data pops up"

Go into the Bluetooth menu on the VX8600 and "send card" You are limited to selecting 10 cards in each batch transfer but can repeat as many times as you want until you fill up the Prius Phone book.

I don't know if other Verizon phones can do the same thing.

Tim

2. lrimmer

lrimmer New Member

I just posted a question about this before I read your post. I have a Verizon phone but not the same one as you. Do you know if the contacts in the phone have to be assigned to a group in advance of the transfer? How do you select the 10 that get transfered?

3. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
  4. pendetim

pendetim Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(soccermom @ Jan 28 2007, 11:55 AM) [snapback]381951[/snapback]</div>
    If you follow the steps in the order I listed above, it should work.
    The process is initiated at the Prius and then when that is set, go into the phone and send cards.

Tim

5. qleaper

qleaper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pendetim @ Jan 28 2007, 06:09 AM) [snapback]381902[/snapback]</div>

I just got an LG Chocolate for my new Prius, and under the BT options on the phone it says "send name card" -- haven't tried this yet, but wonder if it's the same as the "send card" option mentioned above...

6. qleaper

qleaper New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pendetim @ Jan 28 2007, 06:09 AM) [snapback]381902[/snapback]</div>
    I was able to upload 20 of my contacts from my LG Chocolate to the Prius, 10 at a time, using this method. However, there was one left, and my phone now disconnects BT every time the "Transferring data" pops up...

7. Burner

Burner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(qleaper @ Apr 23 2007, 02:47 PM) [snapback]428508[/snapback]</div>

Hello everyone. First post, long time Lurker. My Wife has a 2006 Prius, and I am having the same issue. I am trying to upload the contacts on an Alltel phone (Motorola E815), and every time the transferring data pops up, I lose the hands free connection and the Blue tooth icon on the phone disappears. Any idea what the issue may be? I've tried different settings on the phone to no avail.

8. AZPrius07

AZPrius07 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Burner @ Jul 23 2007, 03:20 PM) [snapback]483785[/snapback]</div>
    I had an E815 with Verizon. I think the phone is to old for transfers. I now have an LG VX8700 and was able to transfer ALL my contacts at once.

David

9. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AZPrius07 @ Jul 25 2007, 01:42 PM) [snapback]484830[/snapback]</div>
    I still have my E815 with VZW. It's not really a matter of the phone being too old, it's more like Verizon's firmware version removed the OPP (Object Push Profile) from the phone. No OPP = no contact transfer from the phone to the Prius.

Alltel, however, reportedly uses a different firmware version which did *not* remove OPP, or render it inoperable. Thus, contact transfers from an Alltel E815 to a Prius *should* work. Also, when transferring contacts from a BT-device to the car via OPP, I believe it's perfectly normal for the BT Handsfree connection to be lost. At least that's what happens when I transfer contacts from my VZW Nokia 6256i to my 2004 Prius; the HF connection is dropped and the transfer is initiated from the phone via OPP (not HF).

10. Burner

Burner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tag @ Jul 25 2007, 03:33 PM) [snapback]484873[/snapback]</div>
    So how long should it take to transfer over 50-100 contacts? I let it go for several minutes, and it didn't appear to be doing anything. Perhaps it takes a while?

As far as Verizon goes, yes they cripple Obex in their firmware on almost all the phones except smart phones. There are some models where a certain firmware level may allow it, but if you upgrade fw, it's likely to make it inoperable. This, among other reasons, is why we just dropped Verizon. :angry:

11. tag

tag Senior Member

Yes it does, for me at least. In addition to a Verizon E815 and a 6256i, I picked up an SE T68i a couple of years ago. The latter model has the ability to transfer all contacts at one time. The first time I tried, with dozens and dozens of contacts stored in the phone and an unpopulated phonebook in my Prius, it seemed to take forever. You *should* see a message something like "Transfer in progess" on the MFD, though. If not, then something is definitely awry.

Actually, times have changed. There is now a very wide selection of VZW (non-PDA/Smartphone) BT models that support OPP for vCard. At least VZW customers are not stuck with what they had before......a ton of BT phones that couldn't do much more than connect to a BT headset or car kit.

12. Burner

Burner Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just an update, I did get it to work. I had to send them one at a time, but it did add them to the Phonebook. As there is very little info out there on how to send one at a time (I found this on a Lexus forum), here's what I did: (This information is based on using a Motorola BT phone).

On the Prius MFD, select Info>Telephone>Settings>Phonebook>Transfer data. At this point, choose a group to send the contact to. If it is not your first contact added, hit the add to button. At this point, you will see the "Under Transfer" screen, and your cell phone should lose its Hands free connection.

In your phone, choose a contact you want to send to the Prius and click on it. At this point, go into your menu system of the phone, and there should be an option to send. Click that and choose Hands Free. At this point it should load the contact to the Prius, and you should get the "Transfer Completed" screen after several moments.

At this point, the Prius MFD should change back to the Telephone screen, so hit Settings>Phonebook>Transfer data and repeat the above as many times as is required.

Hopefully this info helps someone. :)

13. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    its been well established that at one time, verizon restricted MOST bluetooth functions. and as a good company should, they saw a customer need (albeit after a multitude of complaints and an attempted class action lawsuit) and changed their policy.

just for kicks, i uploaded my contacts from my LG 9900 and it took about 2 minutes. most of that time was to get the transfer going. but mine is relatively new and on the high end of the non-PDA options verizon has. i can also transfer pix directly to my laptop as well since i have full FTP transfer enabled.

now my Prius does not have BT, so had to borrow a Prius that did, but did it mostly to demostrate my phone as well as he is waffling between the iphone and verizon. he is not going to be a world traveler (imho, one of the ONLY reasons to goto cingular) and with his needs, my phone, which also has wireless sync capabilities would cover his needs, be MUCH faster and also cheaper since now, verizon bundles unlimited msging, wireless sync and all for an additional $40