1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very Interesting Article - American Fascism

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SteveS, Jun 28, 2006.

1. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?s...page=britt_23_2

I'd be interested to hear what some of the opinions on this board are.

Please, no jingoism ("whoever wrote this article - and YOU, SteveS - hate America, molest and then consume the flesh of children, and should leave if they don't like it"), standard right-wing defenses ("That guy is obviously a crazy liberal, who cares what he thinks", "Love it or leave it, donkey", "I'll kill you where you stand for questioning the integrity of the current regime"), or any other mindless right-wing idiocy.

Accordingly, please, no anti-Bush slogans or any other mindless left-wing idiocy.

For those of you who feel the need to attack me... just to get it out of the way in anticipation of the flames... I do not hate America, flags, puppies, or freedom, nor do I molest children, nor do I wish to see harm come upon this country, nor am I a craaazy liberal (I'm actually a very moderate Libertarian...), nor do I consume large quantities of drugs, nor do I think Bush is the antichrist, or any other crap.

Let's try to have a civilized discussion about this. Also, please actually read the article in full before commenting.

Thanks!
    Steve

2. wstander

wstander New Member

Okay, I read the article. I also did what I always do in an election; read the end credits and follow the money:

"Laurence Britt’s novel, June, 2004, depicts a future America dominated by right-wing extremists."

In defense of Mr. Britt, all that he noted can be attached to any government or regime at any time, including the UN and any of its minions.

Again, interesting read, although tainted by an agenda.

Thanks for posting

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You're asking for a lot for an article like this to not attract tempermental discussion!!

But let me start:
    1)Right wing Bush supporters will discount this as extremist left propaganda to scare the masses.
    2)Left wingers will identify each and every point as being identical to the Bush adminstration.
    3)The truth is, as so often it is, in the middle.

I wish that ardent Bush supporters and conservatives in general would read those points with an open mind and see the points where similarities exist and trends toward other similarities are developing. I wish that they'd say "Yea, maybe we need to slow down, maybe we're overreaching and getting into a precarious situation."

I wish that leftists would read it and identify with portions and see that other areas simply don't apply to our current situation. Women are not, in any significant way, oppressed in our society. Homosexuals probably are, but the trend is clearly away from more oppression IMO. Many of the other points have hints of what exists in the USA today, but clearly are not overt or dominate factors....Police are certainly not seen as all powerful for instance.

But I think those points should wake us up. We've been pretty reactionary since 9/11. Some time for reflection and planning with emphesis on maintaining what makes America the place we love would be great. But I think we're going to have to go about it backward...react first, correct and direct later.

4. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 28 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]278124[/snapback]</div>
    I don't necessarily think that the fact he wrote a novel invalidates his points or makes him a left-wing nut... Would you say the same thing if this novel was written by, say, George Orwell? Plus, the items and trends he notes can be easily verified historically and his list of references appears to be mostly originating from academia...

5. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 28 2006, 01:53 PM) [snapback]278126[/snapback]</div>
    I know I am... but, we're all adults and we should be able to have a civil discussion without screaming nonsense at each other.

Allow me to respond to your post:

Your numbered points are valid, and I must say that I agree with them. I share the same wish of both left and right... Obviously the degree of extremety of each point varies between regimes... Your point concerning oppression is valid to a degree - although I would dispute the degree to which homosexuals are oppressed (I think moreso than your statement implies) - but your point about police, I think, is less so... just witness the recent excesses of the NSA and other such agencies... I would say that "police" can obviously be expanded to represent "law enforcement in general". Police power can also be construed as other government powers not necessarily related with actual law enforcement, i.e. code enforcement

At any rate, I think that there are many things in our culture that meet these points (I'm speaking of the present, not the past, and there are many government programs and such that are very similar to things institututed in Fascist Italy), but I don't think we're quite at the "goosestepping down Constitution Ave." point... I think that my goal is more to cause a discussion about this and to perhaps point out that we're becoming more and more fascist each day - and if we're not careful, we very well may be a fascist country - if not in name, definitely by environment and culture.l

6. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SteveS @ Jun 28 2006, 11:05 AM) [snapback]278131[/snapback]</div>

Yes, if he used code words like 'right wing extremists'.

