1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very Sad Day For Me.. My (meticulously pampered) Prius was hit...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Veloist, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Veloist

Veloist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hi everyone. Like the title states today was a very sad day for me. My family's 2012 Prius 5, which we've had for 7 months, was damaged today. ​
    It just hit the 3,000-mile mark.​
    [​IMG]

This morning I went into my garage before leaving for school and, like always, admired how beautiful and clean the Prius was especially because its Blizzard Pearl.​
    I detail all my cars, and the Prius was the first car I detailed out of a dealership, without the dealership touching it at all (except for PDI). I was the first one in its whole life to wash it. Thus, I grew really attached to this Prius.​
    I made sure to wax it every 3 months​
    [​IMG]
    And I was committed to making it one of the cleanest Prius on the road, even cleaning interior of rims and wheel well.​
    [​IMG]
    I took my time cleaning it, using three different buckets and three mitts, and tried my best to minimize swirl marks as much as possible, gently drying it with a chamois and quick detailer for lubrication. ​
    I took pictures almost every time I washed it because I always wanted to share how beautiful a Prius can be to my friends and family on Facebook.​
    [​IMG]
    But...no matter how much you love your car, no matter how much you take care of it, no matter how carefully you drive, it only takes ONE inattentive driver to ruin all that you did.​
    I loved this car so much, that it was heartbreaking seeing it so "wrecked." I know this might be minor to most of you, but this is the first time I've experienced a damaged up car since 1996 ( I was only 3). ​
    [​IMG]
    My mom was taking my younger brother to school and a woman pulled out from a curb as my mom was driving by. Nobody was hurt except the car...I'm glad my family members and the other party members are safe, but I'm just so devastated at the damage. Driving it, cleaning it, detailing it, even looking at it will never be the same even after repairs.​
    [​IMG]
    My whole family is sad because it was our family car, we always took it on special events, we took it to Church a lot, and there's just always a positive vibe around this Prius. ​
    [​IMG]
    So everyone be careful when you drive, don't forget to do the little things, like checking over your shoulder, scanning all your mirrors, using your turn signals, etc. It has certainly woke me up to drive more carefully. I would be really guilty and hate to be in an accident with somebody in my shoes, that's for sure. ​
    I'm hoping the body shop (which is pretty reputable) will be able to match the Blizzard Pearl. I really love the effect but I've heard that it is a very difficult color to match...​

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :(

Ah, that will buff right out. kidding. At least nobody was hurt bad. I am sure the shop will fix it right up, but I know it is hard to get over it.

Veloist likes this.
  3. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, bad things happen. It's always upsetting to have things like that in a brand new car under a year. I've been there too.

Veloist likes this.
  4. ProphetsOfDoom

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    :eek: I feel ya. I detail mine every weekend and i actually look forward to the weekends because of it. I however have a 100 mile commute to work everyday so it's a little harder to keep clean throughout the week and I've already racked up well over 5k miles in a little over two months of owning it. I'm always thinking about how pissed i would be if someone else damaged it given all the time i spend trying to keep it looking nice. I've even had three complete strangers compliment me on the car... one asked if it was a "show car" o_O.

anyway... i feel your pain and best of luck at the body shop!

Veloist likes this.
  5. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The center cannot hold.
    The nature of the existence is deterioration either incremental and slow, or rapid or countless degrees in between.

Take this as simply a message from the universe. All the wax, protectants and detailing spray and armies of separate buckets and mitts cannot stop this truth.

Sooner or later something happens. Sooner or later, a rock flys up from a tire, or a passing bird decides that aerodynamic blizzard pearl shape looks like a good place to drop a bomb.

Not that your fight isn't valid and noble. It's much the same fight I continue today. I also make offerings to the car protection and appearance gods. I own the buckets, mitts and products that promise that your vehicle will remain looking brand new. I don't have a garage, and I take too much pride in the fact that often my vehicle is mistaken for new or near brand new.

But despite what Meguiars, Turtle Wax, Zaino, or any other well marketed product might want you to believe? It's ultimately a losing battle.

I think the trick? Keep fighting it. But when the inevitable ding or chip happens, and it will happen. Instead of thinking of it as weakness or flaw....take it as a well earned battle scar.

To the casual observer, or even someone looking very, very closely, my vehicle usually looks way ahead of the curve. But I know where that 1 pebble sized ding is....nobody else would even notice it. Once it would of bothered me, but now? I do the very best I can, and any wounds that happen....only make me stronger.

If your bodyshop is good? You should be able to look back at this as simply one small chapter in the life of your Prius. Perfection is unattainable....and highly overrated IMO.

Much More Better, Merkey and Veloist like this.
  6. spiritar

spiritar New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's fortunate you took so many pictures. You can clearly show how straight the sheet metal was before the accident, and expect it to be the same after repairs. In addition, take a lot of care to ensure the body shop is expert at exact paint matches. For someone like you, a mismatch will stand out like a sore thumb. If they get the match right, and a new bumper, and get the paint and "metal" smooth, the knowledge it has bondo will eventually ease off.

Another suggestion is when you have a setback like this, try to come out ahead. Get something for the car you'd like but otherwise would not have changed. Like a Scangauge?

lensovet and Veloist like this.
  7. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sorry to hear/see that. Good news is nobody was injured. It's only a car--find a good body shop and leave it in their hands.

