1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VGA Touch Monitor

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by ibcs, Mar 21, 2006.

1. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have completed I think the last mod to the Prius except for the EV Kit that I'm waiting for delivery.

I installed a car computer along with a flip up VGA Monitor in the storage bin. I have one question. I need a constant 12v for the clock on the VGA Monitor and to allow the touch screen to retain it's settings. I can tap into the aux plug to take care of the switched power, but where is the easiest place in the dash to find constant power?

I've included some pictures to show how the screen works. I had to loose the smoked plastic cover to allow for the screen to flip out and up. Overall, I'm very pleased with the installation. I did have to cut that bottom plastic piece extensively to make the unit fit, but the plate covers anything that I had to cut.

I used a VIA motherboard and a DC adapter case from short-circuit.com. Everything went smoothly, but to close up the project I need to find a constant 12V in the front of the car.

Thanks again for another great guide by Chris Dragon for the disassembly of the front dash. It matched identically for the 2006 even though it was written for the 2004. No changes on how the dash is assembled.

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Where do you have the computer mounted? I have mine under the seat and just splice into the constant power going to PSU for the screen power.

3. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I will post a picture of the computer, but it is hidden in the storage compartment along side the sub-woofer. I still need to find an easy place to tap for the constant 12v. I have the navigation package so I did not have any room under the driver seat.

VGA cable and USB go along the passenger door to the VGA screen in the front.

4. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You can also try tapping the light blue wire on the JBL amp. That is the constant power. There is a guide about fibreglassing and there's a wiring chart in there if you need it for referencce.

5. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    First I would like to thank Daniel for the information for constant power off the JBL Amp.

Does anyone know a place to get 12v constant in the dash area? I'd prefer not to run a wire to the JBL Amp, but that is still an option.

---Kent

6. p626808

p626808 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    There is a gray wire that is on one of the MFD connectors.. That is used for the canview product.. I know it is 12V.. not sure if it is switched or constant.. ..
    Norm or evan want to chime in?

Scott

7. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Coastaltech sells an always on kit for the 12v outlet. Basicly it is just a wire and taps. They connect to a light green wire coming from the fuse box under the dash on the drivers side. The wire comes from plug 1k, Pin 2

You may also want to access Toyota's informatin service TIS and for $10 get a day of downloading manuals. Starting with the electrical diagrams.

8. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Coastal's sells for about $10, but they have the instructions on their site so you could just follow that and use your own wire. Then tap off that as ScubaX suggested.

9. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It is a switched +12 V. Wont work for what you are looking for.
    You can tap on the main relay inside of the cabin; having the left vent and cover of the power button removed, by the left hand side above, you will see a shielded box with a thick cable connected to it, it has a plug so it can be disconnected, you can slide a piece of wire inside the female connector and will have 12V constant. I will suggest you to use an inline fuse for this application ;)

10. ibcs

ibcs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks everyone,

I'm going to finish wiring this weekend. Thank's to everyone that gave me the different options to obtain the 12V. I think I'm going to use the Coastal option, but final decision will come once I get it back apart.

---Kent