That colors any other perceptions that I may have gained elsewise. I do agree that some of the items noted, like the over-reacting to national security (not EVERYTHING is a dire issue), and the more recent examples concerning flag desecration are over the top. Homosexuals and women are not nearly as offically oppressed as some of them would have you believe, and I hope most can see through electioneering and pandering as what they are; attempts to get elected/reelected.

And, it is not new; that is another thing I will concede to the author, although we were far closer to an absolute dictatorship (however benign) under FDR.

I may have to reevaluate the article.

BTW: Did you read his book?

7. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 28 2006, 02:29 PM) [snapback]278139[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think that one's choice of vocabulary necessarily depicts their true motives. I'm a moderate libertarian (socially liberal (while maintaining sanity), fiscally conservative) and I use words like right-wing extremists, left-wing extremists...

Frankly, I think that, when discussing our present regime, use of anything other than "right-wing extremists" is inapt. These people are hurtling down a scary path towards totalitarianism and fascism faster than we realize... the fact that this regime is so secretive - not just with legitimate National Security issues, but with anything that will get people upset with them - gives me cause for great concern with regards to our progress down the road to fascism and totalitarianism. At the same time, I don't think that the current regime (like FDR) are necessarily ill-intentioned (obviously there are exceptions)... but recall that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Official oppression aside, the current regime does many quiet things (see this) that encourage oppression and while they don't openly speak of oppression... I think that a concerted effort to deny a set of civil rights to a group of people definitely qualifies as oppression.

While I can understand your comment regarding electioneering/gerrymandering, regardless of the intent, it is still unconscionable. We can't fall into the "blind parent" trap of ignoring the horrible things our "children" do just because they are "our children" - these people need to be held accountable and the law and the Constitution needs to be restored.

Concerning FDR... while movement towards Fascism has been taking place over the past 150 or so years... i.e. things that were done in the 19th Century to "save the union" are suspiciously protofascist... but you are right, the ball really started rolling under FDR...

Roughly, under FDR we moved towards fascism in terms of social programs (Fascist Italy had huge social programs, public works projects, etc), not to mention the rampant nationalism and repeated reelection of FDR)...
    In the 50s, we saw the Government become more and more hostile to external forces, and further consolidate internal power in the name of "National Security"...
    In the 60s and 70s, we saw the Government become more secrative than they were in the 50s to avoid protests and whatnot...
    Things progressed fairly slowly in the 80s and 90s, although we expanded on the doctrine of interventionalism and nation building, we seemed to be fairly stable (although there may be some definite examples of movement that don't come to my mind right now)... We even moved away from the corporate protectionalism of earlier times a little bit.
    In modern times, our Government has sharply swung back towards Corporate Protectionalism and has begun to heavily consolidate internal police powers.... nationalism has skyrocketed, and the incestual relationship between religion and government has obviously become more pronounced. Many more examples abound...

And no, I did not read his book.

8. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SteveS @ Jun 28 2006, 12:04 PM) [snapback]278153[/snapback]</div>
    I must assume you to be about 82 years old to have experienced all that you state :)

Sadly, i am but 57 and lived an apparently sheltered and uneducated life by comparison.

Can you cite examples of corporate protectionism, consolidation of police powers, and incestual relationship between religion and government?

Just because you or anyone proclaims some facet of life, that does not prove it true, no matter how you phrase the charge or quote a Human Rights Watch document.

9. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 28 2006, 03:19 PM) [snapback]278169[/snapback]</div>
    Obviously I'm not 82...

Corporate Protectionism: Refusal to pass net neutrality legistlation... Haliburton... protection of Diebold Election Machines even though their machines are heavily flawed and have no audit trail... tax breaks to Verizon to implement FIOS in a fraction of communities... allowing AT&T to reform... corporations can pretty much do whatever they want under this regime, man... examples abound...

Consolidation of police powers: Are you serious? Let's see... warrantless wiretapping, the recent no-knock ruling, the feds obtaining phone records without subpoenas, warrantless tracking of financial records, the Patriot Act, the DHS, the Jose Padilla fiasco, even more examples abound...

