1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Verizon Treo 650 and Pairing with 2005 Toyota Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by priusbob, Jun 3, 2005.

1. priusbob

priusbob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Boy was I disappointed to find out that when Verizon Wireless finally supported and started selling the Treo 650 that my 2005 Prius did not support it.

I've been reading this forum to find answers but can't seem to see anything about a Treo 650 on Verizon.

Has anyone tried using the Cingluar CarKit from palmOne on a Verizon phone?

Does anyone know of another solution to get the Verizon Treo 650 to pair with the Prius?

Thanks,

Bob

2. BetsyHaha

BetsyHaha New Member

I just joined Priuschat because I want a Bluetooth-compatible phone for my 2004 Prius. (If I should have started a new topic, please forgive me and tell me which icon to click on.) My Verizon contract will be over next week. I spent a lot of time today trying to find out which company and which phones would be compatible. I really want to stay with Verizon, but that may not be possible. I called Toyota customer service, and was told that all compatible phones are to be found at www.toyota.letstalk.com. Interestingly enough, for every zip code I entered including my own and for EVERY model Toyota that has Bluetooth capability, the ONLY company is Cingular.
    To anyone who has any experience with Bluetooth in your Prius, I would like to know is it with Cingular? Which phone do you have? Are you happy with it? Do you have a 2004 Prius?
    Many thanks,
    BetsyHaha

3. priusbob

priusbob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My parents have Motorola flip phone with Verizon that works well in their 2005 Prius. Don't know the model off hand but Verizon doesn't offer many Motorola phones with Bluetooth.

4. tag

tag Senior Member

Currently, the only Motorola phone with Bluetooth offered by Verizon is the V710. I have one and it works just fine with my 04 Prius except, of course, for the inability to transfer the V710's phonebook to the car. According to a few sources, the soon-to-be-released Motorola e815 could very well have that capability.

5. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It seems to come down to a choice between

Verizon V710, but no phone contact transfer (use incoming/outgoing, 1-touch list only)

or,

Cingular V551, which works great!

We all know that Verizon has better signal in most area. That is a given.
    Last I read from the web, Verizon is standing firm on the FTP issue. Even with the newer phones to be released, I don't think they are going to back down. If they do, they will need to correct millions of phones that are out there with BT. A sticky issue for Verizon.

6. BetsyHaha

BetsyHaha New Member

Please tell me what FTP and BT stand for.
    Thanks

7. tag

tag Senior Member

FTP = File Transfer Protocol (protocol for exchanging files).

BT = Bluetooth

8. tag

tag Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ceric\";p=\"95526)</div>
    I agree; they probably won't back down. However, the e815, per the BT Qualification site and unlike the V710, has the necessary firmware. Thus, it could be a simple matter of enabling whatever VZW disables via a seem edit.

9. Wino

Wino New Member

I picked up my verizon Treo 650 from the Palm one website a week or two ago. Came 24 hours after placing my order on the internet. Worked with the Prius strait out of the box no patches or anything required.

The only feature that doesn't seam to work is the repeater for the signal strength bars on the upper right corner of the dialing screen. However, since Verizon always works, I aint too worried about it.

Works great...

I had the motorola 710 before the treo btw...

Cheers
    Wino

10. solardell

solardell New Member

Wino,
    I went to a Verizon Store last week and tried to get the Treo 650 to pair with my 2005 Prius and it would not even find the phone. Are you saying it works, ie the phone hands free and transfers the entire phone book to the Prius ?

SolarDell

11. Wino

Wino New Member

yeah, worked strait out of the box.
    There was something slightly strange about finding the phone. I seam to recall that the problem was on the prius side (select phone button or something like that in the nav menu) Took me about 5 mins to get it to sync. But I made no changes to the Treo 650, uploaded no patches or anything like that and it is working fine.

The one caution I have is that names with multiple phone numbers willonly transfer one phone number to the car, the others will be lost.

