1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very hard to sell my Prius 2010

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by fil100, Oct 28, 2022.

1. fil100

fil100 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Having a very hard time selling my 2010 Prius 3 with 253.000 km here in Norway. In very good shape, with clean egr and new winter tires. Also no oil-usage.

Ad seems to mosty attract scammers and low-ballers so far. Maybe I will only get about $4-5000 for it.
    So we dont have the similar high prices of used cars here it seems.

Sad to sell it but we need a 4x4. Got a Huyndai Santa Fe for only $4000. I know - Huyndai is not the best cars but this diesel models have been known to get at least 250-300.000 km here.

2. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am in Toronto, Ontario Canada. About 3 years ago, I tried to sell a used 2011 Hyundai Sonata at 180,000km as the family member no longer needed the car for the duration of school and it didn't make sense to maintain the insurance. The car had brand new Michelin tires. The battery was replaced recently. The front brakes were new. The only problem is that after the oil change interval of 6000km, it would start burning oil quickly, so it was important to change oil on time.

The used car selling experience was not pleasant. I took as many pictures as I could and I posted three different ads. I tried posting it a bit below market price for a quick sale.

Over the course of 3 months, three different people responded to the ads. All three people requested for a test drive. I tried telling them I only allow serious buyers test drives. All 3 ended up not buying after the test drive. The used car buyers will point out all the defects they can find and try to lower the price further. It was annoying to have to meet one of the buyers on the edge of the city.

Lucky for me, the family member's schooling situation changed and needed the car a few months later. I ended up canceling the Ads to terminate the sale. I asked insurance to store the car for 3 months (with only fire coverage) which reduced the bill. The car is still driven today. I guess it will be driven until it is scrapped.

Merkey likes this.
  3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yes you never buy vehicles and what not or anything with the intent to sell because selling really does suck no kidding it's not a fun thing to do and nobody wants to deal with it and it used to be used cars and things were just that and we're reasonable I never paid more than $1,000 for a car until my god all of a sudden I don't know two or three years ago exactly things just went completely tard. So I stopped buying and don't even fool with the mess just because I can wait I have plenty of time got enough vehicles nothing I have is for sale per se so I'm not in that game I don't have a kid that's going to change his game and need me to sell his car I would just keep it probably because it's not worth the trouble when somebody gets in trouble and really needs the car then it could possibly sell or be used and if not no problem but as far as having people come over and kick tires and talk crap out in the yard and whatever they do I don't need any of that I don't buy things with any of that in mind or if I buy this now in a few years it'll be worth 20,000 yeah okay forget that type of thinking even with homes tiny homes campers don't do it

Michael Wood likes this.
  4. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    On the opposite end, I tried to buy a used 2010 Mazda 3 privately about 6 years ago. I didn't know how to inspect cars, so I asked the seller to bring the car to the nearest Mazda dealership for a neutral inspection. I told the seller I would only buy on the condition that nothing is wrong is found with the car by the mechanic during the neutral inspection. The dealership agreed to check the car's condition for purchase for $150. The car was left over night.

After the inspection, the mechanic found body repairs have been done to the car. The front driver's side showed signs wielding from body work. The front corner was replaced with aftermarket parts. The car was lynched straight.

I backed out of the deal. The seller honestly didn't know the car was in a previous collision and he agreed to cover the inspection costs. The carproof or carfax didn't even show there was an previous accidents.