Incestual Relationship Between Religion and Government: Faith based initiatives, the FCC inflicting the morals of religious conservatives on the rest of us, the whole gay marriage ban thing, etc.

Anyone have any more examples? I'm siure there's a great number that I'm missing.

10. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 28 2006, 12:19 PM) [snapback]278169[/snapback]</div>
    Questions like this are like a passenger standing waist-deep in water on the deck of the sinking Titanic and asking, "Water? What water? Show me where there's water."

SteveS already listed most of what I could come up with off the top of my head; with not much effort many more specific examples could be culled from Google; but I have to wonder if such questions really aren't just a weak attempt at bluff because it's impossible to read a newspaper or magazine, or listen to radio news, or even watch TV news without seeing all these concrete examples and more in vivid, living color.

I don't know what's more frightening, Bush threatening criminal prosecution of a newspaper, or citizens applauding and encouraging such action.

Here's what scares me, in approximate rank from scariest to not scary at all (roughly consonant with what I perceive as most likely to least likely):

Contracting a fatal or crippling disease
    Death or crippling injury by accident (auto, bicycle, airplane, other, in that order)
    Freedom of speech curtailed by Bush cabal's continued assault on civil liberties
    Citizens' approval of same
    Citizens' fear of terrorism deliberately inflamed and exploited to disable the constitution
    Bush cabal amends constitution to retain its power permanently
    Abrupt collapse of US economy due to Bush cabal's fiscal irresponsibility
    Arrest for dissent, magazines I subscribe to, etc.
    Nuclear holocaust initiated by Bush cabal in some pre-emptive adventure
    Some other cataclysmic holocaust initiated by Bush cabal in some pre-emptive adventure
    Loss of home and/or job to political upheaval caused by Bush cabal
    Loss of home to earthquake
    Loss of job
    Loss of a family member or a friend
    Loss of home to condemnation laws upheld to favor developers
    Getting bit by a dog
    Loss due to robbery of some kind
    Getting bit by an escaped walrus
    Getting bit in half by an escaped cloned tyrannosaurus
    Death or injury by terrorist act

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

11. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 28 2006, 08:08 PM) [snapback]278314[/snapback]</div>
    Some agreement :) I also mostly agree with your list.

Let's face it people.. Northern Ireland and Israel are prime examples of how police states don't protect from terrorists... and frankly, all the brewhaha over the NYT's disclosure of the financial tracking program... If any terrorist were so stupid to think that they weren't being watched, then perhaps it's time to consider a different career...

While this program isn't as abashedly "f**k the Constitution" as, say, the wiretapping one... where is the enabling legislation? Where is the protection for citizens? Where is the legal authority to gather this information on citizens? This is a huge fishing expedition and I don't believe it's legal.

Of course, not to mention that identity theft is a HUGE problem in this country, and how long is it before someone's little old grandmother is thrown into Gitmo because someone stole her identitity and funneled money to Al Qaeda through an account opened with their information? Holy s**t, if someone commits a crime using your name and SSN in this country it can take years to sort it out...

"I think that the tracking of the financing of terrorism trumps most things," Senate banking committee Chairman Richard Shelby, R-Ala., said.

Like the Constitution? Like our freedoms? Come on, people - wake the f**k up. Once you give power to the Government, it very rarely gives it back... and considering this war looks like it's going to go on forever (at least until we don't care about muslim countries anymore because there's no more oil and we leave and they're happy), when exactly are we going to get our freedoms back?

How can we just sit here and buy the "We had to destroy the village to save it" defense? If we sacrifice everything we claim to stand for, all of our freedoms, then what's left to defend?

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's interesting that you would choose that article.

Here are some others.

Definition of Fascism

And another checklist:
    "1.Instability of capitalist relationships or markets

2.The existence of considerable declassed social elements

3.The stripping of rights and wealth focused upon a specific segment of the population, specifically the middle class and intellectuals within urban areas as this is the group with the means, intelligence and ability to stop fascism if given the opportunity.

4.Discontent among the rural lower middle class (clerks, secretaries, white collar labor). Consistent discontent among the general middle and lower middle classes against the oppressing upper-classes (haves vs have-nots).

