1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very long brakes. Just brake pads or Regen system?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by packtlikesardines, Nov 4, 2017.

1. packtlikesardines

packtlikesardines New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi there,

I test drove a used 2007 Prius today and although it has 198k miles on it, it's in very good condition. The only thing that was bad was the brakes. They were extremely long. If you let go just the slightest bit then the car would begin to move forward. Is this just a brake pad job or is there something wrong with the regen brake system? If it's the regen system then I might have to opt for another car.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could you better describe what you mean? Is the brake pedal travel too far down, and a very slight release causes the car to start creeping forward?

If so, then this is not related to regen. The regen system doesn't operate at all below speeds of about 7 mph.

Long brake pedal travel also seems unlikely to be related to the brake pad wear, but instead something in the hydraulics in between. But most of these issues ought to be called out by brake warning lights on the dashboard.

3. RonMc5

RonMc5 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unless you put the brakes on more firmly, the Prius (I had a 2007 that I gave to my #2 grandson) simulates an automatic transmission by sending a bit of energy to the traction motor while the brakes are applied lightly. If you look at the graphic that displays where the energy is going, you can see the creep forward current go away when you press the pedal more firmly*. If you have driven a car with an auto tranny, it too creeps forward if you release the brakes slightly. My 2007, 2016 and 2017 Prime all behave like that. It is in the design. :) P.S. the brake pads last a very long time in most hybrids due to the regenerative braking taking the place of much of the friction braking!

*I press more firmly on the brake to stop this current to extend my battery mileage. When I release the brake, the creep current returns assisting better starts after a stop.

4. packtlikesardines

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Yes, it's exactly that issue. There's a brake light on but I couldn't check it with my OBD scanner so I've asked the seller to get the codes scanned at a firestone. Are the hydraulics a tricky or expensive fix?

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is not a simple brake pad issue, as worn pads don't trigger a warning light. It is more likely a failed power brake system, the car is now on the manual (non-power) backup brake system.

I haven't had to deal with Prius brake problems, but there are some very expensive parts in there.

Don't buy it until after the seller fixes it.

#5 fuzzy1, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
  6. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Can be from simple to expensive depending on what codes are set, and why.

If the Firestone OBD scanner doesn't get the brake/abs/vsc codes either, there is a way to poll them with a short length of wire, counting light blinks. Other threads here have the low down.

What the codes mean and what to do about them is best looked up in the repair manual, which might cost you or the seller $15 over at techinfo.toyota.com. Depends on how much you want to know before buying it. If you do owning it, knowing where to find the repair manual may be advantageous.

-Chap

packtlikesardines likes this.
  7. packtlikesardines

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Can you point me in the right direction? Can't seem to find the threads you're talking about.

8. packtlikesardines

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Thank you. You might just be saving me a bunch of money. It looks like an expensive fix so I'm gonna make sure it's all squared before I purchase it. Any idea if it might be anything else?