1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video: 2nd Prius Commercial "MPG" Shows Up, Still Embarrassing

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, May 20, 2009.

1. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Here's the 2nd Prius commercial titled "MPG". Basically because it talks about the Prius' 50 MPG rating. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions, so here's mine: these commercials are just embarrassing. Sure, my mother thinks the flower people are "cute", but I sincerely hope that 60-something women are not the "mainstream" group Toyota is looking to get into a 2010. More on my opinions later...

2 people like this.
  2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't see what's so "embarrassing" about the commercials.

3. Kablooie

Kablooie Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Prius is the car that makes you want to dance on tippy toes!

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The "Blue Man" commercials were burned with the premature release. So now they have another commercial and though "cute," it also cuts through the typical new car commercials in a nice way.

The problem is car commercials ranging from the local dealer to most manufacturers have all followed traditional "show the metal and list the <desirable feature>" To call them boring is a severe understatement. So car manufactures try to break through the conditioned-response, jaded, commercial script.

What we need is a "Hybrid Owner's Contest" for the funniest Prius, Insight, Focus, or other hybrid commercial. Rules:

• maximum 60 seconds
    • original content
    • dreadfully accurate
    • funny as possible
    • attribution of supporting music or other materials
    Bob Wilson

5. zcat3

zcat3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    These commercials are essentially "green washing." It is a bit absurd to call a Prius, or any car for that matter, "green", as they all do damage to the earth. These commercials, though "cute", are preaching to the choir. I would prefer to see a commercial where they show the utility of the car in terms of what it can do compared to other mainstream cars - kind of like that guy a few years back who decided to see how many hay bails he could fit in his Prius.

4 people like this.
  6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My 9 year old son liked it.
    I'm ready for something substantial, highlight the whiz-bang stuff, target the high tech 20s-40s age group who want high tech, cool, fuel efficient and eco-conscious in a car. Look how Ford marketed the SYNC technology, the stuff in the Prius blows that away.

2 people like this.
  7. Mr. Nelsby

Mr. Nelsby New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm a 36 year old heterosexual male. I like the commercials just fine.

What did you want? Heavy metal, flames/explosions, chicks in bikinis?

I really don't see what is "embarrassing" about the commercials. In fact, I just don't get how you could be embarrassed by a commercial, other than being full of lies the way a political one can be.

8. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I thought the first Prius ad was different/clever if a little cutesy, but a second is way too much cutesy and preaching. America picked up on the green aspect of the Prius a while ago, and now it's probably perceived as rubbing their noses in it, cutesy comes off as sarcastic now.

I agree with efusco, time to show some tech features and less treehugging...

1 person likes this.
  9. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Scene One; efusco and son are riding in conventional car. Son asks: "Dad, what is m-p-g?" Dad's response, "Tell you what, I'll give you an allowance for gas money each month and you get to keep anything left over. You will figure out from there."

Scene Two: Both in a 2010 Prius. [At this point I will hand off to the next poster to add the next lines.]

10. Dorisk

Dorisk New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I am a young 60 year old lady. What makes you think that only the 20 to 40 age group wants high tech, cool, fuel efficient and eco-conscious cars? I want a Prius precisely because of those items.

11. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

I don't think the 'Blue Man' commercials were burned because of their release... On the contrary, I don't think that whole concept was ever considered for regular tv commercials.

12. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The Baby Boomers are about 45 to 65 years old. Aren't they (ok, we) the demographic group with the largest number of potential customers?

Here's another thought. In times of economic trouble people like to escape with upbeat entertainment. This commercial provides 15 seconds of cheerfulness.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought this one is better (the music is less cheesy)

14. ManualOnly

ManualOnly New Member

You mean Toyota canned the versions with the Blue Man?

Don't tell me this is true! :Cry:

If it is, it will be a real pity as its intent is to showoff 2010 gizmos in the coolest-wordless possible way.

15. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, at least these new Prius commercials aren't any worse than that "saved by zero" campaign a few months back. THAT was horrible. :p

16. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I like the commercials.

If I was head of marketing at Toyota, I would hire Jack Black to do some funny Prius commercials to appeal the people in their 20s and 30s though (and older people). Make it a "cool people" trend, and it will become the new Civic (popularity).

17. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    i like the video
    nice made

18. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing at all makes me think that...what we know is that your demographic is ALREADY buying the car.

Toyota's plan is to really go mainstream with this thing and to do that you're going to need to attract the younger demographic much more so than they have up to now. To do that you need to give the Twitter/Facebook/iPhone crowd something to get excited about.

19. Pakman777

Pakman777 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree. I liked the first one (Harmony) as a "teaser" trailer, but need more meat and potatoes now. And yes, I was impressed by the sync commercials as well. Why not have the invisible driver with lane assist or parking assist engaged, with the usual "do not try this at home" disclaimer . . . some humor that engages the viewer (does anyone like to be preached at . . . especially if they essentially already agree with the message?) that shows off the features, and has some FUN with the car.

1 person likes this.
  20. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Blue Man videos were never planned to be public commercials. The videos were made specifically for internal entertainment and education for our dealers.

That they didn't remain internal... well, now, that's another matter altogether. I still wonder how they got out... :rolleyes:

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA