1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very High Pitch Continues Noise with ABS, Break lights on

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by AllenZ, Sep 2, 2016.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

My 2004 has 238K miles on it. Couple of weeks ago the break light on dashboard was on, and made a squeaking noise (rear breaks I guess). I did not have time to fix it, so it lasted maybe 3 weeks. Now it suddenly makes very high pitch continues sound once the car is turned on, and when driving, the break is very hard to use, almost feel like a hand break.

I wonder if I just replace the rear breaks, will it back to normal? Or there will be some other electronic parts gone bad?
    Thanks!

Allen

#1 AllenZ, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

You should have the trouble codes read from the brake system computer as soon as possible. They will indicate what the trouble is.

There are a lot of possible problems, and a lot of possible codes. Most of them only light the warning lights on the dash. Only the ones that most immediately compromise your safety are also programmed to give the sound alarm. That's a serious warning that you should be driving the car as little as possible to get it to a safe place where the codes can be read.

If too far from the dealer or anyone with a Prius-aware code reader, there is a way to request the trouble codes to blink out on the dash lights by jumpering two terminals (Tc and CG) on the diagnostic connector. There are many threads on PriusChat about how to do that. In that case, you will get one or more, two-digit codes ... these mostly correspond to the normal 5-position trouble codes, but in some cases several different trouble codes get the same two-digit version, so it does not pinpoint the problem quite as well, but it will point in the right direction.

Stay safe,
    -Chap

AllenZ likes this.
  3. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Very helpful! Thanks so much!
    Allen