1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

VICROADS registration fee Toyota Prius 2007

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by thienga66, Mar 29, 2010.

1. thienga66

thienga66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all

Would anyone who has a 2007 Prius Hybrid tell me how much you pay for VicRoads registration? I bought a second-hand Toyota Prius 2007 last month and the rego is due by mid May 2010. The charge is

Registration fee: $183.30
    TAC Charge: $619
    Insurance duty: 61.90

TOTAL $864.20

I'm shocked as I used to pay for my former car (Mitsubishi Mirage) approx $613 every year. Basically the TAC has increased for Toyota Prius compared to my old car Mitsubishi.

I cannot understand the logic for such an increase. Does it mean that Toyota Prius is more likely to cause accident than a Mitsubishi Mirage, and therefore the TAC needs to increase???

Thanks for clearing this mystery for me :)

Swan

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry, is this an aussie thang?:)

3. thienga66

thienga66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh, forgot to tell you that I am in Melbourne, Australia. The questions applies to registration fees in Melbourne.

Thanks,

Swan

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's also a state (Victoria) specific thing. I'm from NSW Australia and I didn't know what the "TAC" was.

Anyway I looked it up, it's basically just 3rd party injury insurance. In NSW we have to get it seperately (from rego) direct from an insurance company. The price is a random number between $270 and $570 depending on temperature, relative humidity and whether or not they like the look of you, which is very annoying for a complusory (if you want to drive) product.

The Prius definitely shouldn't be more than your other car. According to the pdf on the linked site you should pay between $333 and $429 depending on the "risk category" of your location. And according to that same pdf, all passenger cars under 10 seats are all charged at the identical rate. So yeah, go hassle them about it, because it looks wrong.

See: Transport Accident Charge