1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Video input to MFD

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Mike N, May 22, 2004.

1. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Has anybody determined if and where there is a video input to the MFD on the 2004 Prius? I hate to ask Dave at CoastalTech as he is developing products for profit. He probably knows but I don't want to put him in the position of declining the information for business reasons. Is there an input on the back of the display unit or is it on the Nav unit under the seat?

2. rflagg

rflagg Member

FWIW, when I added the XM radio to my car, you have to detach the MFD. There are four cables attached to it - two at the top that are approximately the size of the power supply cable running to your motherboard in your computer, the other two are slightly smaller - about half the size. Overall, I'd guess about 60 wires total running to/from. do not know about the NAV unit.

-m.

3. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

every time i see 'MFD' i think you are cursing out the display... :D

4. Brian

Brian Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I never thought of that, but it is quite funny!!! :lol:

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    > every time i see 'MFD' i think you are cursing out the display...

Actually, quite a number of people are.

The "Multi-Display" is viewed as an empowering tool, an aspect of control taken away from the automakers that don't want you to be that well informed.

I realized the reference ages ago and stopped using it to prevent any offensive misinterpretation.

An since acronyms are problematic in my field (computer programmer), I try to avoid them unless absolutely necessary. They contribute to confusion.

Stick to "Multi-Display".

6. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

well, i do know what it stands for, it's just that when i look quick each time, my mind naturally gravitates to the lowest common denominator :eek:

7. Mike N

Mike N New Member

This thread seams to have taken off on a tangent. My original question still hasn't been answered. Does anybody know where the video input to the MF MD is?

8. aarons12

aarons12 New Member

yes, we priuschat folk are very tangential

9. bookrats

bookrats New Member

The answer, apparently, is no. It's been asked on various threads for months.

Apparently can be done, given a lot of research and work (given that Coastal Dave is working on it), but no documents know about how to do it yet.

A more detailed thread on the subject can be found here.

10. brosnan

brosnan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It seems like one could cut the R,G,B,SYNC signals on the cable from nav unit connector N3, insert a video switch box and use another source of video to drive the MultiFunctionDisplay. The other source would likely need to be 60 field/second interlaced 525 scan line 1V analog video separated into R,G,B,SYNC. SYNC is mostly high (1V) with 4.5us pulses to 0V at 15.75KHz. This is based on oscilloscope views of the signals the nav unit generates on pins 2,3,7 and 8 of N3 (the 10 pin connector). The
    R,G,B outputs are only active for MAP,DEST and MENU selections.

The blue connector on the left is interesting as a video possibility. It's not mentioned in the repair manual. Pins 2 and 5 have 0.1uF input capacitance and very high input resistance. I've wondered if they are NTSC video input. However, delivering DVD player video into them in various fashions doesn't change the display away from the nav map even in reverse. Maybe pins 1 and 4 are AVCLAN and need some kind of command to arrive activating the connector. They have 2.5V quiescent levels, but have 0.008uF input capacitance - 8 times higher than N3's AVCLAN pins, so maybe it's some other protocal. Pins 3 and 6 seem to be open circuits (<5pF input capacitance). Anyone know what this connector is really?

Photo:

11. rflagg

rflagg Member

Brosnan,

Do you have the wiring manual? If not, lemme know and I can pdf the pages for the MultiDisplay with Nav and email them to you. I know very little about reading wiring diagrams.

-m.

12. Mike N

Mike N New Member

That would be absolutly fantastic if you could send me those pages.
    Thanks heaps, Mike

13. rflagg

rflagg Member

No problem, I'll scan and pdf them tonight - please pm me your email and I'll send it that way, just because I do believe Danny hasn't heard anything yet about the legality of posting those manuals on this site, so I don't want him to get in trouble, or me in trouble with him. :)

-m.

14. pakman

pakman New Member

The input is in the nav system, under the seat.
    No, I do not know why it is there. But there is an video in pin there.

(check on the prius email groups web sites....they have manual screen shots there).

dpak

15. brosnan

brosnan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've looked around for the screen shots you referenced but so far can't find them. Could you help out with a link or other hint?
    Thanks!

16. brosnan

brosnan New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    blue connector

The blue connector on the back of the 2004 Denso nav unit is connected to very little. As you can see in the photo below, there are many optional, unloaded components on the printed circuit board near the connector. No silkscreen clues as to the function.

17. norman

norman New Member

Looks like we can also patch in to the audio for an mp3 player etc.

18. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius

You're a programmer who doesn't use acronyms? No MQ, PHP, VB, etc. I find this somewhat difficult to believe!

19. boa8

boa8 New Member

That's the difference between Minnesota programmer [Broken External Image]:http://www.smailiki.nm.ru/anim/anim_diatel.gif and NJ programmer [Broken External Image]:http://www.smailiki.nm.ru/ico/ico04.gif.

20. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    While you could patch audio into this, given that the unit only connects to the left front speaker (woofer only), don't expect any sort of reasonable fidelity.