1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very long drive today into wind

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jkash, Feb 20, 2005.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife and I took a very long drive today from LA to Capitola and back. The drive there was great. I averaged close to 52 mpg. On the way home, the wind was blowing pretty hard right at us for all of the 350 or so miles. My mileage dropped to 44 mpg. I had heard that wind could really make a difference, but had never seen it myself before. We took the same drive a few months ago and I got 48 on the way there and 52 on the way back with very little wind.

The car performed wonderfully, and the navigation really helps us be less stressed out on long drives. My new display worked fine with no problems.

Nice to see PriusChat back up and running, and I'll add my two cents for the speed of last nights version over the style of tonight.

2. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

Wow This is the most Aerodynamic car on the market with a Cd of 0.26
    Can only imagine how much all of the other cars and Trucks gas mileage dropped.

3. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unfortunately, you are not a Lexus Master Technician. :)
    The Lexus LS430 achieves 0.25 Cd with air suspension version.

Regards,
    Ken@Japan

4. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

Two or three other cars, including a small Audi not sold in the US, have a 0.25 CD.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Insight is another

6. Kyle Pehrson

Kyle Pehrson Member

I was sure I was going to be corrected on that one. Thanks for the correction Good to know someone is reading my post.
    Thanks for all the support

7. Hatfield

Hatfield New Member

As I recall, Cd is not the full story. I think you have to multiply Cd (coefficient of drag) with frontal area to get the true wind resistance. So, even though the Prius has a low Cd, it does have a large frontal area.

This is what I recall from reading R&T religiously when I was a kid. I'll have to Google around and see if I can find a decent reference on this.

8. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    That's exactly right. But the Prius's frontal area isn't that large - I did some calculations, and according to a Cd x area calculation, the Prius has the lowest absolute drag of any car I've owned, even the smaller ones.