1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video: 2nd Prius Commercial "MPG" Shows Up, Still Embarrassing

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Danny, May 20, 2009.

1. mjv

mjv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You need to take a lot of different tacks on the advertisements, like GEICO for example, they have Cavemen, Gekkos and Famous Spokesmen ads all running at the same time, because they hit different segments of the market.

They should try something with humour, showing off the new features, like a girl taking her driving test, using the parallel parking, lane assist features to ace the test. Although the following commercial may go a bit too far...... :D

I had a funny commercial involving the 2009 Prius that I was sent a while back, hopefully I won't be banned for life after posting the link, watch at your own risk. I can't post URLs yet, however.

members.cox.net / mjv_6 / Videos / carcommercial.avi

Max

2. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Luckily, I don't have time to watch TV.

3. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Doug, like they say... there's always an insideder. As a matter of fact, the greatest threat to any corporation is its employees.

Now, regarding the commercial.... cute. I remember when Saturn ran commercials that emphasised itself as a 'people' company and had people sitting on the ground in the position you would be if you were sitting in a care, then scooting all around town. Cute.

Now that the ice is borken, it is the time for Toyota to go the next step and sell the car.

4. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  5. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's an idea for a Prius spot:

Opening shot: Hundreds of people in a forest happily hugging trees.
    After a moment, new Prius pulls up in foreground.
    Tree huggers look confused. One goes over to touch the Prius. Big smile. Starts to hug Prius.
    Everyone leaves trees to hug Prius.

Voiceover: "Hugging trees is so last year"

1 person likes this.
  6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Cool, as I was suspecting...

7. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You know, that isn't bad. I kind of like that.

8. Prius Team

Prius Team Toyota Marketing USA

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Eh, just having fun with you! I WISH we were that good.

Doug Coleman
    Prius Product Manager
    Toyota Motor Sales, USA

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Doug, are you getting this?

10. Jabber

Jabber Chicagoland Prius Guy

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    MUCH better idea.

11. joe1347

joe1347 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Appallingly bad commercial. Is Toyota intentionally trying to suppress sales (to normal people)? It certainly looks like Toyota doesn't want to sell too many Priuses.

12. geeky teacher

geeky teacher New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I checked out the non-video ads. They are bright and green, but the round, rolling hills covered in grass will always bring up images of Teletubbies. Hmmm... Can you picture Tinkie Winkie standing near the car instead of women in bikinis? Which demographic group would that attract? Families with children? Or, maybe the perfectly groomed turf is supposed to evoke thoughts of pleasant days on the golf course? I definitely prefer the TV commercials.

13. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How about a Star Trek commercial?

Kirk: I see you bought a Prius, Spock.
    Spock: It was the only logical choice. With it, we should get at least 50 light years per kilogram of red matter.
    Kirk: All ahead warp 7!
    Scotty: My poor hybrid synergy drive engines! Where are we going, anyway?
    Kirk: I don't know, but wherever it is, were going boldly - I mean boldy going - whatever.
    Ohura: (Looking at Spock) Going boldly - I like that!

14. fredthepostman

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think your on the right track. The commercial should highlight the high tech features of the car. Spock and Kirk arguing over what they like about the car the most. SEEMS LOGICAL TO ME.:D

15. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Should Spock mention how spaceships are designed aerodynamically for space travel?
    The Borg had it right.

16. technoratic

technoratic Newbie Prius Owner :)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dorisk, You ROCK! :)

This car's appeal transends the high-tech 20-40 age group (event though I'm part of that demographic). I've seen people from wider age range (20-70s) driving the Gen 2. I don't see that changing with the 2010.

17. Frayadjacent

Frayadjacent Resident Conservative

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I think the 'flower people' commercial is SILLY. It's going to color the car as SILLY.

I think a good commercial would be showing a manly man driving it up to a destination, then four adults get out of the car, open the trunk and remove some junk (this all showing it's interior size and utility) and then saying how it got XXmpg all while transporting all that stuff around.

The 'saving the planet' angle is old, and many of us don't agree with that angle. If that is the only 'benefit' of the car being advertised, Toyota is cutting out market share.

18. GreenIsGood

GreenIsGood New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My first impression, upon seeing the new Prius commercials, was "Wth?" Upon second and third viewings, I have now concluded they are merely creepy.

19. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Okay, I'm new to this forum, and not yet a Prius owner so what do I have to lose? I'll probably be banned for life but I'll shoot at the Pink Elephant in the room.

First of all, believe me, I don't say this to disparage anyones sexual orientation or lifestyle. I'm a hetrosexual male but who cares? From a stereotypical standpoint I think the new Prius ads are the "Gayest" ads I've ever seen. No, I don't need explosions and chicks in bikinis but I don't see how Toyota could make the ads any more "Gay" without having Richard Simmons or The Village People chasing after the car tossing a basket full of rose petals.

Many people are probably familar with comedian Jeff Dunham and his whole act about how "gay" his baby blue Prius is? Again..not that I care about how a car is perceived or even about the sexual orientation of a percentage of it's owners, but I mention Dunham because it is a perception that is fostered outside in the real world. Toyota with these ads certainly aren't helping themselves separate themselves from this perception. ( If you even think separation is needed, warranted or necessary, which I do not ).

I really hope my saying this doesn't offend anyone. Because ultimately I think the whole "Prius is Gay" undercurrent is just ignorant and stupid. I suppose you could over analyse the whole thing, and say The Prius threatens some people because it's a car that reached an iconic level of acceptance based on it's efficency as opposed to speed, horsepower or size.

Bottom line? I think these ads any way you want to look at them are poor. If it was Toyotas contention to mainstream The Prius, then these ads just play into many stereotypes about Prius owners. What audience is Toyota trying to reach with these ads? In my opinion if you haven't bought a Prius to be in harmony with earth and nature yet, you aren't going to now, or because of these ads.

I think these ads smack of being thought out in response to Honda's ads with the Insight, specifically the Points of Light ad. It's like Toyota thinks they need to defend the top of the "Green" hill at all costs. Toyota should relax. What have they learned the past 15 years? Build the better car, and the better car will sell better. In my opinion just do some creative ads revealing the "mainstream" virtues of the new Prius.

Humanized dancing visions of nature whistling and singing as The Prius harmlessly drives through the landscape leaving an animated nature in it's wake?

Sorry, try again Toyota.

1 person likes this.
  20. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I usually read a whole thread before posting. I'm making an exception here to respond to the OP: I thought the commercial was rather nice. It has no substance, but most commercials are fingernails on a chalkboard. I only see TV when at a hotel room, which happens half a dozen times a year for a night, on my way somewhere. Most of the commercials I see are for scam products like diet pills. Here we have a pleasant tune and pleasant, if silly images, for a car that does what it was designed for.