Veloist likes this.
  8. mnml

mnml Ain't nobody got time for that.

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a bummer, sorry about your incident. Hopefully the shop can repair her back to pristine condition.

Veloist likes this.
  9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    What a bummer ! Sorry to hear.

I remember when mine was first new and the first new car I had bought for myself in years. I remember thinking that it would be my luck for someone to hit my new car after driving 10+ year old vehicles:)

Veloist likes this.
  10. OceanEyes

OceanEyes Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry to hear about the accident - glad no one was hurt and may the body shop get your baby back in shape to you very soon.

Veloist likes this.
  11. Me Here

Me Here Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If I may offer up what I've learned in the not at fault accidents I've been in, if you want to check the paint, make sure it's a sunny day and just how you took those side pictures, look at it from the headlight on and the taillight on. Paint can look immaculate, but from that view you can see if it's "runny" looking.
    Also if you're not at fault in the accident, the other parties insurance company should be rewarding you some money for Diminished Value. It wouldn't be much, maybe 1K, but still something. If you were to try and sell that Prius next to an identical one that wasn't in a previous accident, no matter how much wax you used, which one do you think they'd buy? For the same price, the one that hasn't been in an accident.
    Manufacture paint is baked on at a much higher temp. than a body shop; my personal opinion is that manufacture paint will fade and chip over time (10 years +) but body shop paint will do it quicker. I too have a blizzard pearl Prius and due to the nature of the accident 90% of it needed to be repainted or blended. If I come across anything that may of help to you while I'm dealing with my own Prius that's being repaired I'll let you know! Good luck!

SJ PiP, OceanEyes and Veloist like this.
  12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When you get it back it will be as good as new.

Veloist likes this.
  13. Veloist

Veloist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks so much it's really nice to know there's people who understand me. It's so unreal how I worried about swirl marks and other paint imperfections, and now this...it doesn't get any worst then an unstraightened body panel. I wish you good luck that you will never have to experience what happened to my car, and best of luck keeping your car super pristine; I saw your pics...even through pictures your car really does look like a show car :)

Thank you so much for taking your time to write an excessively encouraging message! I'm really taking your perspective of looking at the whole thing as a battle that I have lost--I can see the figurative truth behind it, thank you for such a wonderful point. This is definitely going to be one concealed yet nasty battle scar forever, but I love my car and I will still treat it the same way, if not, even better.

Thank you to all who replied, it's great to know people can understand me. When I briefly tweeted my feelings on Twitter, someone told me to get over it, it's nbd, because it's just a possession. They said something like "you shouldn't be that attached to a car." I know it's just a car but the attachment just came naturally because the Prius was a car I've always wanted since Junior year of High School (I'm 19) because of the statement it makes and because of its iconic aspect from Toyota, who I will forever be a loyal customer of. I'm so happy it's our family car.

My body shop has a good reputation and they use OEM parts. Crossing my fingers for a good paint job still because I can really see the difference. Right now our poor Prius is just sitting out there in the driveway. I hate looking at it in its condition, because whenever I do look at it I'm always admiring how shiny and clean and beautiful the Blizzard Pearl paint is...can't do that with the horrible painful blemish now...

thanks again everyone.

Merkey, OceanEyes and The Electric Me like this.
  14. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    5000 mark and just got rear ended... Feel your pain. 100% other driver's fault

15. SJ PiP

SJ PiP Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    What body shop? My dealer recommended German Auto Body in Santa Clara

16. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To the original poster and PiP owner above, I hope they repaired your car perfectly, with genuine Toyota parts and that the paint repair is so good that for the life of the car you cannot tell it was ever hit.

Good job for being such a good ambassador with your Prius Five car.

17. dbcassidy

dbcassidy Toyota Hybrid Nation, 8 Million Strong

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Prius can be fixed - an inconvience having it in the body shop.

The driver / occupants injured - more serious.

Count your blessings, it could of been a lot worst.

DBCassidy

18. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oye, I feel your pain. I have damage from a hit and run on the left rear portion (bumper and wheel well). I hope it does get fixed properly. I've never seen a vehicle that came back from a body shop that ever functioned like one from the factory (from a misaligned door on the Camry to poorly fitted rear taillamps on our 2005 Prius. They've even butchered up the SKS hatch release! We had to take it back and get it fixed. Jeez).

19. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the DMV will know about the crash and it will go on Carfax record thereby lowering value of the car.

Citations are given out for speeders, red light runners, etc, when no accident happens. In this case, other person's insurance will likely go up, but they ought to be cited, fined and also be required to complete at least a dozen hour or so online or in person driver training course at their expense.

I had to complete a 50+ driver online training course that took 12 hours reading over several days to complete. Cost me $17 and bunch of time ... just to get a $51 / year insurance premium reduction.

The guilty driver needs to relearn a lot about safety, not just get a little slap on the wrist like, that's ok, you had a bad moment.

Me Here likes this.
  20. Miata Racer

Miata Racer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    The only "good news" is that the entire passenger side will need to be painted, so matching paint should be much better/easier. It's much worse when they only paint say one fender and one door, and "blend" it - you can often still tell, especially with pearls and metallics (silver is the worst). Choose a shop with a great reputation and you probably won't be able to tell where the repairs were.