5.Hate: Pronounced, perpetuated and accepted public disdain of a specific group defined by race, origin, theology or association. (How often have you heard the words "Homo", "Gay" or "Liberal" used in such a manner?)

6.Greed: The motivator of fascism, which is generally associated with land, space or scarce resources in the possession of those being oppressed.

7.Organized Propaganda:

a) The creation of social mythology that venerates (creates saints of) one element of society while concurrently vilifying (dehumanizing) another element of the population through misinformation, misdirection and the obscuring of factual matter through removal, destruction or social humiliation, (name-calling, false accusations, belittling and threats).
    Homosexuals
    Liberals

B) The squelching of public debate not agreeing with the popular agenda via slander, libel, threats, theft, destruction, historical revisionism and social humiliation. Journalists in particular are terrorized if they attempt to publish stories contrary to the agenda."

It's the Corporate State, Stupid.

While sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they still aren't out to get you.

Here are the fourteen points taken to extreme...or supported....depending on your point of view.

Fourteen points

And remember....it's only the lowly unwashed that live in a Fascist state...the Fascists themselves live in a Democracy.

13. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wstander @ Jun 28 2006, 01:49 PM) [snapback]278124[/snapback]</div>
    Instead of following the money so that you can ignore what is said, it's more constructive to analyse the argument and determine its validity. One example is kids who ignore their parents admonitions not to smoke, because it's harmful to them, because the parents smoke. Saying that your parents' argument is invalid because they smoke is illogical and, in itself, invalid. It's an error in reasoning called 'ad hominem' and deciding that an argument is invalid because you've followed the money and the trail leads to someone whose agenda is supported by it doesn't mean that their argument is invalid. The insurance industry telling you that not wearing a helmet when riding a motorcycle is dangerous may be in the best interests of the insurance industry but it's also true.

America is scared sh*tless and when we're afraid, we lash out, we react without thinking while drawing inward and develop a deep xenophobia. As the character in MiB put it "A person is smart. People are dumb, dangerous, panicky animals and you know it." When we're as afraid as we are, fascisim is a landmine that we have to watch out for. The obvious inclination for people who, shall we say, lean to the right, to believe that when comparisons are made between America today and Germany in the 1930s that it's an attack on the current American administration is missing the mark. The actual comparison is between two countries who face or faced crises of moral and ethical dilemma because trepidation on a national level will lead to fascism. The current leader of the U.S. isn't Hitler and, hopefully, the U.S. won't make the same mistakes that Germany did when it succumbed to the siren song of fascism. So far, America has been reacting first and thinking later.

14. SteveS

SteveS New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jun 29 2006, 04:06 AM) [snapback]278493[/snapback]</div>

Just curious, why interesting that I chose that article? I just kinda stumbled upon it...

While some of the items in http://www.oldamericancentury.org/14pts.htm may be extreme, in general I think it's a relatively good list...

Your additional points, I think, are a good addition - they seem to be a little less academic than the article I chose.

I can't believe that a topic as inflammatory as this has almost no replies... Where are all the people on the board who rigorously defend the right and vehemently attack anyone who dares to dissent?

Come on... does the "no ad-hominem attacks, no hate speech" requirement restrict your available arguments too much? I want real discussion on this, otherwise I wouldn't have posted it! I don't just want people who agree with the article to post - I want people who think the opposite!

15. wstander

wstander New Member

If all that you state is teue concerning the Fascism in the USA, why have'nt the majority of those commenting in PriusChat's FHOP been rounded up and sent to Gitmo?

Surely, 'W's goosesteppers have noted your seditious comments and of course, knows your addresses, telephones, blood-type, DNA markers, and the last time you had non-missionary sex.
    Dick Cheney is just waiting to drill your backyard for more oil while loading more deleted uranium rounds in to his rifle.

Oh, in my commute through 4 cities today, I was stopped, cavity-searched, and required to show my 'papers' at each 'checkpoint'. How was your commute, similar?

16. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    B/C that's not how it works. Not one big sudden change. Anything that overt would be rebelled against.

But it's the insidious changes, step by step. We initially are taken aback then 'sincerely' reassured that it's all being done for our own good or that the things we think were changed have actually been that way all along, we just didn't realize it.

