1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Vibration and check engine on my 2008

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kseabythec, Oct 4, 2009.

1. kseabythec

kseabythec New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My loving 2008 Prius started a strange vibration this morning, then after a bit, the check engine light came on. Of course this happens on a Sunday and I have an early morning appointment tomorrow that I cannot miss. I'm unsure if it's ok to drive my car to the shop with it vibrating (almost like a stutter, not wanting to go kind of vibration). We change the oil every 3500-4000 miles on it and have never ever had issues with my car before. It has almost 40,000 miles on it, but I purchased the extended warranty, so I know I'm covered, just not sure if I should drive it the 30 miles to the dealership or have it towed...any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Regarding the vibration, can you describe when it happens. For example, whenever the gasoline engine is on (even when the car is stopped), or whenever the car goes beyond a certain speed, etc.

Had you recently purchased fuel? I'm wondering if your engine might be suffering from bad fuel.

How do the tires look? Might you have a nail in one tire?

To answer your question about whether you should drive the car or not, if the check engine light is the only light that is on, and you don't see any obvious problem, you could try a test drive to see whether the driveability symptoms get worse or not. If not, and you think the car is safe to drive, then you might proceed, bringing your cellphone and a list of towing company phone #s with you.

3. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A lot of things can happen in 30 miles of driving, if your unable to isolate the cause of the vibration --asking a mechanical minded friend to look it over at your house - I wouldn't drive it.
    I once had a wheel lug nuts loose on a tire on a trip, simple problem but potentially very dangerous. Good luck.