1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video converter from carconverters

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by vlenac, Mar 23, 2006.

1. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I read the specs of the product and it is not a simple unit to connect, the output video signal wire MUST be connected in the right way and combination for the MFD thru CANview to display any signal at all. If you need any male SCART connector I could spare one to you. The switch selector should be at RGBS. If you have OEM navigation, it makes things more complex and you have to splice OEM connections.
    Have you ever consider the product that hybridinterfaces presents in their web site? Really it is plug and play with out any inconveniences. This converter, shipped to USA is about $112.00. ;)

3. jkusnetz

jkusnetz New Member

I'm doing something sort of similar with a scan converter for my Mac project. Which CAN-View version do you have? Are you set to RGB+S, are the wires going to the correct pins on the SCART (if you are using the V2 CAN-view) I bought a RGBS BNC to SCART cable, but found the sync wires were not connected to the correct pins and had to resolder.

4. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    this product should work perfectly with canview.
    (I am using the same product with only one video input.)
    which release of canview are you using?
    do you have a nav unit?
    basically:
    you should connect the RGBS out and the ground from the converter's DB9 to a scart plug.
    this scart plug goes to canview.
    you should activate the converter: you have a wire going to reverse signal , a manual switch or a remote to do it.
    you should put the right parameter in canview : activate video on reverse.
    there is another possibilty : it is to insert this converter between canview and the mfd : you should prepare a T-harness . i can give you more details on the way to do it .
    the switch between canview and the video would be activated either automatically in reverse or manually.

5. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for the SCART proposal, but I allready have one that Norm made form my converter.But this australian converter won't work. I don' have OEM navi and If I connect the converter wires like in installation manual there is no signal conversion...
    Tried last week with LEK converter (Norm suggested) and that converter is working perfectly...

6. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You are doing great job and is very interesting to read your page with work updates on it..
    I am now using CAN view v2 with LEK2CCD converter and all is working perfectly from the first moment that I connected all toghether.Even, I had no problems with MFD resolution when connected to Dell Inspiron notebook (see photos). Problems I have with Carconverters converter #236, which was my first choice. There is no way to make it work. I'll put some questions to Frenchie, maybe he will know something.

7. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thank you for the instructions you made. I have decided to buy this converter when I read your article on backup camera installation. Congratulation for the great job you done. Unfortunatlly my australian converter won't work when is connected as you say, or when connected like in install manual. My Prius is no Navi so I first attempted to connect it with only the five output wires (RGBS+ground) attached (Norm prepared the SCART cable) to the SCART port 1 of the CAN view v2 and on video1 of the converter I inserted composite signal.The remaing four wires of the input side (RGB wires of the input to bypass) I leaved not connected. So, the idea was to take the composite signal from video1 input and to transmit it (converted in RGBS) to the five output wires.
    The result was no output image,output voltage only on blue 0,62V, others on 0V.
    Question 1: is possible to connect the converter #236 in that way, and to have the #236 converting?
    Question 2: is there anyone using #236, or similar converter, with Prius with no OEM Navi?

8. frenchie

frenchie Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will come back to you later, but definitely we will find a way to have it working.
    B)

9. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(frenchie @ Mar 24 2006, 11:59 PM) [snapback]229660[/snapback]</div>
    Hi all,
    Found the way to make work the australian converter! My unit was foulty. The australians sent me the new one and it is working very vell! Much better image (more color, more brightness) then LEK converter.
    The information for everyone is that still there is no need to connect the input wires (those for bypass signal from navi i.e. which my Prius is without). It needs to connect only the 5 output wires (R,G,B,S,Ground) and high quality image is outputed. So, this converter is capable to work perfectly also on vehicles without OEM navi unit!

10. taaustin

taaustin New Member

So - any luck with any of these connections an a video-ipod?

11. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(taaustin @ May 28 2006, 09:09 PM) [snapback]262087[/snapback]</div>
    You should have no problems connecting video-ipod to this converter if ipod has a composite PAL/NTSC video output (RCA,SVIDEO...).

12. _echo

_echo Junior Member

I noticed that the 'normal' MFD screens occupy the whole screen, while the video I'm sending over these converter boxes seem to leave a 1/4" gap at the bottom. When running a laptop, we can use all the resolution we can get..

Anyone else seeing this?

I'm currently using a VGA scan converter that outputs RGBS. All settings yield a black line at the bottom.

Of course, this might be the way the video processor on the MFD handles 'normal' NTSC...

13. vlenac

vlenac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(_echo @ May 29 2006, 08:40 PM) [snapback]262404[/snapback]</div>
    I am using Can-View to generate video on the MFD. No gap with that configuration.
    You can ask eflier how Can-View creates image on MFD.