1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Very unusual sound at startup

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by eseerc, May 21, 2013.

1. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Good Morning,

Yesterday morning, my 2010 had a very strange noise happen at startup. I'll preface this by saying that it was very early in the morning and I wasn't quite 100% awake, so the exact chain of events are a little foggy to me.

It was about 65 degrees when I went to start the vehicle in the morning. I noticed it was pretty humid out and the first humid morning of the year (I live in central PA). When I hit the power button, a very loud noise came from the engine area. It sounded like metal grinding and the motor having difficulty idling. I depressed the brake to attempt to put the vehicle in drive and the yellow "!" indicator light came on with a message on the on board display (i cant remember what it said). I shut the vehicle down and after a few seconds hit the button again..... same thing. This time, the idling and "grinding-like" noise went away and then the car seemed 100% normal. I noticed there was a little bit of blue smoke coming out of the exhaust while it was idling/grinding roughly.

Perhaps not the smartest thing to do, but I left for work and the vehicle has worked 100% fine since the mishap yesterday morning. In total, I have driven about 150 miles since the issue with no problems.

I read a sticky post concerning a service bulletin for engine knocking at start-up but what i heard seemed to be more than knocking and it was well above 40 degrees.

Any ideas as to what could have caused this? I'm questioning myself whether i attempted to drive with the parking break on but I honestly cant quite remember what happened.

Thank you for any input.

2. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    From what you describe, you experienced the problem addressed by the TSB you referenced in your post. Having the TSB performed should prevent that from happening in the future.

If the car was quickly started then shut off, followed by the humid conditions the next morning when you started it again, you may experience this. I would at least report this to your dealer and have it documented so you can take advantage of the TSB, if not now, then at a later date.

3. eseerc

eseerc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, I am definitely going to contact my local dealer for service. I wish I could better recall what the sound was, but it seemed to be more of a "metal on metal" grinding noise.

Would the mentioned TSB also cause the blue smoke?

4. Eclipse1701d

Eclipse1701d Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I'm not a mechanic. The best I can describe it is that left over fuel in the intake manifold causes that condition when humid and on the cold side. If someone is more mechanically inclined, please feel free to better describe/correct what I said... The TSB replaces the part, whch is supposed to be redesigned to prevent that from happening...