1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

very very poor milage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by fearless, Aug 7, 2007.

1. fearless

fearless New Member

i have a 2006 prius and i just returned from a very long road trip. i am down to 36.6 no matter how i drive it. on the hiway the current never says over 35. i drove a long stretch at 65 and then another at 85 and the milage was never more than 1mpg different. i am also figuring using my reciept and calc and its almost dead on.

we also experience extreme heat comming out of below the rear seat when driving a long distance. any ideas anyone?

Matt

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many miles on the car?
    Have you checked/confirmed your tire pressure?
    Have you made sure you don't accidently have the defroster on.
    What temperture do you have the A/C set on?
    Have you checked your engine oil level to make sure it's not over full?
    Do you have prior tanks that were better and this is a sudden change?
    Have you checked to make sure the emergency/parking brake isn't on or partly depressed?
    What kind of load did you have in the car for the trip?
    Did you hit the "reset" button after your last fill up so you can see the individual tank mpg rather than the lifetime MPG?
    Have you tried a long drive (30-40 miles) at a steady speed such as 45mph?

3. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fearless @ Aug 7 2007, 02:22 PM) [snapback]491962[/snapback]</div>
    That's not a good sign. Is it possible that the heat is coming from the HV battery behind the rear seat?
    How hot is "extreme heat"?

4. fearless

fearless New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 7 2007, 02:36 PM) [snapback]491973[/snapback]</div>
    brand new tires within 5000 miles, will check again.....
    def was off
    ac on low and off, very little difference
    did the oil change myself, its 5000 miles into a 7000 miles interval with valv full synthetic (first round of it)
    yes and no, had one tank of premium make 47.... still not impressed
    ill check parking brake again......... i doubt it
    load was kinda full, 2 computers and 3 ppl
    yes, reset hit every new tank.... cant get over 300 out of a tank!
    jesus, i cant go anywhere at 45 here........ mom drives it 90 miles to work at 65-70. i drive interstate at 78

Matt

extreme heat = heat equal to heater on...... the tech said the same thing. it goes in for a check up tomorrow and i told them there is no way in hell im paying to have someone tell me everything is fine. i met with a lady in a rest stop in mn and she was running right with me getting 53 when i was reading 44. i was pissed

Matt

5. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I chose to ignore the "heat" comment thinking that there would have been an MIL/CEL come on if the HV batt temp exceeded any 'normal' range. Also, there are no vents under the back seat, so I assume the heat they felt must've been coming from the vents under the front seat and, thus, the AC and not the HV batt.....Hence my comment on the defrost.

Matt, can you clarify where the heat is actually coming from?

The new tires may be part of the problem...esp. if the pressure is low. Try running 42f/40r. Once the tires break in the mpg should improve some.

If you do your own maintenence have you been sure to use new/clean air filter?

And you're telling me you live in Kansas and can't find somewhere to do a test drive at 45mph? Sorry, I find that hard to believe.

Final question would by why you waited 56k miles to have it checked or to ask for help...I'd have been crazy with a LMPG below 45 by 10k miles.

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What gear do you drive in: D or B?

Do you keep the cabin hot or do you use the A/C? If so, what's it set at?

Anything over 87 octane fuel is a complete waste at low altitudes.

7. fearless

fearless New Member

the reason the 45mpg comment was made was because the car never drives that speed so i think its dumb. the heat is comming from under the seat inbetween it and the backrest of the seat.

yes, air filters are installed new if needed. this car is barely over a year old and it has 56k so we dont need a new air filter every time

i am running valv synthetic, so now oil changes are ever 7k

Matt

8. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Aug 7 2007, 02:56 PM) [snapback]491988[/snapback]</div>
    Very true. If the heat is about as hot as a heater, there's a real possibility that hot air is blowing through the vents under the front seats and come up toward the rear passenger. In that case I would also check whether the A/C or Fan is set to the Feet position.

9. Bob64

Bob64 Sapphire of the Blue Sky

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you tried using cruise control on the highways? Try setting cruise control to 70 and drive with that and report back the round-trip mpg.

10. zenMachine

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fearless @ Aug 7 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]491996[/snapback]</div>
    Can you remove the rear seat to doublecheck? It's very easy to do.
    There are two hooks in the middle of each seat section. Pull straight up and it'll pop out.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fearless @ Aug 7 2007, 03:13 PM) [snapback]491996[/snapback]</div>
    While you may think it's dumb I think it's important. If your car gets 55mpg when you take it on a 30 mile 45mph drive then I'm going to tend to believe that the car is fine and that your low MPG has more to do with the driving style/speed/conditions. The 45mph is a baseline that we can all relate to. If you consistantly drive 85mph you can expect to consistantly get mpg in the sub-40mpg range, esp. if you have a relatively heavy load in the car as you described.

