1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very happy with my first fill-up: 48.0 mpg

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by blades, Aug 4, 2010.

1. blades

blades New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad to report that I'm extremely pleased with my first full tank of fuel on my 2008 Prius that I just picked up a couple weeks ago. It included some highway driving, lots of rural, hilly driving, and some city driving. The Prius rewarded me with an average of 48.0 mpg with careful driving (no A/C on a few trips back & forth to work). So far I'm having to run the A/C much more this week due to the incredibly hot temps, so I'm not expecting quite as high on the next fill-up, but we'll see.

This is a full 20mpg more than I was getting with my 2009 Corolla. :eek:

2. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have noticed that the average fuel improvement between a efficient non hybrid, like the corolla and the Prius is an additional 20mpg, both city and highway. Try putting your foot on the brake pedal most of the time on any downhill roll OR a traffic slow-up. 48 is good, but, you may do better!

3. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Congrats on a great start!

Not sure I agree with andy completely. If the hill is big enough to fill the pack no matter what, use B mode. If the hill will not fill the pack in B mode, stay in D and control speed as necessary with brake pedal to get regen. Same for traffic slow-up. So far I am in agreement.

But better to avoid the brake pedal and regen when not needed and merely conserve momentum with no arrow glides below 42 mph (gen2) and slight assist warp stealth above that speed. Regen offers poor efficiency compared to getting speed right to begin with.