Have you read Orwell's Animal Farm? If not, you should. Prime example of how the initially well intentioned can become drunk on their own power and insideously revise the rules and laws of the "world" until they become as bad or worse than those they intially rebelled against. In many ways we are becoming what we claim to be against. Not suddenly, not overtly, but step-by-step, little-by-little our philosophies, laws, morals and values are shifting in a direction I think will only be regretted in coming decades.

Fortunately, there are still some checks and balances...Thank goodness the Supreme Court had the sense to recognize and stand up against the unconstitutional way we're dealing with the 'enemy combatants'/POWs--another Bush administration 'invention' to avoid international and US laws.

"Four legs good, two legs bad....except......"

17. airportkid

airportkid Will Fly For Food

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 29 2006, 09:21 AM) [snapback]278621[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you sir, you beat me to it.

We too often, in looking at the atrocities of history, look only at the extremes and naturally wonder how some portion of mankind could bring itself to commit such obvious evil. But such obvious evil was never initiated full blown out of nothing; the social contexts that made such evils possible crept up over years, one small change at a time.

What we should pay attention to is first recognizing and then resisting what steps lead to the abyss; these steps are often subtle, always controversial, and never clear cut, else we wouldn't take them. We should not, for example, show only films of the aftermath of the Nazi holocaust (other than to show the extremes that we can reach), but should show instead the far more significant cultural and legal steps that, rule by rule, led an enlightened and advanced civilized society ultimately over the edge.

The articles that started this thread and others added on are exactly that: a pointing out of some of the steps the lead societies to disaster - and we should pay close attention.

Mark Baird
    Alameda CA

18. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The fall of the Roman Empire is probably the greatest possible example of how a great society can fall. It becomes full of itself, complacent, those in power become drunk on that power and begin ignoring the needs and lives of the lower classes. It doesn't happen overnight, but, as in the case of the Roman empire, took many decades and even centuries for the process and fall to be completed. But if one reviews the history it's fall was inevitable from very early on...small changes, small sequences of events turning the attitudes of both its own populus and the rest of the world truely became irreversible.

I truely fear our country is on a similar path, though much earlier in the process and probably at a point that the process can, over the course of a few decades, be reversed. But it will require a change in attitude of those who are complacently trusting of the government and will require powerful forward thinking leaders. And....the hardest part....it will require Americans to take risks and accept some changes that may not be so comfortable to our immediate needs, but will likely lead to an America that our forefathers imagined that our children and grand children and great grand children can enjoy.
    --evan

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(airportkid @ Jun 29 2006, 12:51 PM) [snapback]278680[/snapback]</div>

19. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 29 2006, 01:20 PM) [snapback]278696[/snapback]</div>
    Historically, all hegemonies have come to an end. There is no guarantee that United states's hegemony will last forever. In fact, history says that odds are against this. Who will take her place? Probably no one individual nation, but Chindia comes to mind and Russia/Canada will become dominant suppliers of energy when global warming makes their countries habitable.

Would it be a great shame if our great grand children could no longer make the claim that they live in the most powerful country in the world? Ask the Romans and Germans and the British. It's probably no big deal.

20. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, but I'm not willing to passively surrender to the vaguarities of destiny. I like to think that I spent all those boring hours in history class for good reason...to learn from the mistakes of the past and to try to build a better world than those that preceeded us. The Roman empire gives a good example of what is possible, but we need to learn to not overreach our boundries as they did. We need to learn to not become complacent and self-rightous in our comfortable little world. And we need to be cautious not to self destruct by means of sabotaging our own basic principles for the sake of a temporary sense of safety.

I think we're starting to make mistakes on all 3 of those fronts that could lead to our eventual 'end' if not rapidly and aggresively addressed.

Note that I'm NOT saying that change and adaptation are bad...totally to the contrary. I think adapation is absolutely necessary, but one must stay true to the basic principles that we were founded upon or there will be no cohesive direction to those changes. Increasing entropy will ensue and eventually complete breakdown leaving us vulnerable to both internal and external powers to take over...probably for the worse but we'll grasp at anything offering a sense of stability and the impression of security.