I suppose that could be the battery, but it's highly unusual for the battery to exceed about 115 degrees even in high heat high use conditions.

Filter replacement is more dependent upon driving conditions and distance than it is time, but if you're checking it each time then I'm satisfied that that isn't the problem.

5W20? (just making sure I cover all the bases, no offense intended)

12. fearless

fearless New Member

i cant remember what i put it, it was what the cap said. 5w30 or 5w20 im not sure

Matt

im going to check the codes via the screen tonight, also... what is the standard tire size for this car.

the mechanic also mentioned an ecu update, anyone done that?

Matt

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure all the '06s should have all the ECU updates.
    Doubt you'll find anything important on the diagnostic screen codes, but it can't hurt to look and write them down to have something to ask the techs about.

Anyway, check that tire pressure, let us know what you hear from the dealer, but don't expect to hear very much. I've yet to see someone post about poor FE that went to the dealer who found something wrong and fixed it. That said, have them check your alignment as well while you're there. A lot of Prii come 'off the boat' with too much toe in and that can have a real impact on FE and tire wear.

14. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My guess is that your poor mpg arises from a combination of issues. I would recommend to drive at a constant speed on the highway using cruise control.

If you can do 50 miles on the highway at 65mph using CC when driving with no load and get sub-45mpg my guess is that there is an issue with your car.

I don't know that highway mileage would be affected by anything else other than a combination of severe head wind, heavy cargo or mid-30psi tire pressure. We are obviously assuming you are running at D (not at B gear) and that your traffic is not stop and go.

I have never managed less than 42 mpg and that was when the car and the tires were brand new.

15. fearless

fearless New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ystasino @ Aug 7 2007, 05:38 PM) [snapback]492061[/snapback]</div>
    does anyone know how to retrieve the codes on a 2006 package number 2?

Matt

16. donee

donee New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi Fearless,

Check that your AC control temp is down below 83 F. Above I think its 85, the car automatically goes into max hot. This is just like max cold, but the electic heater and car heater both chime in to blow hot air. Its a bit of annoyance, just as the max cold is on cool days when you do not want heat, because one is in the winter coat, and inside the car is too warm for the coat.

Your oil level must also be BELOW the top pip on the oil stick. Three quarts of oil, after filling the filter before putting the filter on the car, results in 1/4 inch below the top pip. So that is like 3 1/4 quarts of oil MAX.

We are all assuming your new tires are 185/15 s which is the standard size for the standard Prius (not the Touring), as you have not mentioned changing wheels or tire sizes. What make and model are those new tires ? 17 inch wheels with 225 section width tires would certainly result in low 40's mpg.

The side-by-side test is sufficient for me to believe there is something to be figured out with your car.

Higher octane automotive fuels have poorer energy content per gallon. Use regular. Might try some injector cleaner with a tank. A half-plogged injector could be messing things up.

Being in a more rural area, you really need to check for rodent nesting materials blocking the battery ventilation exhaust under the wheel wells. There are black plastic tubes that run from the battery to rubber flaps at the wheel wells. This is where the air from the passenger compartment battery vent goes. Rodent nesting materials can stop the batttery cooling fan too. These can be accessed from inside the rear of the car by removing everything. A good site with lots of pictures is Hobbit's. Just google Hobbit and Prius, and you will find it ! I am sure he has pictures of how to dismantle the battery ventilation stuff on there somewhere. Do not dismantle the battery. You may find a trail leading into the battery. You will need a Toyota Tech to do that! There are a few cases where the plastic grills had to be replaced/reinforced with hardware cloth, and moth balls deposited in the vents. Mice nests have been found all the way inside the battery case! Being next to broad fields, the natural habitat of mice and volls, this is my best guess as to what it happening with your car. If this is it, donate some money to the local raptor rehibilitation group. A nest of red tail hawks in your neighbor hood will do a good job of keeping those critters under control.

17. fearless

fearless New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(donee @ Aug 7 2007, 08:43 PM) [snapback]492139[/snapback]</div>
    the tires are brand new good years and they match the size the door sticker states

Matt

18. fearless

fearless New Member

does the maint req light blink on startup, mine blinks mabey 10 times then shuts off....

Matt

19. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You've had this car for 56k miles?? Just seems like this is something you would have noticed and figured out about 46k miles ago.

Yes, at 4500 miles after the last reset the maint req light will start to blink for a few seconds after start up. At 5000 miles after the last reset it will beep and the light will come on continuously until you reset it.

It is NOT a problem light, just a timely (milely?) reminder to get the car serviced.

20. fearless

fearless New Member

i am not the primary driver