Cheers
    Wino

12. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    My Sprint Treo650 works pretty well with my Prius. There is one undocumented 'trick' required to get them to pair up initially, namely once the Treo finds the Prius the Prius won't recognize the Treo until you place a call with the Treo while the Prius is searching for it. While the call is in progress the Prius will suddenly find the Treo and it has worked just fine for me ever since. Other caveats are, as someone noted above, that the phone signal strength does not work. I have not tried to transfer the phone book from my Treo to my Prius yet, so I cannot comment on that. Also, another caveat supposedly is that if you receive another call while a call is in progress, the initial call will be disconnected in favor of the second call, however I have not experienced that yet, since I don't get **that** many calls. Supposedly you can work around this issue this by dialing *70 to turn off call waiting. In spite of these flaws, I have been very pleased with my Sprint Treo 650 and the Prius.

hope this helps,
    Bill

13. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wino\";p=\"95960)</div>
    That's great news. I thought that since the "Allow Wakeup" item was gone from the VZW 650 bluetooth menu, that it wouldn't work once the phone had locked it's screen/gone to sleep ... so you can make outgoing calls & take incoming calls? The phone is recognized when you get int he car ?

Just double checking! Thanks ...

14. colin1

colin1 New Member

Hi.

Yesterday, I bought a Treo 650 (GSM/GPRS) from Cingular and had no trouble pairing it with my 2005 Prius.

It's wonderful! Even with the car parked in the garage and my Treo upstairs in the house, I can send and receive calls in the Prius.

I did install the PalmOne Bluetooth Car Kit update and followed instructions previously posted on this site. No problems.

15. priusbob

priusbob New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ltu1542hvy\";p=\"96856)</div>
    Thank you to all who have responded to this thread.

I tried the above several times with no results. Can you be more specific as to when to make the call on the phone? What is displayed on the Prius's screen at the time the call is made? Right now, all that I get is the screen that says it's searching for a device and it just hangs there.

Thanks, Bob

16. ltu1542hvy

ltu1542hvy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Look on the Treo. Once the treo recognized the Prius and asks for the passkey (or whatever that number is called) and you have it entered, the Prius is still displaying the "searching for a device" messae. At that point press the button with the green phone icon on the Treo and dial a call; doesn't matter to whom or where (just so I won't annoy anybody I called my work voicemail). After the call connected and was about 10-15 seconds in progress, the Prius displayed a message saying that it had found my Treo.

Also, make sure that your Treo is configured as follows:
    Tap the Bluetooth applet in the Launcher, and press the menu hard key on the Treo. Under options set it so that it reads "Enable Device Name cache" and "Do not allow wake up." Once that is set, go back to the launcher and tap on the Prefs applet and go to Handsfree. Set Auto answer to either "After 2 rings" or "disable."

hope this helps,
    Bill

17. macs4me!

macs4me! New Member

Thank you all!! I went to the Verizon store today with one day left to decide whether or not to keep my Treo 650. When I saw that the other Bluetooth options were slim pickings I decided to come back and do more searches on online for solutions.
    After reading the tip about placing a call with the Treo while pairing the Prius and the Treo I was able to pair my phone on the first try! I had spent at least 45 minutes trying to get it to work before! So thanks again! I'm keeping the Treo and I'm even happier with my Prius!

Now....to try to bring contacts into the Phone book....
    Any more great tips???

Best Wishes-
    Deb

18. awarlick

awarlick New Member

I just finished setting up my new Verizon Treo 650 with my new 2005 Toyota Prius. I had a lot of trouble until I realized that the bluetooth connection doesn't work when the treo bluetooth menu is active. I followed other people's instructions below to set up (except that I don't have some of the options in my menus), and then stayed away from the bluetooth application, and everything is working great. Good luck with your phone & prius.

19. jimofdg

jimofdg New Member

Thanks very much for turning this thread from something unresolved (original post) into good news.

Apparently I will be joining the Treo 650 owners on Verizon. My Kyocera 7135 was showing its age and it looks like the only replacement (at no charge) is the Treo 650. FYI Verizon is now offering the Samsung i730, a Pocket PC smartphone with Bluetooth. But I'm a Palm person.

I look forward to a new learning curve. One tip I had heard is that the Prius does not want to see parentheses and hyphens in your phone number, just give it a stream of numerals. I hesitate to repeat this advice, as so much else is becoming obsolete due to recent improvements. That is, the complaints are obsolete.

20. delrey

delrey Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimofdg\";p=\"102083)</div>
    This is still a limitation - NO parens at all, as far as I can tell, but hyphens seem to be OK. It's possible that if a hyphen was in an unexpected spot then the car wouldn't like it. Spaces I'm not sure about ...
    The good news is that it's obvious when something has gone wrong (such as a paren or other formatting that it doesn't like). Just look through your phone book after uploading it and if you see some funny "||||||||" characters instead of numbers, you know you need to fix those entries. You can delete them & reupload just the corrected ones if you only have a few problem entries.