1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very low gas mileage in hot weather?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by michelle_mcd, Jun 25, 2005.

1. michelle_mcd

michelle_mcd New Member

My Prius has 5k miles and recently had a couple of days commute -- in traffic -- with extremely low gas mileage e.g. entirely below 25 with some 5 minute periods falling almost to zero (commute normally ranges 40-60 mpg and even 99 for some segments). The AC happened to be on at the time and it was high 80s to low 90s outside.

Same thing happened today while stuck in traffic in hot weather with the AC on -- I checked the battery level and it had fallen really low into the pink/red zone.

What's going on?

2. bookrats

bookrats New Member

Question: Is this a 2001-2003 model Prius, or the redesigned 2004-2005 Prius?

3. michelle_mcd

michelle_mcd New Member

It's a 2005 -- got it in December.

One other thing is that I got the oil changed about 2 weeks ago at 6 mo/5k and shortly after getting it back the check engine light came on...but then it went off again after a day or two. Don't know if that's connected.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:d3299dcf4c]There are several threads relating temperature/heater/AC use. Your MPG will go down if you are heating or cooling the cabin. Your MPG will go down if it is very cold and the ICE is trying to stay warm for low emissions. Your MPG will go up if it is warm and you're not using the AC.

At 5K miles I'm pretty sure you have a 2005 edition. The AC runs off the HV Traction battery. Don't worry about the battery getting pink bars, the ICE will start to charge the battery before any damage to the Traction battery can occur, as long as you're not in Neutral. No charging takes place in N.

Also, I wouldn't worry too much about instantaneous or five-minute MPG. You are still doing better than most other cars.

Check your oil level; an over-full crankcase can rob MPG. If the Check Engine light comes on, have the dealer check the engine...[/font:d3299dcf4c]

5. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:0753e5e817]By the way Michelle, I have a Silver Cloud, not a black one. That tag in your signature is annoying.[/font:0753e5e817]

6. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  7. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:bd506e0605]Hi SDiego. Look at Michelle's signature line. It says you have a black one. And my message looked like it was addressed to you.

There's a BBC tag "]you[" (with the brackets going the other way) that substitutes the reader's name.

I do not have a Black Beauty, I have a Silver Cloud, no matter what Michelle asserts. [/font:bd506e0605]

8. SDiego

SDiego New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well I don't know how all this got started, but you know what color your car is and of course mine is white. Love the Comfortreds by the way. I took your advice.

9. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

Hey Bill,

Pardon my ignorance but I was not aware that I was including a signature, let alone a tag! What have I done to do this and how do I get rid of it. Sorry if I offended anyone. Didn't even know I was including a signature. (Don't you just hate these ignorant newbies to chat rooms?!)

Sorry,

Dan

10. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:1c971e13b4]Dan, it doesn't look like you have a signature. If you click the "Profile" button at the top of the page, you can add one. My Signature consists of my name and email address. You can attach your signature to a message by checking the "Attach signature" box.

This is getting a little out of hand. Michelle, who started this thread, has a signature that looks to me like:[/font:1c971e13b4]

[hr:1c971e13b4]
    Bill Merchant ~~~ Proud parent of a black 2005 #6

[font=Comic Sans MS:1c971e13b4]To you, it looks like:[/font:1c971e13b4]

[hr:1c971e13b4]
    bandgeek ~~~ Proud parent of a black 2005 #6

[font=Comic Sans MS:1c971e13b4]Michelle uses the BBC tag I mentioned above in here signature. I was responding to her question about low MPG in hot weather and then complained (whined?) that I drive a Silver Cloud, not a black 2005 #6. Silver doesn't absorb as much solar radiation as black.

When you don't have experience, you make mistakes. When you make mistakes, you gain experience.[/font:1c971e13b4]

11. Armature

Armature New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    What tag?

What tag, Bill. I don't use a signature....

???

12. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Bill, She's not the original SeaSalsa. Think I should sue her? She is giving me a bad name!

Seriously, I see the tag on her posts but it does not mention you?

13. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:55b861de0e]I apologize to you, [you], if you thought I was complaining about your signature line. Everyone who reads this message will see their name in the first sentence since I used the BBC [ you ] tag, without the spaces. I would encourage everyone to avoid the use of this tag. Unless it's in a phrase like "You're a really swell person, [you]!"[/font:55b861de0e]

14. tag

tag Senior Member

Yes, please stop USING me. Thanks! :p

15. Bill Merchant

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:098b101336]My apologies to [ you ]. :mrgreen:[/font:098b101336]

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    how would we be entertained if the y o u tag stopped being used?

17. michelle_mcd

michelle_mcd New Member

Sorry for the controversy sparked by my little tag mistake (which I was of course completely unaware of and don't recall using that tag when creating my signature -- but whatever) -- Bill, you could be a bit more sensitive to us newbies than to call us "annoying." :cry:

Oh yeah, and thanks for the answer to my post.

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    but we love the you tag. It gets everyone's attention and confuses us and makes for funny threads :p

19. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There is something seriously wrong with your car. Even in 105+ temperatures, trapped in gridlock on the Las Vegas Strip, I've never seen our Prius get less than 40mpg. The fact that your check engine light came on makes me think you should get your car checked out at the dealer.

Bill needs to lighten up, and [you] too, they both take this way too seriously.

20. Armature

Armature New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Bill? Who's Bill? I was talking to [you]....