1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Verizon Treo 650

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Don-RI, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Don-RI

Don-RI Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    From the Verizon Wireless website: "The latest Smartphone from PalmOne - the Treo 650 will soon be certified on the Verizon Wireless network. "

http://www.vzwshop.com/treoinfo/

"*Disclaimer: The Treo 650 supports the following Bluetooth Profiles: wireless headset, hands-free accessories, file transfer and synchronization with compatible PC’s. It does not support all profiles, for object exchange (Obex)...
    *Check with accessory manufacturer for compatibility."

Reading this disclaimer, does this mean that the Treo 650's Bluetooth functionality should work with the Prius -- or will there be similar or more even more issues as other VZW bluetooth phones????

2. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Both the Cingular and Sprint Treo 650s work reasonably well with the Prius. Sound quality is good but signal strength doesn't come through. Both versions of the phone will drop existing calls when a new one comes in the Prius. We're all hoping an update comes out soon to remedy this. I highly recommend the phone if you like a lot of functions, versitility and don't mind a phone that crashes occasionally. The website www.mytreo.net will answer most of your questions on the phone.

Good luck.

3. mss

mss New Member

Verizon started selling this phone this weekend and I am told it will be publicly promoted starting tomorrow (Monday - May 23rd).

The phone looks great, but I have some major reservations:

1) Bluetooth compatibility with the Prius.

2) Cannot have the phone active without a data plan.
    For all practical purposes this means an additional $600 /yr. to Verizon for a data service that does not utilize the new EVDO network (Only 1x) - and if I change my mind, I need a different phone. Plus are the data features worth it? How well does it surf the web? How fast are downloads? How well can I integrate my mail? Do I want to?

In the past I have subscribed to their WAP service (I know - no comparison), but $50/month for email and ocassional web services is no bargain.

3) Reception, and call quality. I travel through marginal service areas and have seen my current phone degrade in its ability to maintain calls. It is driving me crazy, but this is actually my #1 concern. How good is this device as a phone.

Also with a 1 megapixel camera - it already seems behind the times. Even though I would not be getting this primarily as a camera.

If anyone has already decided to get this phone with Verizon, Please post your results and experiences. Otherwise I may just wait for the replacement to the Motorola 710. I hear it is in the pipeline and addresses some issues with that phone.

Thanks.

4. Blue Rhino

Blue Rhino New Member

My experience with my VZW Treo 650 and my Prius has been quite positive. Took a little time to pair, but once I got that to work, it's been very reliable ever since. Yes, I get disconnected when a second call comes in but other than that, I've had no problem.

Hope this helps.

/BR

5. David

David Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My Cingular Treo works well with marginal signals. I use Snappermail for email and it works well with Outlook. Visit www.mytreo.com for much more info on the Treo.

To me the dropped calls in the Prius is the main problem but I've somewhat learned to live with it. The other reality is if you are driving at highway speeds the Prius' phone system just doesn't work well due to the wind and road noise. it works great around town.